150kW on-board DC-DC converter????? worth it in the UK??

Plumley32

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan Sport Turismo (arrived.)
Country flag
Hi people
So I was wondering if its worth ticking the:
150kW on-board DC-DC converter box?
It says:

Optional On-Board DC Charger to increase maximum charging capacity when charging at public 400V rapid chargers up to 150kW (vs 50kW as standard).
Does not affect charging rate on rapid chargers capable of supplying 800V.
£ 294.00

Can current owners jump in and say if they had made use of this or if the UK chargers are either 800V or lower that cant be increased to 150kW?

Confusing with so many different charging stations now???? Someone said something about Tesla supercharger stations opening up to other cars??
And bearing in mind I will be charging at home 99% of the time...

On a budget here so not going to tick it if I wont use it..
Sponsored

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Hi people
So I was wondering if its worth ticking the:
150kW on-board DC-DC converter box?
It says:

Optional On-Board DC Charger to increase maximum charging capacity when charging at public 400V rapid chargers up to 150kW (vs 50kW as standard).
Does not affect charging rate on rapid chargers capable of supplying 800V.
£ 294.00

Can current owners jump in and say if they had made use of this or if the UK chargers are either 800V or lower that cant be increased to 150kW?

Confusing with so many different charging stations now???? Someone said something about Tesla supercharger stations opening up to other cars??
And bearing in mind I will be charging at home 99% of the time...

On a budget here so not going to tick it if I wont use it..
Didn't you read the other (exhausting) threads on this topic??

In brief, tick the box for the small outlay. Tesla Supercharger network is 400v based (120kW - 150kW) and is opening up to non Tesla customers.

More flexibility and more charging options therefore.

Up to 3 times faster on the same charger if you tick the box rather than be limited to 50kW.

Not enough coverage of 800v ultra fast chargers in UK at present otherwise I would give a more measured piece of advice.

Speuk

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT 4S in Dolomite Silver
Country flag
Didn't you read the other (exhausting) threads on this topic??

In brief, tick the box for the small outlay. Tesla Supercharger network is 400v based (120kW - 150kW) and is opening up to non Tesla customers.

More flexibility and more charging options therefore.

Up to 3 times faster on the same charger if you tick the box rather than be limited to 50kW.

Not enough coverage of 800v ultra fast chargers in UK at present otherwise I would give a more measured piece of advice.
I've ticked the box. No brainer now Tesla has started opening up the first 15 charger locations. Not sure if you will get the full Tesla output though either 150kw or 250 kW depending on location or will it be half that given voltage has to be boosted to 800v?

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I've ticked the box. No brainer now Tesla has started opening up the first 15 charger locations. Not sure if you will get the full Tesla output though either 150kw or 250 kW depending on location or will it be half that given voltage has to be boosted to 800v?
If 400v and you don't have the DC upgrade / booster then you are limited to 50kW (not half of the available power) as the standard 400v to 800v booster is 50kW.

For native 800v EVSEs eg Ionity, Porsche then you'll charge up to 270kW (depending on other factors) which does not require the booster option.

If 800v then no need to bother.

Speuk

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT 4S in Dolomite Silver
Country flag
If 400v and you don't have the DC upgrade / booster then you are limited to 50kW (not half of the available power) as the standard 400v to 800v booster is 50kW.

For native 800v EVSEs eg Ionity, Porsche then you'll charge up to 270kW (depending on other factors) which does not require the booster option.

If 800v then no need to bother.
Agreed but what I'm not sure about is having the 150kw DC upgrade booster and the charge rate you actually get say using a Tesla 150kw charger. I read elsewhere it would only be half the available charge rate because of the voltage difference so 75kw... if that makes sense?

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Agreed but what I'm not sure about is having the 150kw DC upgrade booster and the charge rate you actually get say using a Tesla 150kw charger. I read elsewhere it would only be half the available charge rate because of the voltage difference so 75kw... if that makes sense?
No, that's nonsense.

If the Tesla EVSE is 400v and can provide 120kW then with the DC booster you will get up to 120kW as it can boost the voltage to 800v (Taycan native voltage).

If not then in the absence of the voltage booster you will be limited to 50kW as this is the standard 400v setup on the Taycan.

Its that simple.

Note that any maximum charge rate can be subjective as it depends on many factors when charging starts - battery temp, ambient temp, current battery charge level, supply restrictions / throttling and so on.

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag
Tried a 150 kw Tesla charger this weekend and I had 100 kw charge speed. With 31 degrees battery temperature and 60 SoC. Should be even higher with a lower SoC.

I had to put my car in an (not allowed) alternative position. For Taycan owners only the v3 chargers with parallel position will work well because of the short cable. With the parallel position the nose of the car can be parked between the chargers.

Ps I checked with the Teslas charging if they would be bothered if I did this. And still 8 positions free for charging.

Porsche Taycan 150kW on-board DC-DC converter????? worth it in the UK?? C732EDBB-902C-472E-873B-0E687292F107

Porsche Taycan 150kW on-board DC-DC converter????? worth it in the UK?? D83168F8-804C-4E6F-A2B6-50A4B735943C

Porsche Taycan 150kW on-board DC-DC converter????? worth it in the UK?? B5D14851-E0DC-4FA5-A90D-79E812D1B704

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Tried a 150 kw Tesla charger this weekend and I had 100 kw charge speed. With 31 degrees battery temperature and 60 SoC. Should be even higher with a lower SoC.

I had to put my car in an (not allowed) alternative position. For Taycan owners only the v3 chargers with parallel position will work well because of the short cable. With the parallel position the nose of the car can be parked between the chargers.

Ps I checked with the Teslas charging if they would be bothered if I did this. And still 8 positions free for charging.

C732EDBB-902C-472E-873B-0E687292F107.jpeg

D83168F8-804C-4E6F-A2B6-50A4B735943C.jpeg

B5D14851-E0DC-4FA5-A90D-79E812D1B704.jpeg
Do you have the 400v DC booster?

Speuk

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT 4S in Dolomite Silver
Country flag
Thanks for the real world experience, really helpful. There will inevitably be losses in the switching components used in dc-dc convertors.

Great looking car! Is that Dolomite Silver?

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag
Thanks for the real world experience, really helpful. There will inevitably be losses in the switching components used in dc-dc convertors.

Great looking car! Is that Dolomite Silver?
Yes it is.

Speuk

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT 4S in Dolomite Silver
Country flag
Yes it is.
I am just about to press the button on a CT 4S in Dolomite have been debating between ST and CT. I'm in no hurry but would like to get an early MY2024 ...in case it has any battery/range improvement

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag

Speuk

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles