OP
kort

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
If you own a Chargepoint home unit you can choose to publish it on their app. It might get a little busy at your house though...
you can also list your home unit on plugshare if you are so inclined
Sponsored

Chris8536

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S (Sold) X7 M50i (sold) cayenne GTS coupe
Country flag
I had many many driver take control alerts and a couple of hard auto braking caused by the alerts despite having none of the driver assist functions turned on at the time.
My dealer has told me to kick rocks on this issue. I reminded them that the last safety issue was critical and they didn't believe me that time, and same reply. I think its time for another round of NHSTA feedback, have you filed yet?

OP
OP
kort

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
My dealer has told me to kick rocks on this issue. I reminded them that the last safety issue was critical and they didn't believe me that time, and same reply. I think its time for another round of NHSTA feedback, have you filed yet?
no, what is the process for filing with NHTSA?
and your dealer is a sh*t.
I will see how my dealer responds to the complaint

Silveral

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag
you can also list your home unit on plugshare if you are so inclined
Well, I was more thinking about letting fellows forum members charge in case of emergency.....

The only thing that beats having a Taycan must be having TWO Taycans on my driveway! lol....

Chris8536

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S (Sold) X7 M50i (sold) cayenne GTS coupe
Country flag
no, what is the process for filing with NHTSA?
and your dealer is a sh*t.
I will see how my dealer responds to the complaint
https://www.nhtsa.gov/report-a-safety-problem#index
Please file this issue, I am now today as well

Re: This issue doesn't log a fault code (as more issues with the Taycan seem to be doing..) so the dealers just says "no fault? didn't happen."

andrewket

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Taycan Turbo, Tesla Y*2; Prev S,X,3,996TT
Country flag
I recently returned from my longest trip to date in my taycan. We started in NE FLA planned on visiting Cape May NJ and an unexpected family issue required me taking two runs from Cape May to Bethpage LI before returning to FLA.
here's the good bad and ugly.
the good is how pleasant driving the car is driving long distances I especially appreciate how well the car will accelerate while driving at speed. If I'm cruising along at 70+ MPH and want to get ahead of someone the car jumps to 90+ in a flash.
the bad. the failure of the PCM to only display Porsche/NA chargers requires a bit more hand work to manually find EA chargers and then manually input them. on my first charge stop it routed me to a chargepoint unit about 15 mile past the EA Charger in pooler GA. it was a 62 amp unit and the time it would have taken to double back to a faster EA charger wasn't worth so I topped up in about 40 minutes.

then the "fun" began.
the next stop was at an EA unit in waltersboro SC, a fail to charge, fortunately I had about 100 miles of range because that part of the world is a bit of a charging desert, I had to drive 40+ miles out of the way to an EA charger in N. Charleston SC, and again it was a total fail to charge but here there are other options and I wound up at a slow, 50 kw and expensive EVGO unit, 75 minutes and $33. later I was back on track to my planned stop for the night Florence SC where I charged at the hotel's L2 unit.

the next day we hit the road making a stop at an EA charger in Rocky Mount NC, this place was an oddity, 2 of the 6 units was offline I plugged into unit 3 but it didn't appear on the app, regardless after hitting buttons on the phone and the unit the charge started, there were a few options within 30 miles so I was ok if it didn't charge.

after the odd session in rocky mount we made it to our next overnight stop, VA Beach, they had tesla destination chargers and the teslatap unit performed well after I instructed the valet on how to get it installed.

our next days driving was to Cape May NJ, which was in range of VA Beach I used the Lewes DE ferry and I had to disable the car's alarm because the boat rocking set off the alarm.
Stayed in Cape May, again the tesla destination charger worked well.

then I had to take 2 emergency trips to Bethpage NY, stopping both ways at an EA charger in Tinton Falls NJ, interesting stop at an outlet mall where they had the EA charger, a tesla supercharger and an EVGO charger, I charged here without incident and may have learned something, leaving the car on while starting the charge got the charging to start with no issues, that might be an answer that needs more testing.
I stayed at a marriott hotel with 2 L3 chargepoint units which apparently haven't worked since May and neither Chargepoint or the hotel are eager to get the unit working. In addition the hotel had an L2 unit for there EV van which after talking to the driver is never used anymore, I plugged in for a couple hours then went out, upon return they cut the power to the L2 unit to keep me from using it, FYI this is the Marriott in Melville NY, a very unfriendly to EV driver place.
in an adjacent office complex was a Chargepoint L2 with 2 units, one was offline and the other was installed but not not completely initiated so I called into chargepoint and they informed me that it was up to the unit's owner to finish the install which consisted of adding a 3 digits code. unbelievably I took a spin by the unit the next day and it was up and running. so that bailed my out of taking a 30+ mile round trip to top the car off. I had decided earlier that for the return trip I would get the car to VA and load the car onto the autotrain to lessen my charging anxieties, my wife wanted no part of that and I put her on an 8 AM flight out of JFK that got out before the storm fouled things up. At JFK NY state installed EVolve NY chargers, .35 per kw hour so I put about 50 miles into the car just to assure of making it to wilmington DE and have range to search for nearby alternatives if the EA failed to charge.
Wilmington DE is a bit of a crossroads and there were 8 units there, 2 were inoperative. I saw all sorts of other EVs there. I picked a 150 KW unit which gave me a charge but it was only at 31 kw and after 10 minutes it crapped out, I moved to the adjacent unit and got it going and charged at 126kw.
back to wilmington, there was a guy there in a mustang on a 350 unit that he couldn't get to charge so he moved to another unit and with EA's help got a charge going. then a woman in a volvo came. couldn't get the 350 unit the ford was on to charge and the mustang left and again with EA's help she got it going. she was a total newbie and was not a happy camper. as I was getting ready to go a VW ID 4 pulled in to the inoperative unit which I pointed out and also told him about the slow unit I was on, I said I was almost done he thanked me and waited for me to finish and he took over.

from there I drove the car to Lorton VA, stopping to charge a few miles from the train depot at a station with EA chargers that I've never seen, in fact I drove by it once thinking that they weren't EA chargers. here there were 6 chargers, 5 CCS one chademo, and only one unit was operational but I got a charge from it using my newly found "trick" of keeping the car on when initiating a charge.
from there it was a long train ride back to Florida.

an odd thing happened, after I pulled into the autotrain loading line another taycan arrived. so there were 2 of us on that train. the loader had said he had only seen one other use the train.

the other taycan on arrival in FLA
IMG_5143.jpeg
The autotrain isn’t a bad solution, especially if you get a sleeper room. We’ve done it twice (in a Tesla, not the Taycan). The first time I was really nervous that they would scratch it. Did they have to raise the suspension on your Taycan? Would they know how to do it?

Your thoughts on keeping the car on is interesting. This is my SOP as I frequently sit in the car for a bit planning the next hop. I still have charge failures, but maybe I’m having fewer than I would otherwise.

It’s such a pity Porsche and EA can’t get this crap resolved. The Taycan is otherwise a great road trip car. But until the reliability is improved, we will continue to take our Teslas on road trips.

OP
OP
kort

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
The autotrain isn’t a bad solution, especially if you get a sleeper room. We’ve done it twice (in a Tesla, not the Taycan). The first time I was really nervous that they would scratch it. Did they have to raise the suspension on your Taycan? Would they know how to do it?

Your thoughts on keeping the car on is interesting. This is my SOP as I frequently sit in the car for a bit planning the next hop. I still have charge failures, but maybe I’m having fewer than I would otherwise.

It’s such a pity Porsche and EA can’t get this crap resolved. The Taycan is otherwise a great road trip car. But until the reliability is improved, we will continue to take our Teslas on road trips.
they didn't need to raise the car overall it wasn't that bad. if I could rely on the chargers I would have driven. on my north bound trip I was delayed for hours looking for a charger in SC

PDACPA

First Name
PDA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan RWD, 1989 911 Carrera
Country flag
Eeesh sound like a bit of a lottery! We had a much more positive experience in Europe (Switzerland, Germany, Holland, UK, France). A couple of the Ionity fast chargers showed errors connecting but switching to another one solved it. Put car in park, plug charger, swipe Porsche card seemed the most successful approach.
Question: Do you leave the car "on" when charging like @kort was mentioning? I think he might be onto something regarding how to charge.

PDACPA

First Name
PDA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan RWD, 1989 911 Carrera
Country flag
@kort - you valet? Does the Taycan have a valet mode? I have watched too many valet fail stories and know a few former valet drivers to do so. I tip them and say let me park it. Those valet drivers do love to joy ride! :)

OP
OP
kort

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
@kort - you valet? Does the Taycan have a valet mode? I have watched too many valet fail stories and know a few former valet drivers to do so. I tip them and say let me park it. Those valet drivers do love to joy ride! :)
while I do valet the car I do not engage any of the valet lockouts, I haven't had an issue. one time a MB dealership used my car for a 200 mile parts run, I absolutely lost it on them

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
Well, I was more thinking about letting fellows forum members charge in case of emergency.....

The only thing that beats having a Taycan must be having TWO Taycans on my driveway! lol....
Ditto, my thoughts exactly. I won't list my residence on plugshare or similar. Forum members, must speak with them prior.

Genau

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I was the other Taycan owner on the train with @kort. It was wonderful randomly meeting him and discussing all things Taycan. This is my third trip on the Auto Train, and here are some things I've learned.
  1. Maximum vehicle width according to the Amtrak website is 84". Width of the Taycan is 84.4" with mirrors unfolded, and 77.4” with mirrors folded. Use the mirror folding button on driver's door (furthest to the rear and left). Per the Good to Know app, “The exterior mirrors will not fold out automatically after the ignition is switched on if they were folded in manually beforehand using button D.”
  2. Amtrak leaves the driver's door window partially open for modern cars that may automatically lock, because they leave the key inside the vehicle during transport. You must show them that you are carrying a spare key on your person before they will allow you to sign a waiver to close the window. The waiver states that you accept responsibility if they can't unload the train because your car is locked. On my first trip, I discovered the window open via the app while in transit and was dismayed to see the inside of the car coated in dark dust when unloaded.
  3. I've read that if the car alarm is triggered during transport, the 12 volt battery can be totally drained, resulting in a bricked Taycan upon arrival. To prevent this,
    1. Disable interior monitoring system and inclination sensor: Setting - Vehicle > Vehicle locking system > Interior surveillance.
    2. Disable the optional (subscription) Porsche Vehicle Tracking System by setting Transport Mode in the Porsche Connect app. In the Alarms and Modes sub-menu, select Edit to change the disable time to >24 hours.
Porsche Taycan recent road trip tempImagepOvazG

Porsche Taycan recent road trip tempImageXqu6f

OP
OP
kort

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
I was the other Taycan owner on the train with @kort. It was wonderful randomly meeting him and discussing all things Taycan. This is my third trip on the Auto Train, and here are some things I've learned.
  1. Maximum vehicle width according to the Amtrak website is 84". Width of the Taycan is 84.4" with mirrors unfolded, and 77.4” with mirrors folded. Use the mirror folding button on driver's door (furthest to the rear and left). Per the Good to Know app, “The exterior mirrors will not fold out automatically after the ignition is switched on if they were folded in manually beforehand using button D.”
  2. Amtrak leaves the driver's door window partially open for modern cars that may automatically lock, because they leave the key inside the vehicle during transport. You must show them that you are carrying a spare key on your person before they will allow you to sign a waiver to close the window. The waiver states that you accept responsibility if they can't unload the train because your car is locked. On my first trip, I discovered the window open via the app while in transit and was dismayed to see the inside of the car coated in dark dust when unloaded.
  3. I've read that if the car alarm is triggered during transport, the 12 volt battery can be totally drained, resulting in a bricked Taycan upon arrival. To prevent this,
    1. Disable interior monitoring system and inclination sensor: Setting - Vehicle > Vehicle locking system > Interior surveillance.
    2. Disable the optional (subscription) Porsche Vehicle Tracking System by setting Transport Mode in the Porsche Connect app. In the Alarms and Modes sub-menu, select Edit to change the disable time to >24 hours.
it was fun having a second taycan on the train. sadly I only was able to get a coach seat so we only were able to chat before and after the train ride.
the oohs and aahs from the crowd waiting for their cars upon seeing the taycans was pretty cool. all the advice given is spot on. I wish that I was aware of the window thing but the car was returned clean and without any sort of damages.

KTC

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 911 C4GTS; 2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
So in other words, the charging infrastructure is still a shitshow and can't be relied on?
Sponsored