2021 Audi e-tron GT, the Taycan's sibling...

Pozuelo

First Name
Roberto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2018 E63S Estate, 2023 A45S
Country flag

I am so happy with my Taycan, that I might look at the Audi, but not buy it. We will most likely buy the EQS...
I was checking these out yesterday and was disappointed to find out these first Mercedes EVs will have a 400V architecture and a very decent 600-700km. range. So either the batteries capacity and weight is whopping or the power and performance are lacking. Maybe worse still, it could be a combination of both. The electrical motors come from ZF and are not Mercedes. One thing is for sure, they will take longer to charge on the road. And another as well: the telematics are going be far and away years ahead of Porsche’s. They already were better on their cars and perfectly stable a generation ago, so imagine next generation !
Sponsored

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
I was checking these out yesterday and was disappointed to find out these first Mercedes EVs will have a 400V architecture and a very decent 600-700km. range. So either the batteries capacity and weight is whopping or the power and performance are lacking. Maybe worse still, it could be a combination of both. The electrical motors come from ZF and are not Mercedes. One thing is for sure, they will take longer to charge on the road. And another as well: the telematics are going be far and away years ahead of Porsche’s. They already were better on their cars and perfectly stable a generation ago, so imagine next generation !
Have you seen the detailed specifications for the cars?

I am not sure about your conclusions about power and range.
400 volt architecture is the same as a Tesla modelS and they have a similar range as per WLTP. And the Tesla’s are not slowin acceleration or to charge so I do not see why the EQS should be worse off. They are part of the Ionity partners so should be possible as the Taycan can do?

I have not noted any comments at all about the telematics in the existing EQC? But overall that one has not really hit the mark, has it?

But I completely agree that the build quality on a S class will be far superior to a Tesla!

OP
OP

DeciusCaeciliusMetellus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford
Country flag
From https://www.daimler.com/dokumente/i...es-benz-strategy-update-2020-presentation.pdf

Porsche Taycan 2021 Audi e-tron GT, the Taycan's sibling... 1602235588788

Porsche Taycan 2021 Audi e-tron GT, the Taycan's sibling... 1602235731056

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag

Pozuelo

First Name
Roberto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2018 E63S Estate, 2023 A45S
Country flag
The 800V in-house is a development for the 2023 and onwards small car platform. This one is another story. I guess they had no time to develop an in-house motor for their first vehicles. After all, Tesla, BMW, Toyota and even the VW group have a big head start in development of this technology. EQC has 370-409 km. range with 80kw/h battery and a 40 minute 10-80% recharge time in ultra-fast charger due to only 110kw maximum charge. Obviously the EQS will be able to charge faster, but remember charging at 400V will be slower than 800V, so even if it were able to charge at 350Kw, at 400V it is going to take at least 50% more time than the Taycan. Add to this that the battery pack is rumored to be 100kw/h and the recharge time is going to be closer to 40 minutes.

OP
OP

DeciusCaeciliusMetellus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford
Country flag
The 800V in-house is a development for the 2023 and onwards small car platform. This one is another story. I guess they had no time to develop an in-house motor for their first vehicles. After all, Tesla, BMW, Toyota and even the VW group have a big head start in development of this technology. EQC has 370-409 km. range with 80kw/h battery and a 40 minute 10-80% recharge time in ultra-fast charger due to only 110kw maximum charge. Obviously the EQS will be able to charge faster, but remember charging at 400V will be slower than 800V, so even if it were able to charge at 350Kw, at 400V it is going to take at least 50% more time than the Taycan. Add to this that the battery pack is rumored to be 100kw/h and the recharge time is going to be closer to 40 minutes.
Yeah. Just found this table:
View attachment 9425

Porsche Taycan 2021 Audi e-tron GT, the Taycan's sibling... 1602246541389

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0

oalsaker

First Name
Øystein
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crayon Taycan 4s
Country flag
I think this picture from the e-tron gt production line shows conclusively that the car will not be a hatchback. From here.
Porsche Taycan 2021 Audi e-tron GT, the Taycan's sibling... A206048_medium

Dlurker20

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Acura MDX, Mini Cooper
Country flag
I was pretty keen to wait for an e-tron GT earlier this year, but looking at the performance specs Audi are touting I'm not convinced it will be priced much below a 4S at least initially.

...and then I did a test drive in a Taycan and put an order in more or less straight away, such a fantastic car.
So funny, this was me to a T. And now that I have the Taycan...damn I'm happy I went with this emotional purchase.

Tay Tay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Loving him is like driving a new Maserati down a dead-end street
Country flag
CAR said the Audi will use electric torque vectoring. That sounds like a one-up on brake-based PTV to me.

4SJB

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4SCT Mini Cooper S Audi A4 3.0 TDI
Country flag
As a lifetime Audi driver, I would have has the Audi (in Daytona grey). If they were both available, but I could not wait.
The factory shots for the GT look very similar to the Taycan production line?! Are they built in the same factory?

We seem to be right on the edge of a tipping point where EVs from mainstream producers will start to come thick and fast. In a way I feel a-little like a guinea pig with the Tay-can helping the VW group get to grips with this tech. The upside is that everyone says it is SO GOOD to drive. Can't wait for Dec 3rd.

PS Car Magazine showing a 1050bhp R Class. The future looks great!

oalsaker

First Name
Øystein
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crayon Taycan 4s
Country flag
The factory shots for the GT look very similar to the Taycan production line?! Are they built in the same factory?
No, Audi builds their car in the same factory they build the R8, but my impression is that they use the same robot system like Porsche:
  • Production of the Audi e-tron GT at Audi Böllinger Höfe, which opened in 2014 at the Neckarsulm site; expansion and conversion 2019; new virtual planning methods
  • The body shop for the e-tron GT is around 85 percent automated; ten stations with a total of 34 robots
  • Correlation-free inline measurement is a new technology offering the highest precision, with a maximum possible deviation of just +/-0.20 millimeters
  • The joint assembly line for Audi e-tron GT and Audi R8 despite their different technology concepts is unique in the Volkswagen Group
  • Different conveyor technologies on the assembly line: 20 driverless transport vehicles, new electrically powered overhead conveyor rail, autonomous transfer station
So, plenty of robots but no panel gaps.

Gwaihir

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
No, Audi builds their car in the same factory they build the R8, but my impression is that they use the same robot system like Porsche:
  • Production of the Audi e-tron GT at Audi Böllinger Höfe, which opened in 2014 at the Neckarsulm site; expansion and conversion 2019; new virtual planning methods
  • The body shop for the e-tron GT is around 85 percent automated; ten stations with a total of 34 robots
  • Correlation-free inline measurement is a new technology offering the highest precision, with a maximum possible deviation of just +/-0.20 millimeters
  • The joint assembly line for Audi e-tron GT and Audi R8 despite their different technology concepts is unique in the Volkswagen Group
  • Different conveyor technologies on the assembly line: 20 driverless transport vehicles, new electrically powered overhead conveyor rail, autonomous transfer station
So, plenty of robots but no panel gaps.
Maybe that’s why Porsche have 500 Audi workers with them. Could be training on the Taycan line in readiness for the Audi GT production.