2020 Taycan Turbo S Dead after 11 months

2Goldens

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S Volcano Grey
Country flag
Wow, so it's Porsche corporate that tried to pull this excuse? Did you get their response in writing by any chance?
Yes, at this point, I’ve accepted the dealer’s assurance that Porsche is covering the replacement. I’ve not asked for anything in writing. If anyone gets cute, I’ll just bring my 40+ years of practicing law into the fray.
Sponsored

tardis67

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4s 79.2 kWh Sport Chrono Package
Country flag
I have worked for a German Car manufacture dealer before and we have had to Replace Batteries as well on fairly new cars. The parts price if I recall was around $5,000 just for the battey pack. Porsche is not the only Company that has warranty repaires done to their cars. That's why there is a Warranty. Nothing is perfect. I would reach out to cust assistance and suggest that they pay for your lease payments while the car is in for service, that would be fair to say the least and enjoy the car when you get it back.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
Yes, at this point, I’ve accepted the dealer’s assurance that Porsche is covering the replacement. I’ve not asked for anything in writing. If anyone gets cute, I’ll just bring my 40+ years of practicing law into the fray.
Lawyering can be effective but slow. Sometimes a little media hype works way faster. Imagine if someone with a blue tick tweeted Elon with Porsche official warranty refusal stating their EVs lose warranty if not driven at least 6000 miles a year, I bet he could come up with a witty reply which would get attention from the media and then Porsche PR. Then Porsche PR issues a statement this was a mistake, and your new battery magically arrives just days later to make sure this doesn't spin into how long it takes to get a replacement. ;)

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I have worked for a German Car manufacture dealer before and we have had to Replace Batteries as well on fairly new cars. The parts price if I recall was around $5,000 just for the battey pack. Porsche is not the only Company that has warranty repaires done to their cars. That's why there is a Warranty. Nothing is perfect. I would reach out to cust assistance and suggest that they pay for your lease payments while the car is in for service, that would be fair to say the least and enjoy the car when you get it back.
Absolutely, nothing is perfect and every manufacturer will have warranty repairs - that is normal and most people don't have an issue with that. On the other hand, if the manufacturer refuses the warranty because your car averaged less than 6000 miles a year, well, that is not normal, at least IMO.

PS> $5,000 for a new BEV drive battery? Are you sure you didn't lose a 0? Or was it tiny batteries in hybrid cars, or the repair was replacing only individual modules rather than a whole battery?

IcanTaycan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi Q5, BMW 328xi
Country flag
Lawyering can be effective but slow. Sometimes a little media hype works way faster. Imagine if someone with a blue tick tweeted Elon with Porsche official warranty refusal stating their EVs lose warranty if not driven at least 6000 miles a year, I bet he could come up with a witty reply which would get attention from the media and then Porsche PR. Then Porsche PR issues a statement this was a mistake, and your new battery magically arrives just days later to make sure this doesn't spin into how long it takes to get a replacement. ;)
I would start by first emailing porsche NA and asking for clarification on the warranty statement. If they do indeed confirm it, do we need to take it to next steps :)

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I would start by first emailing porsche NA and asking for clarification on the warranty statement. If they do indeed confirm it, do we need to take it to next steps :)
Absolutely. When I said "official warranty refusal" I mean something from Porsche corporate stating they will not warranty a car because it was driven less than 6000 miles a year, not just some statement from a dealer. I've owned many cars, and I have seen dealers sometimes claim things are not covered under warranty, but when pushed, it turned out it was covered.

2Goldens

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Absolutely, nothing is perfect and every manufacturer will have warranty repairs - that is normal and most people don't have an issue with that. On the other hand, if the manufacturer refuses the warranty because your car averaged less than 6000 miles a year, well, that is not normal, at least IMO.

PS> $5,000 for a new BEV drive battery? Are you sure you didn't lose a 0? Or was it tiny batteries in hybrid cars, or the repair was replacing only individual modules rather than a whole battery?
$500 for the 12 volt battery, not the large battery pack under the carriage.

2Goldens

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thanks for all of the comments. I want to make it clear that Porsche IS HONORING the battery warranty and not claiming as a defense to honoring the warranty that I’m not driving the Taycan enough. Honoring the warranty is not an issue. What is out there is that there isn’t a replacement battery pack in the US for the needed service and is not expected until week of April 22. This is a parts availability issue. Porsche doesn’t manufacture the battery pack.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
$500 for the 12 volt battery, not the large battery pack under the carriage.
Yea, but I was replying to a $5,000 (10x$500) price reference - that would be one expensive 12V battery.

2Goldens

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
PanameraFrank, greeeaaaat suggestion to engage PCNA!! Thank you. I followed your advice, and the ETA on the battery pack was moved up from week of April 22 to week of March 21 (next week). Hoping it's on a ship that left Emden last weekend, and doesn't catch fire or sink ;-)
Sponsored