Dslev

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
As an update to an earlier post, maybe you all know this, but I realized the "Profile" selecting preferred charge times is somewhat useless. If I set my timer to charge and be ready by a specific time, it begins to charge, not when I plug it in, but when it calculates it needs to begin to be done by the proscribed time. So what is the preferred charge times for? If you need your car, like I do, by 6am, it will begin to charge a couple of hours (if I'm down 10-15%) before and stop at 85% (6am). I don't know of any area that the best electric rates aren't in the middle of the night. What am I missing?
Sponsored

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
The cheap rate electricity period is different from different providers - UK for example.

My free rate is between 00:00 and 07:00 and for others it may be 00:00 - 04:00. Mine is free due to my specific EV tarrif but by default there is a reduced period or an off-peak rate.

Preferred charge time gives some flexibility therefore.

Gotti

First Name
Gotti
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
I have the same problem...can't figure it out...preferred charge is 00:30 to 4:30 and a timer with departure time of 07:00...but it kicked in at 23.10...I have removed all timers and profiles in the past but to no avail...right now I have unticked the timer and now it's on pause. I think when it hits 00:30 it will start charging

Gwaihir

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
I’ve had the same problem. I’m sure it’s because the car tries to reach the charge level by the departure time in one go. If there’s not enough time, it will start early to accomplish this, rather than - say - charge to the required level over multiple charging days. For my case ( I only want to charge from 12:30 to 4:30) at 7.6kW, I re-charge to 85% when I’m down around 60%. this the car can do in the 4 hours available.

andrewket

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Taycan Turbo, Tesla Y*2; Prev S,X,3,996TT
Country flag
My car has never followed the preferred charging time. I have it set, but I use the timer with a departure of 4:55am which usually guarantees the car only charges between 1-5am (I have the 19.2kW charger). Without the timer I haven’t figured out why the car does what it does. To be fair I haven’t retested after the latest update.

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
I’ve had the same problem. I’m sure it’s because the car tries to reach the charge level by the departure time in one go. If there’s not enough time, it will start early to accomplish this, rather than - say - charge to the required level over multiple charging days. For my case ( I only want to charge from 12:30 to 4:30) at 7.6kW, I re-charge to 85% when I’m down around 60%. this the car can do in the 4 hours available.
Very similar to my thinking, which now seems to work fine on Octopus Go.

I have maximum (minimum!) charge set to 55% on a Home Profile and don't select General Profile.
If its below this level it starts to charge straight away if I plug it in and will then stop at 55%.

I then have the timer set to 80% between 00.30 and 04.30am. But also with departure time set to 04.30am (no precool/preheat selected).
This all seems to work fine now.

I generally plug in any time it's below 70%. May as well keep it topped up on the cheaper rate tariff.
ABC=Always Be Charging as someone pointed out on here.

Last edited:

ccooke01

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S and ID.4
Country flag
Very similar to my thinking, which now seems to work fine on Octopus Go.

I have maximum (minimum!) charge set to 55% on a Home Profile and don't select General Profile.
If its below this level it starts to charge straight away if I plug it in and will then stop at 55%.

I then have the timer set to 80% between 00.30 and 04.30am. But also with departure time set to 04.30am (no precool/preheat selected).
This all seems to work fine now.

I generally plug in any time it's below 70%. May as well keep it topped up on the cheaper rate tariff.
ABC=Always Be Charging as someone pointed out on here.
I use a Timer and a Profile to take advantage of the cheaper overnight tariff and it works every time for me.

Porsche Taycan Car starting charging before the preferred charge time 1635149266633

I have noticed that as the nights are getting colder it only manages to reach 84%, but I understand this is caused by the drop in temperature and nothing to do with the software.

If I am planning a trip I also include an additional timer for pre-heating prior to departure.
Sponsored