22KW charging

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
so far I’ve found nothing “affordable” that also works on single phase residential power in the US - but yeah I think for more than 60 amps AC charging FastDC is the way to go - now all we need is a residential appropriate price & capacity.
What would be "affordable"? These chargers are not cheap, even in China a regular 11kW AC wallbox is min 500 USD.
Sponsored

LovinTaycan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Porsche Taycan and 2019 Mercedes S560V
Country flag
If you buy the Delta or Bosch, granted not cheap, and you hook these up to single phase 100AMP, which I do have at my home, this charger will charge at 25kw using the DC charging port or the AC charging port on the Taycan?

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
$500 is cheap and in line for a charger - I’d consider $2500 or less.

PerPower

First Name
Per
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Y Performance, Taycan 4S+
Country flag
It’s true that we have a lot of 22 kW chargers in EU but you can of course still use them with 11 kW. And the charges are typically in places where your car will be there for several hours, e.g. workplaces, hotels, restaurants, shopping centers, so 11 kW will be just fine.

In my 7 years driving Tesla’s 11 kW charging at home and in on destination chargers has been more than enough. If it was included as standard I’ll take the 22 kW, but at that price tag I’ll skip :)

Last edited:

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
It’s true that we have a lot of 22 kW chargers in EU but you can of course still use them with 11 kW. And the charges are typically in places where your car will be there for several hours, e.g. workplaces, hotels, restaurants, shopping centers, so 11 kW will be just fine.

In my 7 years driving Tesla’s 11 kW charging at home and in on destination chargers has been more than enough. If it was included as standard I’ll take the 22 kW, but at that price tag I’ll skip :)
I agree that for daily use and driving the 11 kW charger is just fine. I am thinking more about long distance driving When DC chargers are either sparse or out of service. And they are frequently out of service unfortunately. Porsche Charging Planner is so out of date with info, so it’s useless! But with Covid-19 I might be waiting for some time yet for long distance trips.

The price for the Porsche option seems crazy, given that the electric Smart car and the Zoe have this included? That would represent nearly 10% of the cars overall price! Is this a downside of 800 volt architecture?

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
...at the moment the 22 kW charger option really seems to only make sense in the non-US markets. And it doesn't quite fit the US market given it's unique requirements.
The grid in the US is very different to Europa/China. 230V on 3 phase with up to 63A is min standard in most house holds.

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
The price for the Porsche option seems crazy, given that the electric Smart car and the Zoe have this included? That would represent nearly 10% of the cars overall price! Is this a downside of 800 volt architecture?
No, it is Porsche, like most other brands, making money with options! :)

Neighs

First Name
Horsey
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, BMW X3 35d, BMW 135i
Country flag
Seeing as the option is now on the UK configurator, I emailed my dealer to ask him to add it to my build...

He replied

“It is not available to order until at least December for delivery next year.”

Duc959

First Name
FR
Threads
Reaction score
Website
share.octopus.energy
Vehicles
RR Vogue Autobiography, Ducati Panigale V2
Country flag
Seeing as the option is now on the UK configurator, I emailed my dealer to ask him to add it to my build...

He replied

“It is not available to order until at least December for delivery next year.”
I got told the same with deliveries feb/March

PerPower

First Name
Per
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Y Performance, Taycan 4S+
Country flag
I wonder if Porsche will make it possible to upgrade to the 22 kW after taking delivery of the car?

If it is only the charger, and not the wiring that needs to be exchanged, and there is room for the 22 kW charger, then it would be possible. Would be a nice upgrade to the car in the near future if you should need the faster charging.

LovinTaycan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Porsche Taycan and 2019 Mercedes S560V
Country flag
I wonder if Porsche will make it possible to upgrade to the 22 kW after taking delivery of the car?

If it is only the charger, and not the wiring that needs to be exchanged, and there is room for the 22 kW charger, then it would be possible. Would be a nice upgrade to the car in the near future if you should need the faster charging.
I thought this was a hardware upgrade to the car?
Sponsored