JimBob

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Thanks for this really helpful post. It gives some idea of a best case scenario. The imperial translation is helpful to those of us who, like me, still can’t master temperature and disance conversions from metric. If you are up for it, the same battery of tests, as it were, in normal mode would also be illuminating.
I have thought about doing one range test at Normal and seeing how it compares to Range. Definitely going to be less Range as the rear motors come into play and probably the cooling vents are open which whacks the Cd.
Sponsored

OP
OP

JimBob

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Great report. Well documented! Looking forward to your 30C run. I also see the guessometer range drop (slightly) faster in the lower half of SoC%.
Yes, I am also looking forward to the 30C run. Most of the commentary on range concerns range at low temps while range at high temps is forgotten. Heat kills batteries and low temps just put them to sleep and when it warms up they recover non the worse for the experience.

OP
OP

JimBob

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Very interesting report. Good to see how the car behaves in real world driving. I am so amazed by the fact you can drive so long distances at such a similar speed.

It will also be very interesting to hear your experience with using the car in sunny days with 30 degrees C in Range mode. I have had problems with the car getting too hot inside, due to the HVAC being in ECO mode.
If I can get the conditions right, temperature of 20C/68F, no wind and a cloudy day, I think I will give a go at getting the maximum range at highway speeds. The limiting factor seems to be that as the day progresses the sun warms things up so you start to lose range as cabin cooling requirements rise. I had my cabin set to 19C. Also the battery is heating up. As the voltage drops, the current rises to maintain power and higher current means more battery heating. Good for charging, but maybe not so good for range.

OP
OP

JimBob

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag

SteveDC

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, 308QV
Country flag
I have thought about doing one range test at Normal and seeing how it compares to Range. Definitely going to be less Range as the rear motors come into play and probably the cooling vents are open which whacks the Cd.
Obviously a lot of work to put another one together. Still, a real world test by an actual owner and at different temperatures would be helpful for everyday driving. I’ve read smewhere that in Range mode you get about 5% more than in normal. So maybe in Normal mode in 70° weather, max range is about 250 miles at 70 mph. Again, thanks for allyour work and your report.

thecoloradokid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan CT4s + 2023 Rivian R1T
Country flag
James:

Great write up, and great documentation. Personally, I feel the Taycan is not meant to be a 300 mile range car, and to drive the car to try to achieve that range is a disservice to the car. I am glad it was you who did the test since I am not sure how many of us have the patience or unique conditions to be able to achieve that range. So, thank you for posting your findings!

That being said, and as you have shown, the 4s with 20 inch wheels in warmer temps can be a pretty efficient electric vehicle. The picture below shows what I did yesterday in driving from St. George, UT to Denver, CO - temps were well over 100 degrees, or 38 Celsius, for much of the drive. There are at least 4 mountain ranges between southern Utah and Denver with two of them topping out over 10,000 feet, or over 3,000 meters. Key reasons for my efficiency were that I did not use climate for any of the drive - I know some of you may find that strange, but I would prefer to suffer a little on the drive than to have to sit for an extra 10 minutes in a Walmart parking lot in the middle of central Utah or western Colorado, and I did not have a bike or anything on the roof of the car affecting aerodynamics.

I drove over 1,300 miles over 2 days and plug and charge worked at at all 5 Electrify America chargers, and never had to move cabinets either. I also stopped a couple of times at the same location - including one of my favorite stops in Salina, UT. The chargers sit at a Love's truck stop where you can get in and out easily and you don't have to deal with any "Walmart crazies."

I know there are still some that having issues with their Taycan, but on the whole, I feel the vehicle now delivers as promised, and the Electrify America network is steadily improving. I don't think you can ask for anything more than that - other than more charging locations!

Cheers, and get out and enjoy driving your car.

Porsche Taycan Taycan 4S Performance + Battery - My Real World Range Test Update #3 [Monster Range Test] IMG_1009

OP
OP

JimBob

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
James:

Great write up, and great documentation. Personally, I feel the Taycan is not meant to be a 300 mile range car, and to drive the car to try to achieve that range is a disservice to the car. I am glad it was you who did the test since I am not sure how many of us have the patience or unique conditions to be able to achieve that range. So, thank you for posting your findings!

That being said, and as you have shown, the 4s with 20 inch wheels in warmer temps can be a pretty efficient electric vehicle. The picture below shows what I did yesterday in driving from St. George, UT to Denver, CO - temps were well over 100 degrees, or 38 Celsius, for much of the drive. There are at least 4 mountain ranges between southern Utah and Denver with two of them topping out over 10,000 feet, or over 3,000 meters. Key reasons for my efficiency were that I did not use climate for any of the drive - I know some of you may find that strange, but I would prefer to suffer a little on the drive than to have to sit for an extra 10 minutes in a Walmart parking lot in the middle of central Utah or western Colorado, and I did not have a bike or anything on the roof of the car affecting aerodynamics.

I drove over 1,300 miles over 2 days and plug and charge worked at at all 5 Electrify America chargers, and never had to move cabinets either. I also stopped a couple of times at the same location - including one of my favorite stops in Salina, UT. The chargers sit at a Love's truck stop where you can get in and out easily and you don't have to deal with any "Walmart crazies."

I know there are still some that having issues with their Taycan, but on the whole, I feel the vehicle now delivers as promised, and the Electrify America network is steadily improving. I don't think you can ask for anything more than that - other than more charging locations!

Cheers, and get out and enjoy driving your car.

IMG_1009.jpg
The car is a real champ. Tests can be a bit of a bear, but playing with the results is quite interesting.

If there is one thing that people should really learn how to do is plan for and use the chargers. Once that hurdle is overcome, the car is a peach.

nav1

First Name
nav
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
jaguar
Country flag
Can you say what speeds you are getting this range at?
Mixture of roads between cruising 80 on motorway one third of time; one third at about 50-60 ; and one third at 20-30

a/c shaves away about 10percent ; range mode increases by 5-10% ; sports takes away about 5percent of range

if ac on and in sports I’m getting about 275 ish

nav1

First Name
nav
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
jaguar
Country flag
Mixture of roads between cruising 80 on motorway one third of time; one third at about 50-60 ; and one third at 20-30

a/c shaves away about 10percent ; range mode increases by 5-10% ; sports takes away about 5percent of range

if ac on and in sports I’m getting about 275 ish
And that’s with me doing a whole load of launch controls ?

manitou202

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Turbo S, Audi E-tron
Country flag
I drove from Colorado Springs to Santa Fe last Friday. Two EA charging stops with no issues. I averaged about 37.5 kWh/100mi in Sport Plus mode, 90F+ temps, and 80-85 mph.

On the way back we went through Taos, NM. I charged briefly over lunch in Taos at a level 2 charger and then one more time in Walsenburg, CO at a free 60kW level 3 charger. This time I kept the car in range mode. The first 200 miles were back roads with lower speeds (55-65mph), but once on the highway (80-85mph speeds) I managed 31.7 kWh/100mi. Same high temps outside. The ECO temp mode was a bit warm with the high temps outside, but bearable in shorts and a t-shirt.

Range mode does make a significant difference. My first time using this mode and I was quite impressed.

Highway section after charging in Walsenburg.
Porsche Taycan Taycan 4S Performance + Battery - My Real World Range Test Update #3 [Monster Range Test] IMG_3796

Total for the drive on the way back
Porsche Taycan Taycan 4S Performance + Battery - My Real World Range Test Update #3 [Monster Range Test] IMG_3797

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
The guy on Engineering Explained did a full report on the effect of tire size on range. 19 inch gives more range than 20 inch which gives more range than 21 inch.
Unfortunately, that guy has no clue, since he explained in another vid why T is so much more efficient than the Taycan, not realizing that EPA numbers are fake. :CWL:

submatrix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan
Country flag
If range mode only uses the front motor on the dual motor models, then I wonder what range mode does on the RWD model?

Bluebeauty

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Is the Taycan a 300 mile range car? No. But there is a window where you can hit 300 miles. And if you have 19 inch tires the window is bigger.

I ran the latest test early Sunday morning. Conditions were nearly perfect. Mean temperature was 22.4C/71.5F. Winds were calm to a cross wind of 7kph/4.3 mph at the end. Traffic was light other than at the end of the run when it was slightly higher. Cruise control was set to 115 kph/71.5 mph.

Car was in Range mode, with 20 inch Continental ProContact RX summer tires.

Results were:

Metric
Mode​
Mean Air Temp
Celsius​
Target Speed
kph​
Distance Traveled
in km​
Consumption
Wh/kilometer​
Range22.4115484180.6
Range11.7115419208.6
Range1.2115354A/383.3E246.9A/228.1E
Range-8.7115338258.6

Imperial
Mode​
Mean Air Temp
Fahrenheit​
Target Speed
mph​
Distance Traveled
in miles​
Consumption
Wh/mile​
Range71.571.5300.8290.6
Range58.171.5260.4335.6
Range34.771.5220A/237.5E397.3A/368E
Range16.371.5210.1416

Chart 1 is a summary of all the tests run to date in metric.

Chart 2 is a summary of all the tests run to date in Imperial.

Chart 3 has the details from the recent run in metric.

Final distance traveled was 484km or 300.8 miles. To the best of my knowledge this is the first semi documented range test for the Taycan of over 300 miles at highway speeds. The final distance traveled includes the actual distance travel plus the estimated range on the guessometer. As I am running the test on a 12 lane expressway, I am not trying to run the battery to zero. My intention is to not die on an expressway but surrounded by a bevy of babes. Can this distance be bettered? I believe so and will indicate below my thoughts on how it can be done.

As before the dash readings were recorded at 2 minute intervals and input into the R GGPLOT2 graphics package for display purposes.

Some observations
In Range mode, throughout the entire run at highway speeds the car operated only with the front motors. At the end on city streets at lower speeds and with traffic lights returning home, the rear motors were also operating. I doubt very much that the 2WD Taycan operating on just the rear motors can beat the 4S for highway range.​
Turning on Range mode turns off Regen. However on some of the rolling hills the Regen did operate but I doubt the effect was significant. I also tried to manage the Regen on some of the hills by manually turning it on or off. I don't think I added any value by doing this and ended up just leaving it to the car.​
There have been previous documented Range tests by Bjorn, Tom Moloughney and Kyle Conner. Bjorn's test was done at a higher speed and is not directly comparable.​
Both Tom and Kyle reported in their recent tests that range declined over the last half of their trip as compared to the first half. In my previous tests other than the wind affected one I had not seen this. However I did see this effect on this test. If you refer to Chart 3, you can see that the observed range bends away from the linear model. This is all due to temperature. The battery is heating up, refer to the first panel and the air temperature is heating up requiring more cabin cooling. I am not clear on Porsche's actual battery cooling strategy in Range mode. I think both Tom and Kyle ran their tests at temperatures a little above the optimum temperature for the car and got a reduced range. Porsche indicates that the optimum temperature for the car is 20C/68F. I was just slightly above this level and just squeaked out an indicated 300 miles. If I ran the test a couple of degrees cooler on a cloudy day I think I can pick up 4 or 5 additional miles.​
The next test will be at 30C/86F. For my area this will be about the maximum I will see. I expect to see more of the effects of temperature on range as showing in Chart 3 and expect Range to fall. I speculate I will loose around 20 miles in range due to temperature effects.

As a consolation prize, those of us who live in cooler climates who suffer in the winter, are probably going to pick up some extra range in the summer as compared to those living in hot climates.
Chart 1​
Chart 1.jpeg
Chart 2​
Chart 2.jpeg
Chart 3​
Chart 3.jpeg
,​
Super interesting report. Have 6,000km on my 4S (21“ rims) in ten weeks of ownership and every charge appears to result in a slightly higher available range as almost all of the trips are on highways. One charge to 95% indicated 454km range (288mi). Most charging done to 80% and have found it rarely necessary to set the charge limit any higher. Meaning real-world driving and familiarity has proven the range indication can be trusted, unlike in my previous Tesla X. Looking forward to your next test when the hot weather in our part of Ontario comes back.

OP
OP

JimBob

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Super interesting report. Have 6,000km on my 4S (21“ rims) in ten weeks of ownership and every charge appears to result in a slightly higher available range as almost all of the trips are on highways. One charge to 95% indicated 454km range (288mi). Most charging done to 80% and have found it rarely necessary to set the charge limit any higher. Meaning real-world driving and familiarity has proven the range indication can be trusted, unlike in my previous Tesla X. Looking forward to your next test when the hot weather in our part of Ontario comes back.
Just so you know. The test track is hit the 401 East bound at Bayview Ave with 100%SOC. Then east until the SOC hits around 55% then back. Can almost do Kingston and back on a fully charged battery under optimum conditions. Maybe all the way if I push my luck.

cars97

First Name
nonexist
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
a car
Country flag
The Taycan is probably one of the few EVs that doesn't have a guessometer on its dashboard.
Sponsored