My charging not starting at the programmed time

Marshall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S; 2021 Macan S
Country flag
Although I have set my charging profile to 85% (I think) the car keeps charging to 100%. The charging does start at the programmed time. What am I doing wrong? Attached is a photo of the profile. Thanks
Porsche Taycan My charging not starting at the programmed time 92019E4C-1478-4139-A167-C7F5D012944D
Sponsored

Gubbjaevel

First Name
F
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
TaycanT'20
Country flag
"Minimum charge". It will charge to this as soon as you plug in and authorize the charge.
After that - it continues to charge unless there is any other instruction (timer for instance).

I just use timer, that's it. And direct charge when at Ionity.

Gogs

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, 911 4S, Range Rover Sport Hybrid, Range Rover Vouge
Country flag
Although I have set my charging profile to 85% (I think) the car keeps charging to 100%. The charging does start at the programmed time. What am I doing wrong? Attached is a photo of the profile. Thanks
92019E4C-1478-4139-A167-C7F5D012944D.jpeg
Have you ticked the profile to ensure it is the active profile?

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
92019E4C-1478-4139-A167-C7F5D012944D.jpeg
You have set the charging profile to charge to 85% immediately and that is what 5he car will do. If you look at the right side of your photo, there is some more information. This function seems only to work with some extra equipment, and I think that is the Porsche Home Energy Manager? Not sure though.

If you would like to charge to 85% please use Timers. Set the timer to have the car charged at say 07.00 and also set if you would like to have it precooled or prewarmed. Make sure you tick the box for this and untick the box for profiles.

Porsche have over complicated this charging setting in my view. Could be so much easier.

Try it and see how you get on.

OP
OP

Marshall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S; 2021 Macan S
Country flag
Thanks all. I have set a timer so I hope that works.

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2019 BMW i8, 2023 BMW iXM60
Country flag
So, there is no way to just set your daily charge level to 85% and forget it?

If that is the case then this will be exceedingly stupid. There is no way I'm setting a timer every effin' time I plug my car in!

My TurboS is "on the boat", so if anyone has any insight whether you can just set max charge to 85% ONCE and be done with it, I would appreciate it... (Obviously bumping it to 100% only when needed for long trips)

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
So, there is no way to just set your daily charge level to 85% and forget it?

If that is the case then this will be exceedingly stupid. There is no way I'm setting a timer every effin' time I plug my car in!

My TurboS is "on the boat", so if anyone has any insight whether you can just set max charge to 85% ONCE and be done with it, I would appreciate it... (Obviously bumping it to 100% only when needed for long trips)
Yes, there is.
Just set a date and set repeat ("herhalen") for the whole week.
You can set level, desired time(s) and airo for preheat/cool.
No problem.

Porsche Taycan My charging not starting at the programmed time Screenshot_20200802-204750

Gogs

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I dint use timers. Just a profile that charges to 85%. I actually do use a timer with no charging to heat the car to 23 c every weekday.

Gogs

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
How do you do this?
Press charging button on pcm, click timers, unselect any and all of these, click profiles on top line again. Set min charge to 85%, make sure you select that timer. I’ll do a video for you if you want?

UroDoc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
812 Superfast; AMG GT 53; Taycan 4S; DB11
Country flag
Press charging button on pcm, click timers, unselect any and all of these, click profiles on top line again. Set min charge to 85%, make sure you select that timer. I’ll do a video for you if you want?
Hi, I have that but it then goes all the way up to 100% - doing what is says which is 'minimum 85%'. Is there a way to have maximum charge be 85%?

Singularity

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY 2020 Taycan 4S, MY 2022 Audi Q7 60 TFSIe
Country flag
I can guarantee you don't need the TIMERS for anything else other than specifying a specific charging time. You might want to do this if the electricity is cheaper at certain times of day, or if your fuses are too taxed at certain times - who knows. But for simply charging to X percent immediately and stopping the charge automatically, the regular profiles are quite sufficient.

In fact I recommend just using the default profile named "general" to do this. Simply set the percentage such as 85% and it'll work like you specified.

Note you'll want to make sure "Direct Charging" is NOT ACTIVATED. This will override the profiles and just charge to 100%. Direct Charging will switch back on every time you use a public DC charger, so you need to keep an eye on this occasionally. Luckily it's extremely easy to check it as the button is right there on the charging status screen and it's a big one.

Another reason you can screw this up is by using the timers in some weird way. So please disable any timers you might have unless you actually want the charging to happen at a specific time.

The only thing I need to touch is the "Direct Charging" button which conveniently allows me to bypass my general profile and charge to 100% when need be. Another fine way to charge to 100% is to have another profile which is set to 100% charge (and to switch to that one when 100% is needed). But personally I think the Direct Charging feature is most convenient for this. And indeed, I have not used timers, as I have no need for timed charging.

Note that some terms Porsche system uses might be misleading. If they talk about minimum charge or target charge or whatever - that may very well mean maximum as well (again unless using Direct Charging which bypasses everything).

Finally I'll have to say that the screenshot in the original post isn't very useful by itself. What I'd like to also see is the charging status screen which shows your charging progress. As on this screen it'll show what profile is actually active and if you have Direct Charging on or not.

Last edited:

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo (sold), Mini Cooper SE, Mercedes Sprinter RV, BMW K1600GT
Country flag

I just use timer, that's it. And direct charge when at Ionity.
I assume you mean at an Ionity Level 2 charging station.

“Direct Charge” ONLY affects Level 2 charging.
“Direct Charge” does NOT affect DC Fast charging
Sponsored