jimshadow

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S, DB9, 599, Denali, X1, Tiguan
Country flag
Been reading today about road tripping and just came across @evanevery’s post here: https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/t...rom-a-1400-mile-trip-in-two-travel-days.2580/

I take a golf trip from Indiana to North Carolina twice a year. Really want to take the Taycan on the next one (spring), but am concerned about 1 section of the trip.
I downloaded the ABRP app and plugged in my trip which looks like the attached image. The section in orange is what I’m concerned about....this section takes you though the mountains of W. Virginia and its the best part of the drive. I typically fly through this section as its filled with elevation changes (5-7% grades), fast paced curves, etc.... ABRP says “Max speed 50mph” through this section, I’m assuming to preserve battery. This will put me at Wytheville with 10% battery left. I’m a little nervous that I’ll run out of juice prior to that if I‘m driving in a spirited fashion. Any thoughts on this? Given that there are NO chargers along this section, it seems a little risky...what do you experienced road-trippers think?

Jim

Porsche Taycan Road Trip Question CDBD3119-A61E-45C1-87B3-52870970DB96
Sponsored

Last edited:

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
yeah speed and cold weather will make that section dicy - 10% is a bit close but possible - I'd do the section even slow to "gain" some battery % - and as you make progress over the pass you can "add" speed as you get closer…10% is my threshold for "being careful" on a segment.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
according to plugshare there are some "slow" chargers along the way -so you'd be unlikely to get stranded, but you may be delay'd - an hour or 2 stop (if necessary) in Charleston could give you a 10% buffer…

PanameraFrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I would wager $1,000 you can make it through that section with much % to spare if you do range mode at any speed. I'd guess you'd make it through with a bit to spare if you went ham on it.

So you can range mode it no problemo or just be ready to stop at a slower charger if needed. Or range mode for a bit to gauge consumption than play around with the extra.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Given that there are NO chargers along this section, it seems a little risky...what do you experienced road-trippers think?
you are correct there are no "fast" chargers on this segment but there are plenty of "slower" chargers - a 1 or 2 hour stop can net you 10-20% battery - so you're unlikely to get stranded - but you might be delay'd…

see plug share picture below - the "green" pins are slow chargers which should net 10% battery per-hour (or close to that)

Porsche Taycan Road Trip Question Screen Shot 2020-12-27 at 2.35.58 PM

OP
OP
jimshadow

jimshadow

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thanks! I’ve been looking at Plugshare. Looks like I’m going to have an issue once I get to Wallace NC. THere’s a bank of 8 Tesla Superchargers at the hotel that we stay at, however, there are none that I can use in the Taycan and it looks like there are no other ones in the area. Might have to get to 100% in Raleigh before heading all the way down. I can figure that piece out when it gets closer.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
EV road warriors should own/have a TeslaTap/JDapter - it lets you use Tesla AC chargers (NOT superchargers) - so you can charge at hotels that have Tesla Chargers.

Last edited:

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
@jimshadow there are 50 kW Chargepoint chargers right next to the Wallace Superchargers - so you should be good…

Porsche Taycan Road Trip Question Screen Shot 2020-12-27 at 2.50.53 PM

Porsche Taycan Road Trip Question Screen Shot 2020-12-27 at 2.51.49 PM

OP
OP
jimshadow

jimshadow

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thanks @daveo4EV ! I’ll order the TeslaTap for sure.

OP
OP
jimshadow

jimshadow

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
@daveo4EV , did you find those on the Plugshare app? I don’t see them listed, but good to know that they are there. I know the MadBoar well! :)

Jim

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
@daveo4EV , did you find those on the Plugshare app? I don’t see them listed, but good to know that they are there. I know the MadBoar well! :)

Jim
yes screen shots are from plugshare…

arijaycomet

First Name
Ari
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Porsche Taycan 4 Cross Turismo
Country flag
I’m your neighbor here; Cleveland, Ohio. Picked up my Taycan 4S just 5 days ago. We’ve had EVs since 2012 and we’ve had 10 different Tesla vehicles. (Every model including Roadster, S/3/X/Y). My wife still has a 2020 model Y.

We leave tomorrow for Savannah GA area and we’re taking the Tesla. Similar issue to you, the route near Charleston leaves much to be desired. Unlike you, we’d take I-77 the entire way down through Charlotte. Keep tabs on elevation — that is part of what is driving the color you see there. Yes, fun to drive, but not when your battery meter is screaming at you LOL

I’ll be glad to take road trips in my Taycan. I’ve done 2,500+ mile trips in Tesla before, and did two epic road trips in my R80-battery pack Tesla Roadster. But ... the empty DC fast in Charleston WV makes I-77 a bit of a headache still. Side note: i had thought of calling the local Audi dealer, as many of them have DC fast charging, but I’ll save that call for a future trip.

Christian J

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4s, 1997 C2S, 1979 Turbo, 1976 3.0
Country flag
Are there any Audi/ Porsche dealers on that leg? I know that my local dealer will let one charge provided they call ahead. Try reaching the service manager.

arijaycomet

First Name
Ari
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Porsche Taycan 4 Cross Turismo
Country flag
Are there any Audi/ Porsche dealers on that leg? I know that my local dealer will let one charge provided they call ahead. Try reaching the service manager.
Decided to call the Audi dealership in Charleston WV. He said they have seen an increase in EV buyers, but not many. They (Audi) do -not- have a DC fast charger. When I asked about VW/Porsche he said the local VW store is “very low volume” and that there isnt a Porsche franchise in the entire state of West Virginia (google appears to confirm this).

So at the moment I’ve been unable to find any DC fast chargers (PlugShare, etc) in that region. Bummer! Reached out to EA via their web site, got a call back, and the “support” agent said they would submit my request for a location to be added there, but of course its just that, a “request” — fingers crossed!
Sponsored