Nickj

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crayon 4s
Country flag
So. Picked up my car this evening, but been having to get the merc c63 ready since I got home as being picked up tomorrow by it’s new owner( washing it in the dark and raining, sure it will look spot on tomorrow!).

Sure these are basic questions so thank in advance.

Just plugged it into my pod point for charge over night. At 55% and 110 range.

Questions are,

Will it charge to 100% if I leave it plugged in overnight and I take it it stops charging when full?
How do I check to see if limit to charge level set?
How do I set a limit to say the suggested 85% or 90%.
My Porsche App- shows in small letters charge rate but doesn’t say it’s charging. I was expecting something more like maybe the green battery on the app. Am I missing something on the app, as surely it should say it’s charging.

Porsche Taycan 1st Day new owner basic questions! 6-F536728-CB5-F-4300-BC12-CE6044-DF2-B83
Sponsored

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
So. Picked up my car this evening, but been having to get the merc c63 ready since I got home as being picked up tomorrow by it’s new owner( washing it in the dark and raining, sure it will look spot on tomorrow!).

Sure these are basic questions so thank in advance.

Just plugged it into my pod point for charge over night. At 55% and 110 range.

Questions are,

Will it charge to 100% if I leave it plugged in overnight and I take it it stops charging when full?
How do I check to see if limit to charge level set?
How do I set a limit to say the suggested 85% or 90%.
My Porsche App- shows in small letters charge rate but doesn’t say it’s charging. I was expecting something more like maybe the green battery on the app. Am I missing something on the app, as surely it should say it’s charging.

6-F536728-CB5-F-4300-BC12-CE6044-DF2-B83.jpg
Here is a link to a good video about the charging set up. Also make sure you have the Porsche Good to Know app!

This video has been posted here in the Forum before but I could not find it just now.

OP
OP
Nickj

Nickj

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crayon 4s
Country flag
Great thank you, that certainly helps on timers and profiles.

Think I’ve worked out the app a bit more. If I click on the battery % it takes me to e-mobility that shows me charging. It says it’s at 74% now and will be fully charged in 3 hours. Can’t see I have a profile set so presuming this is going to 100%? I take it between the car and the pod point it stops charging when at 100% and the electric bill stops rising?

robborover

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicles
Taycan 4s & Cayenne S
Country flag

Think I’ve worked out the app a bit more. If I click on the battery % it takes me to e-mobility that shows me charging. It says it’s at 74% now and will be fully charged in 3 hours. Can’t see I have a profile set so presuming this is going to 100%? I take it between the car and the pod point it stops charging when at 100% and the electric bill stops rising?
Yes - they can't overcharge, will be fine. The Taycan will control that handshake as the pod point is relatively dumb in comparison.

OP
OP
Nickj

Nickj

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crayon 4s
Country flag
Yes - they can't overcharge, will be fine. The Taycan will control that handshake as the pod point is relatively dumb in comparison.
Cool, cars saying it will charge to 1am. Smart meter showing 7.3kw being drawn at cost of £1.17 an hour but various lights/ appliances on in the house also. On a standard octopus tariff at 16p a kw but smart meter installed last week so hopefully will move to go Ev tariff soon and can set a charger for the cheap electric between 12-0400am soon.

As brand new to ev cars it’s a bit unnerving knowing my work travel tomorrow relies on it being charged and keep checking it’s ok!

robborover

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicles
Taycan 4s & Cayenne S
Country flag
Cool, cars saying it will charge to 1am. Smart meter showing 7.3kw being drawn at cost of £1.17 an hour but various lights/ appliances on in the house also. On a standard octopus tariff at 16p a kw but smart meter installed last week so hopefully will move to go Ev tariff soon and can set a charger for the cheap electric between 12-0400am soon.

As brand new to ev cars it’s a bit unnerving knowing my work travel tomorrow relies on it being charged and keep checking it’s ok!
It's weird sh1t isn't it! :) Add in some of the issues people have experienced it adds to the fun/worry. Have bothered with chargers at work or not too far away?

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag

Just note also that Porsche recommends to only charge the battery to 85% on a regular basis, unless you are planning for a long journey.

If you still want to charge to 100% then it is best for the battery to be used once 100% is reached. It is not good for batteries to stand at 100% charge for long.

OP
OP
Nickj

Nickj

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crayon 4s
Country flag
Just note also that Porsche recommends to only charge the battery to 85% on a regular basis, unless you are planning for a long journey.

If you still want to charge to 100% then it is best for the battery to be used once 100% is reached. It is not good for batteries to stand at 100% charge for long.
Yes, aware of the 85% charge thing. Today I set of on full 100% and 110 miles later had 60 miles and 30% charge left. I’m not sure I’d be happy setting off on 85%!

In the cart lodge back charging again but says will take until 3am to get back to 100%.

I thought electric was suppose to be cheap? Not sure if I’m working it out wrong but it’s going to take 8 hours to get back to 100% at approx £1.20 and hour charging at home on normal rate ( 16p a kWh) £1.20 x 8 = just under £10 to do just over 100 miles. Appreciate this isn’t shocking but I’m only getting my work miles covered at 4p a mile so £6 out of pocket on my work journey? I was less out of pocket driving a 4ltr twin turbo v8 merc c63. Hows that happening?

Last edited:

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2024 BMW X3, 2014 BMW 3 GT
Country flag
Yes, aware of the 85% charge thing. Today I set of on full 100% and 110 miles later had 60 miles and 30% charge left. I’m not sure I’d be happy setting off on 85%!

In the cart lodge back charging again but says will take until 3am to get back to 100%.

I thought electric was suppose to be cheap? Not sure if I’m working it out wrong but it’s going to take 8 hours to get back to 100% at approx £1.20 and hour charging at home on normal rate ( 16p a kWh) £1.20 x 8 = just under £10 to do just over 100 miles. Appreciate this isn’t shocking but I’m only getting my work miles covered at 4p a mile so £6 out of pocket in my work journey? I was les out of pocket driving a 4ltr twin turbo v8 merc c63. Hows that happening?
I don't know about the energy price structure in the UK, but here in New Jersey I typically pay half as much per mile for charging my Taycan at home (regular electricity prices, no cheaper night rates) than a similar-size ICE car would cost me on gas. And gas is inexpensive in the US...

RG2020

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Golf R Estate, Golf VR6, Corrado VR6
Country flag

I thought electric was suppose to be cheap? Not sure if I’m working it out wrong but it’s going to take 8 hours to get back to 100% at approx £1.20 and hour charging at home on normal rate ( 16p a kWh) £1.20 x 8 = just under £10 to do just over 100 miles. Appreciate this isn’t shocking but I’m only getting my work miles covered at 4p a mile so £6 out of pocket on my work journey? I was less out of pocket driving a 4ltr twin turbo v8 merc c63. Hows that happening?
I worked it out before - in simple terms battery 93.4Kw, at 15p/KWH = £14. Say range is around 230 miles = 6p/mile

But I think so far I’ve averaged around 2.2 miles/KWH which equals 7p/mile. So yes out of pocket on a work journey.

Is the car a company car? I believe there might be a way the company can pay for all the electricity used to charge the car, not a fixed rate per mile, and have no BIK implications. I’ve only briefly read and I think the company has to pay the bill directly, not you pay it and then claim as expense, which seems odd. But I could be wrong as it was in standard HMRC language. I plan to read it all again soon.

My Golf R does around 30mpg usually, which costs 3 times more than the Taycan per mile but still covered by the fuel mileage rate. So I think the 4p/mile is a bit stingy, unless the Taycan is the Hummer of electric cars? Not checked against other models but seems unlikely.

OP
OP
Nickj

Nickj

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crayon 4s
Country flag
I worked it out before - in simple terms battery 93.4Kw, at 15p/KWH = £14. Say range is around 230 miles = 6p/mile

But I think so far I’ve averaged around 2.2 miles/KWH which equals 7p/mile. So yes out of pocket on a work journey.

Is the car a company car? I believe there might be a way the company can pay for all the electricity used to charge the car, not a fixed rate per mile, and have no BIK implications. I’ve only briefly read and I think the company has to pay the bill directly, not you pay it and then claim as expense, which seems odd. But I could be wrong as it was in standard HMRC language. I plan to read it all again soon.

My Golf R does around 30mpg usually, which costs 3 times more than the Taycan per mile but still covered by the fuel mileage rate. So I think the 4p/mile is a bit stingy, unless the Taycan is the Hummer of electric cars? Not checked against other models but seems unlikely.
Yes, company car but my only option is to claim 4p a mile as we only pay Gov approved rates.

Pretty miffed by this to be honest. Last 2 years been running a c63 AMG and the 21p ish per mile covered my fuel comfortably.

Gone electric and not being covered? Doesn’t feel right. I’m currently on 16p a kWh that will go down to 14kwh and 4 hours of 5p a kWh hours but even at the reduced rates is going to be difficult to break even. I thought I was going to be quids in!

I’ve got the smaller battery but guess all relative cost per kw.

Persuader

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4s, Range Rover Sport, Jaguar F-Type, Renault Kangoo
Country flag
I pay 5p per KWh with Octopus Go for charging 00.30 to 04.30 and 13.31p per KWh at other times. The 4 hour charge gives me approximately 80 miles which is enough for my daily driving and so 99% of the time I'm only paying 5p per KW which works at at 2 something pence per mile.
https://share.octopus.energy/alive-queen-328

REIL

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S+ / MY20
Country flag
I don't know about the energy price structure in the UK, but here in New Jersey I typically pay half as much per mile for charging my Taycan at home (regular electricity prices, no cheaper night rates) than a similar-size ICE car would cost me on gas. And gas is inexpensive in the US...
Here is an interesting calculator for the USA. Just select your state.
I imagine the UK may have a similar website.
https://www.energy.gov/maps/egallon
(Disclaimer: I have no affiliation with this website)

OP
OP
Nickj

Nickj

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crayon 4s
Country flag
I pay 5p per KWh with Octopus Go for charging 00.30 to 04.30 and 13.31p per KWh at other times. The 4 hour charge gives me approximately 80 miles which is enough for my daily driving and so 99% of the time I'm only paying 5p per KW which works at at 2 something pence per mile.
https://share.octopus.energy/alive-queen-328
Hi, yes, I used your link so will be on same tariff although think I’m 5p and 14p. Getting the smart meter fitted was interesting but finally sorted last week, so now in a 2 week period before my ev tariff starts. I’ve worked out that charging all night on combined rate 5 hours 14p/ 4 hours 5p) I will just about break even being paid 4p a mile.
Sponsored