0% range left

svp6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S
Country flag
I would imagine that the bottom reserve is unreachable in order to prevent bricking the battery. Much like other EVs, once you go 0% you are on borrowed time energy....
Sponsored

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
I drove the Tesla's multiple times below 5% but never below 2%. The range prediction on the onboard computer was extremely accurate after the first 20-30 mile adjustments
That guy was telling me something else. He could not even let the car roll back down the truck and into the charging spot. :)

Porsche Taycan 0% range left 20200801_132539

Porsche Taycan 0% range left 20200801_132939

Tonytones

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S; Volvo xc90; Audi R8
Country flag
Turtle mode:
1600496529676.png

Still some range left

1600496654111.png

No more range left

1600496730101.png

Car stopped in "Ready Hold"

1600496871052.png

Driving in turtle mode to my parking space with home charger...
Is there a speed limitation in Turtle Mode ?

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
Is there a speed limitation in Turtle Mode ?
The car did drive and operate as usual. To test this and the range in turtle mode I would need a mobile charger, which I do not have.

For me this was important to test, so I know the real range in regular driving. If the car says I have 10 km left, I have 10 km left. I also know, that if I run out, I do can restart and move to car to a safer place, or find a charger VERY nearby.

svp6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S
Country flag
The car did drive and operate as usual. To test this and the range in turtle mode I would need a mobile charger, which I do not have.

For me this was important to test, so I know the real range in regular driving. If the car says I have 10 km left, I have 10 km left. I also know, that if I run out, I do can restart and move to car to a safer place, or find a charger VERY nearby.
Thank you for sharing. Few questions:
1. I understand the car stopped, but you were able to restart and drive a little. How far were you able to go after the stop (1 km? more?).
2. When you started charging, did you happen to notice how quick was the re-charging process in the beginning? With the Tesla, it takes a while when it is at 0% (lots of pre-conditioning).
3. How accurate was the range estimator on the last 10%? I have tested the Taycan down to 15%, it looks like the observed range is always at least as large as the one predicted, if not better. Would be good to know if this continues the same at the bottom of the battery.

galaxyclass

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Tesla M3LR, RAM 1500 2019, MB SLK 200
Country flag
Using the Tesla MS, I did arrive at a charging station having 1% SoC left multiple times. That said, the battery was new and all cells were functioning as specified. With increased aged, the delta voltage (difference between cellular min and max cell voltage) can be 0.1V and higher, forcing the BMS to shut down the car much earlier than expected, especially if consumption is high (speed is high). There are a couple of reports in the Tesla forum. Folks got pretty surprised about getting stranded at 5% SoC left. Just because of one malfunctioning cell. Guess we have to monitor Porsche‘s turtle mode over time before judging long-term effectiveness.

Mouse House

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
New Balance 1500 v6
Country flag
Using the Tesla MS, I did arrive at a charging station having 1% SoC left multiple times. That said, the battery was new and all cells were functioning as specified. With increased aged, the delta voltage (difference between cellular min and max cell voltage) can be 0.1V and higher, forcing the BMS to shut down the car much earlier than expected, especially if consumption is high (speed is high). There are a couple of reports in the Tesla forum. Folks got pretty surprised about getting stranded at 5% SoC left. Just because of one malfunctioning cell. Guess we have to monitor Porsche‘s turtle mode over time before judging long-term effectiveness.

Yeah it will be interesting to see how this pans out. Feels like what you mention with the Model S may be a symptom of Tesla leaving a small (or even negative) margin between nominal and usable battery capacity.

https://electrek.co/2017/01/24/tesla-teardown-100-kwh-battery-pack/

Eta: also looks like some packs deteriorate really quickly. Not that this will be specific to Tesla of course.
Porsche Taycan 0% range left Screen-Shot-2020-06-07-at-7.05.09-PM

Last edited:

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
1. I understand the car stopped, but you were able to restart and drive a little. How far were you able to go after the stop (1 km? more?).
2. When you started charging, did you happen to notice how quick was the re-charging process in the beginning? With the Tesla, it takes a while when it is at 0% (lots of pre-conditioning).
3. How accurate was the range estimator on the last 10%? I have tested the Taycan down to 15%, it looks like the observed range is always at least as large as the one predicted, if not better. Would be good to know if this continues the same at the bottom of the battery.
1. I could not just use the start button. I pressed the start button to switch off the car. Then I get out of the car, locked it with the key, unlocked it and got in and started it again, then I could drive it.

I only had 200m left to my parking lot with charger installed, but uphill, no problem.

2. I think I remember the charging speed was a bit low at the beginning, but I did not watch it. Next time I take a picture...

Porsche Taycan 0% range left 20200910_221347 - Copy

Left 10. September: charge from less than 1% to 100%
Right 17. September: charge from 0% (turtle mode) to 100%

3. I drove it down to less than 1% and found it VERY accurate! I then charged the car to 100% and drove it down to --km turtle mode. Coming from MS90D, the range prediction in the Taycan is so good, it makes wanna cry.

In fact, after 2 cycles, I find it really strange that the low battery warning comes up so strong with 20% left! That could be easily 10% for me even 5%. But I understand that I live in place with loads of charging options everywhere...

This and RWS are my current highlight on the Taycan!

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
Interesting and it could explain what he told me: https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/0-range-left.1635/post-25995

plumandreal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
718 GT4
Country flag
At 0% it doesn't charge normally. My car sat for over an hour at 500ma charging (my mobile phone charges faster) then resumed normal charging shortly after that. Apparently this behaviour is normal (According to Porsche GB).

If you are on the go, they told me not to go below 5 miles, as when you do you add a big charging delay. I did find the last part of the range to be fairly accurate until it zeroed me at 5 miles.

I wont let it get to 5 miles again!

svp6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S
Country flag
At 0% it doesn't charge normally. My car sat for over an hour at 500ma charging (my mobile phone charges faster) then resumed normal charging shortly after that. Apparently this behaviour is normal (According to Porsche GB).

If you are on the go, they told me not to go below 5 miles, as when you do you add a big charging delay. I did find the last part of the range to be fairly accurate until it zeroed me at 5 miles.

I wont let it get to 5 miles again!
Thank you - important for all of us to know. I remember one of first Bjorn Nyland's Tesla videos when he barely made it to the SC, took a long time to start charging - seems the behavior is the same in Taycan.

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
At 0% it doesn't charge normally. My car sat for over an hour at 500ma charging (my mobile phone charges faster)...
DC or AC?

If you look at the charger pics from my post above, I was twice below 2km range left and 98.8kWh / 8:55h = 11.08kW average charging power. Top AC charging is 11.2kW displayed in the car. This all matches up nicely, but indicates slightly slower charging at the beginning and at the end.

glacius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS
Country flag
I had a nerve-wracking experience yesterday. Long story short, range showed 18mi in Normal mode and nearest functional fast charger was 17mi away. I had a client waiting for me at work, otherwise I'd have taken a safer approach.

I switched to Range mode and had 10mi left while 10mi away from charger. Things got very tense when it went to 3mi while 5mi away and then all of a sudden the range showed "--". I was about 4mi away and bricking it.

I continued on, praying the chargers would be free. They were, and my functionality was unaffected. So it seems like, just as with an ICE vehicle, there is an in-built buffer. I don't plan on "testing" this again!

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
My car went to the dark side recently and returned, now business as usual. Not sure how much it was protesting because the dealer drove it down to 0%.

Porsche Taycan 0% range left IMG_6348
Sponsored