First Name
Edward
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan ST 4S and 992 C2S Coupe
Country flag
Hello all,

I have just this week ordered my first Taycan (RWD 350/93, Crayon, pan roof, Bose, ambient lighting, sports side skirts, Sport Aero 20's, embossed headrests, black badging, sports sound, sports chrono, etc...) Delivery into UK allegedly April 2023 (though I will believe it when I see it!)

I'm not new to Porsche having owned 997's and 991's, with a 992 currently on order, but I am new to electric. So here's the basic question and forgive me if this has been covered elsewhere on the forum. The order confirmation states that the car ships with (amongst other cables), a 'mobile charger with 4.5m vehicle side cable'. Would this be 'Mobile Charger Plus' or 'Mobile Charger Connect'? I can't seem to find clarity on the Porsche website. Just trying to then work out how to set up at home and also separately at my place of work for coverage in terms of charging. Any guidance is most welcomed! Thanks, Ed
Porsche Taycan Newbie basic questions! IMG_0300.PNG
Sponsored

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Hello all,

I have just this week ordered my first Taycan (RWD 350/93, Crayon, pan roof, Bose, ambient lighting, sports side skirts, Sport Aero 20's, embossed headrests, black badging, sports sound, sports chrono, etc...) Delivery into UK allegedly April 2023 (though I will believe it when I see it!)

I'm not new to Porsche having owned 997's and 991's, with a 992 currently on order, but I am new to electric. So here's the basic question and forgive me if this has been covered elsewhere on the forum. The order confirmation states that the car ships with (amongst other cables), a 'mobile charger with 4.5m vehicle side cable'. Would this be 'Mobile Charger Plus' or 'Mobile Charger Connect'? I can't seem to find clarity on the Porsche website. Just trying to then work out how to set up at home and also separately at my place of work for coverage in terms of charging. Any guidance is most welcomed! Thanks, Ed
IMG_0300.PNG
Mobile Charger Plus, 4.5m 32A EVSE (charger) to car cable (may be too short for your needs), 13A to EVSE supply cable and a 32A industrial supply cable (you must install a 32A fused supply from your main fuse board to your EVSE location in order to get 7.4kW of power.

Mobile Charger Connect is an expensive option but can handle up to 22kW of power if you plan to have a 3 phase electrical supply and have optioned the 22kW AC on board charger. If you don't option the 22kW AC onboard option but have 3 phase then you can still take advantage and charge to the max 11kW (standard AC onboard charger).

Note that 'charger' is misleading. The actual charger for AC and DC charging is physically in the car. The wall box, Mobile Charger Plus, Mobile Charger Connect, other 3rd party devices are Electrical Vehicle Supply Equipment (for safe supply of electricity) otherwise known as an EVSE.

Standard spec details this for you on the configurator

Porsche Taycan Newbie basic questions! 1655364770525

Plenty of time to adjust your order between now and lock date if needed.

Speuk

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT 4S in Dolomite Silver
Country flag
Hello all,

IMG_0300.PNG
You just need to work out if 4.5m will be long enough to reach from wherever you have the power outlet (need 32A industrial socket protected by RCBO Type A and optionally surge protection to get 7.4kw charging) I'm having two sockets installed in my garage one front and at back.

You might also want to add the 400v 150 kw DC charger to allow faster charging at 400v chargers like Tesla

Porsche-Guru

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M4, BMW 535, Taycan 4S
Country flag
Correct as Speuk above.

The car comes with the 4.5 meter cable - see if that will be long enough.

If you are getting new wiring done, then ensure that your industrial socket is close enough to the car, so that 4.5 m cable will suffice.

The 400V 150kW is a good (well reasonably priced of what it offers) option to add.

This will allow you to use existing (when they open up) Tesla chargers at full capacity. All new public chargers in UK will be 800V, but there may be existing ones that are still at 400V.

Windpower

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y, BMW X3, Taycan RWD Coffee
Country flag
The order confirmation states that the car ships with (amongst other cables), a 'mobile charger with 4.5m vehicle side cable'. Would this be 'Mobile Charger Plus' or 'Mobile Charger Connect'?
As noted by others, this is the Mobile Charger Plus.
I keep mine in the frunk (front trunk) to use when I travel and use a second EVSE (what many call a charger) to charge my car.
While there’s no reason why the Porsche Mobile Charger Plus can’t be used as the primary charger, I have an extra long cable on the second EVSE (a Juicebox 40) so I can charge in my garage and also on the driveway.
So you might want to start thinking about where you’ll be charging and decide whether the Porsche Mobile Charger is right for you. At the same time, you’ll need to get some quotes from electricians to install the proper ‘level 2’ wiring for charging.

Last edited:

OP
OP
Edwos

Edwos

First Name
Edward
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thank you all for your valid input, much appreciated. I don't tend to travel as far (both work and socially) as I used to so I think the answer is to have a tethered charger permanently set up at home plus also use of the supplied Mobile Charger Plus that I can use at the office or on the move in the frunk (it's my own business so I can arrange for the electricians to come in and extend the existing 3 phase supply to a good point that is within a 4.5m reach to the car). I would like to upgrade from the 50 to the 150kw and I know its not a huge cost but I think for the occasional time on the motorway that I need to juice up then I'm sure the 50 will cover me fine.
As I understand it, the Taycan accepts rapid charging from a public 800v with the base set up that I will have with the car (as long as I can find a free 800v on the network!)

OP
OP
Edwos

Edwos

First Name
Edward
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
So the next question therefore is, and I know it's covered elsewhere on the forum, but for my main home setup, is Anderson 'worth' the £1500..?

Porsche-Guru

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
So the next question therefore is, and I know it's covered elsewhere on the forum, but for my main home setup, is Anderson 'worth' the £1500..?
If you care for aesthetics, then the Anderson is well worth the money (it is probably the best looking/ fitting EVSE) but the same feature sets and tech can be had for less...

Probably somewhere between £900-1200 (for EVSE and installation) There are subscription based EVSE available as well (I think it is £30 or something per month for EVSE & install; charging costs extra as expected)

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
On the basis you have access to a 3 phase supply then the PMCC (Mobile Charger Connect) would be a worthy upgrade IMHO as the PMC+ won't support more than 9.6kW / 11kW which as you'll realise by now also requires 3 phase - note that you'll only get a max 11kW if you don't upgrade the car to 22kW so depending on what you end up doing you may not get a massive advantage in terms of charging times.

Andersen A2 is expensive but also a thing of 'beauty' - I would have sourced that had I not got the PMCC free of charge (I don't have 3 phase either).

Personally, I don't carry my PMCC EVSE around as some people do and use it for portable purposes (takes up way too much room in the boot / frunk) nor have I had a situation where I wish I had. There is plenty of public AC charging around the UK if you get stuck and can't find a DC one.

Taycan battery architecture is 800v so should you find any EVSE rated at 175kW or above then you'll be able to take full advantage noting that the headline charging numbers are rarely achievable and dependent on your battery state of charge, ambient temperature, and physical infrastructure.

Most of us have ticked the 150kW DC to DC booster but likely will never use it but in terms of cost its a no-brainer.

Everyone has differing needs but a single EVSE such as the PMCC nicely tucked up in the Porsche Dock gives a perfect tethered solution which as a bonus can easily be uncoupled and placed in the frunk for that weekend in the wilderness use as a 'just in case measure'.

Porsche-Guru

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
... the PMCC nicely tucked up in the Porsche Dock gives a perfect tethered solution ... .
- Where can I find more details on the Porsche Dock?
- Will the dock also work with the Mobile Charger Plus or only the PMCC?
- Will the dock allow the PMC+ to be mounted outdoors (i.e becomes a weatherproof EVSE)?

Any website links, forum posts or youtube links would be much appreciated.

Windpower

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y, BMW X3, Taycan RWD Coffee
Country flag
- Will the dock allow the PMC+ to be mounted outdoors (i.e becomes a weatherproof EVSE)?

Porsche Taycan Newbie basic questions! 3ba619df-5682-4ec2-82d5-c3afbd0d7b5e-jpe

50 amp circuit to the PMCC in the charging dock delivering 40 amps and 9.6kw (usually see about 8.7-8.9kw into the battery). Picture is to really only to show off Porschestraße and Parking signs my kids got me for Christmas from Suncoast ;)
This was from a previous post.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag

The PMC+ is thinner (therefore lighter) than the PMCC which means it doesn't sit well within the dock and I wouldn't recommend it. PMCC sits flush and the PMC+ would look quite recessed and therefore 'odd'.

Both PMC+ and PMCC are IP55 rated and therefore don't require special housing. That said I would not install either without some protection. My neighbour has a PMCC installed outside and fully exposed to the weather - so far so good.

I've attached the PMCC install guide and PMC+ guide.

View attachment PMCC Install.pdf

View attachment Porsche Mobile Charger (English).pdf

Last edited:

Midlifecrisis

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Taycan 4S (sold). Macan SD (sold)
Country flag
If you are putting it on the front of your house then the Andersen will look much better with the cable hidden. If it will be in the garage or elsewhere out of sight then a cheaper option is fine. I have an Andersen purely because of where I have sited it and the aesthetics being better
Sponsored