'24 GTS ST Build Feedback

bills742

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 GT3, '22 Spyder, '22 Macan GTS, '21 M2C
Country flag
Hi All,

I just submitted my build for a '24 GTS ST and I wanted to make sure I'm not missing something. I've done a fair bit of research so I think I got everything that I would want.

Build is here.

Some anticipated feedback:
  1. No premium package - I didn't want the Thermally and Noise Insulated Glass due to concern about the ineffectiveness of my radar detector and potential cell service degradation.
  2. SportDesign Package in Carbon Fiber - Controversial based on what I've read but I believe the car looks more premium with it. I'm planning on replacing the "GTS" decal on the side skirt that goes missing with this option.
  3. No PDCC - The consensus seems to be that this is unnecessary unless the car lives at the track which it won't.
  4. 4-Zone Climate Control - Will rarely have rear passengers but I've read that you lose front footwell temperature control without this option.
  5. Bose vs. Burmester - This is obviously a heavily discussed topic and Burmester appears to have little value unless you are parked and listening to lossless audio. I primarily listen to satellite radio via the onboard tuner or the app.
  6. Power Charge Port Cover - Various opinions on this, but my take is I avoid fingerprints on the cover with this option, haha.
  7. 19.2 kW On-Board Charger - This is my first EV so I'm still unclear on all the EV lingo. I believe I can benefit from this option only if I have a dedicated 100-amp circuit. I haven't installed the home charger yet so I'm not sure if I'll have this or not. This is my biggest question mark option.
  8. PSCB vs. Iron - Struggled with this one because I hate brake dust, but almost everyone says it's negligible with the standard brakes. PSCBs increase unsprung weight which is the negative for them. I'm still a little worried about "rust dust" with the irons after washes.
Thanks!

Porsche Taycan '24 GTS ST Build Feedback Neptun black caliper white stitch.JPG
Sponsored

Last edited:

SergeyIndy

First Name
Sergey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
24 Macan GTS, 23 Taycan Turbo, 20 Cayenne Turbo,
Country flag
@bills742, welcome, and thank you for sharing your build and providing some rationale to go along with the choices. This is my feedback:

- Neptune/Carbon: Have you seen this color in person and ideally on a GTS trim even if it is a Sedan to see how it looks in different lighting conditions and how it goes together with Lighting in Black (Front/Rear). That was my color of choice, but after driving a loaner for a few days and then seeing a GTS sedan with a Carbon kit, I did not like it at the end, as color was just too dark and dull even in the direct sun, and carbon bits were also too dark to see the carbon patterns inside and out.

- Panoramic Roof: I am not able to figure out if you have the glass roof or not, as it is listed (may be in error) as part of the Standard Equipment, but it is also part of the Premium Package that you did not select, but visualization shows it with a glass roof. You may want to confirm to be sure as MY24 configurator seems to be a half-baked affair as it also shows 911 T decal in Agate Grey as part of the Standard Equipment under your build.

Porsche Taycan '24 GTS ST Build Feedback 1683149633011

- 19.kW On-Board: This is a very narrow need option that happens to be very expensive to have in the house (100Amp dedicated circuit), unless you have one already, plus if so, do you really need to charge faster than it takes for you to sleep at night. Say, rounding these up, standard 11kW will charge in 10 hours and this 19.2kW in 5 hours as $1,680 option.

Tooney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Tires - on most Taycans summer tires are standard. I could not find that in standard equipment listing for this vehicle. (Something is wrong with standard equipment listing since it lists 911 Carrera T side decal as standard). But, there is an option for all season tires. Confirm the tires you want.

If 2-zone (front only) climate control misses out on front footwell heat control, I have not missed that feature in my 22 4S.

Home charging. See https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/us-home-charging-recommendation-this-is-as-simple-as-i-can-make-it…honestly-bare-bones-least-amount-of-text….11745/
and:
https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/us-over-the-top-the-well-equipped-ev-home-garage…for-those-that-wish-to-over-do-it-….2343/
and:
https://www.youtube.com/@StateOfChargeWithTomMoloughney
Nice build. Good luck.

magnitude

First Name
Heinz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
No premium package - I didn't want the Thermally and Noise Insulated Glass due to concern about the ineffectiveness of my radar detector and potential cell service degradation.
I don't know much about radar detectors, but some of them have externally installed components, I think? Maybe not the one you want.

FWIW, I did not notice cell service degradation. This however could be either me not noticing it, or mitigated by separate factors. (Phone using the car's LTE over Wifi? Cellphone amplifier in the charging cubby?)

4-Zone Climate Control - Will rarely have rear passengers but I've read that you lose front footwell temperature control without this option.
Yeah, the two zones in the back are missing without this option, so consequently there's also no panel to control them (I guess you could make them control the entire A/C, but Porsche does not seem to agree).

Bose vs. Burmester - This is obviously a heavily discussed topic and Burmester appears to have little value unless you are parked and listening to lossless audio. I primarily listen to satellite radio via the onboard tuner or the app.
From what I remember about the pretty horrible compression of satellite radio, yeah, you're probably fine with the BOSE.

But a lot of what you read is from people not having the Burmester in the first place. For example, a lot of them seem to miss that without BOSE, you don't have speakers in the A pillars, which is quite a difference by itself.

Still, does not sound like that money spent would be worth it to you.

19.2 kW On-Board Charger - This is my first EV so I'm still unclear on all the EV lingo. I believe I can benefit from this option only if I have a dedicated 100-amp circuit. I haven't installed the home charger yet so I'm not sure if I'll have this or not. This is my biggest question mark option.
I have it in my Taycan because it's a used one, and it was specced like that. To me it's basically "dead weight" (though I don't know if it actually weighs any more), as I can't imagine getting a 100A breaker and an EVSE that supports 19.2kW charging.

But if you want to go for full "future proof", and are maybe anticipating that there are public 19.2kW chargers, then maybe go for it. All chargers I've seen so far have either been of the ~6kW kind (not needing that option), or DC fast chargers, which is different entirely and not relevant to this option.

magnitude

First Name
Heinz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I have it in my Taycan because it's a used one, and it was specced like that. To me it's basically "dead weight" (though I don't know if it actually weighs any more)
It's also worth noting that you can apparently add it later it via Suncoast Parts.

DougFrisk

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
No longer awaiting a 4CT
Country flag
The 22/19.2 KW onboard charger is useful only in very limited situations. The standard 11 KW charger can add range at 25 to 30 miles per hour if connected to a 48 amp/11.5 KW EVSE.

In order to justify the upgraded onboard charger you'd have to come up with a plausible (to you) scenario where you'd need to charge faster than that at home and you'd need to install the charging infrastructure in your home to support that faster charging. I just finished installing my Wallbox 48 amp EVSE today and I've come to realize that it too is likely overkill for my needs.

A minor thing, but for me would affect if I'd buy your car used. If I see "smoking package" I'm going to move on. I don't know how common that attitude might be, but if you don't' actually smoke, maybe skip the free ashtray.

magnitude

First Name
Heinz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
If I see "smoking package" I'm going to move on.
Good to point out. Exactly what I did when I had to pick between two cars. The cars were hundreds of miles away, so I wasn't going to risk sitting in third hand smoke on my commute.

Although the "package" is apparently just a cupholder insert, and from what I could see in forums people specced it just because it's free. Probably negative for resale value, though...

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Hi All,

I just submitted my build for a '24 GTS ST and I wanted to make sure I'm not missing something. I've done a fair bit of research so I think I got everything that I would want.

Build is here.

1. No premium package - I didn't want the Thermally and Noise Insulated Glass due to concern about the ineffectiveness of my radar detector and potential cell service degradation.
  2. SportDesign Package in Carbon Fiber - Controversial based on what I've read but I believe the car looks more premium with it. I'm planning on replacing the "GTS" decal on the side skirt that goes missing with this option.
  3. No PDCC - The consensus seems to be that this is unnecessary unless the car lives at the track which it won't.
  4. 4-Zone Climate Control - Will rarely have rear passengers but I've read that you lose front footwell temperature control without this option.
  5. Bose vs. Burmester - This is obviously a heavily discussed topic and Burmester appears to have little value unless you are parked and listening to lossless audio. I primarily listen to satellite radio via the onboard tuner or the app.
  6. Power Charge Port Cover - Various opinions on this, but my take is I avoid fingerprints on the cover with this option, haha.
  7. 19.2 kW On-Board Charger - This is my first EV so I'm still unclear on all the EV lingo. I believe I can benefit from this option only if I have a dedicated 100-amp circuit. I haven't installed the home charger yet so I'm not sure if I'll have this or not. This is my biggest question mark option.
  8. PSCB vs. Iron - Struggled with this one because I hate brake dust, but almost everyone says it's negligible with the standard brakes. PSCBs increase unsprung weight which is the negative for them. I'm still a little worried about "rust dust" with the irons after washes.
Thanks!

Neptun black caliper white stitch.JPG
I have the standard brakes on my 4S but have the PSCBs on my GTS ST - step change IMHO.

I'd skip carbon.

I'd skip most options in the tech package (HUD, ACC and Passenger Display) but would have: 360 Pano over remote park, Bose, Pano roof, black rails

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
The 22/19.2 KW onboard charger is useful only in very limited situations. The standard 11 KW charger can add range at 25 to 30 miles per hour if connected to a 48 amp/11.5 KW EVSE.

In order to justify the upgraded onboard charger you'd have to come up with a plausible (to you) scenario where you'd need to charge faster than that at home and you'd need to install the charging infrastructure in your home to support that faster charging. I just finished installing my Wallbox 48 amp EVSE today and I've come to realize that it too is likely overkill for my needs.

A minor thing, but for me would affect if I'd buy your car used. If I see "smoking package" I'm going to move on. I don't know how common that attitude might be, but if you don't' actually smoke, maybe skip the free ashtray.
Many discussions on the 19.2KW charger on this forum. You are right, highly dependent on usage. I have a decade of driving EV's with 19.2KW. Generally, except during COVID pandemic, I found it useful once or twice a year. That said, so far on the Taycan it was useful once during my trip home from the dealer (very long trip - 19.2KW came handy when I was topping off at a hotel trying to make it to dinner before the restaurant closed - hotel had 80A but only 208V charger), and about 30+ times since I got home - the first month I was home I had my old Tesla in the garage where Taycan would go, I was keeping it there so that it would stay clean to show to potential buyers, so Taycan had to be charged while on the driveway with the garage door partially open for the chage cable form the garage to reach the Taycan - there it really helped me to charge it in half the time, so I didn't have to wait longer before having to unplug it to close the garage for the night. Now that the the old Tesla is gone, the Taycan is still able to use full 80A, which is shared with my wife's Tesla (so when both are charging at the same time, each gets 40A). I'm going to guess it will come handy once or twice a year, like with the previous EV's (which had similar range to the Taycan). Last but not least, EV chargers are of personal interest to me (side hobby) so having 80A capable charger factors into my experiments too (on top of the once or twice a year usefulness for actual charging).

As for smoking package, I'm not sure how many people would care but you are right that some people may be mislead. You could put "non-smoker" or "car never smoked in" in the listing. Personally I skipped that free package because I honestly don't know what I would do with that ash tray - at first I thought I could repurpose it, but then decided I would never want to give up the cup holder.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I have never considered a GTS, but I checked out this build a little. Can anyone tell me what exactly is the " GTS Interior Package in Chalk"? It $5,330 for some deviated chalk stitching and few carbon fiber pieces? Everything else seems to already be part of standard GTS options. In th configurator, it takes a careful look to spot any difference besides the stitching. Am I missing something, or is this just a stitching color and some CF décor? It also seems to be mutually exclusive with ventilated seats (adding those removes the above package).

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
- 19.kW On-Board: This is a very narrow need option that happens to be very expensive to have in the house (100Amp dedicated circuit)
It depends on where you are installing the charger (primarily how far from the main distribution panel). The price difference could be as little couple of hundred dollars if not too far. I ran it myself, less than 50ft total to two chargers, parts cost difference would be ~$300. Porsche 80A capable wall charger is actually cheaper than 40A PMCC (which comes nerfed to default to 20A), even if you buy it as an upgrade at build time from PMC+ and get a mounting enclosure to go with it. So getting a Porsche wall charger instead of PMCC upgrade plus enclosure could save you enough to cover the price difference from 60A to 100A run in most cases.

Last edited:

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I have never considered a GTS, but I checked out this build a little. Can anyone tell me what exactly is the " GTS Interior Package in Chalk"? It $5,330 for some deviated chalk stitching and few carbon fiber pieces? Everything else seems to already be part of standard GTS options. In th configurator, it takes a careful look to spot any difference besides the stitching. Am I missing something, or is this just a stitching color and some CF décor? It also seems to be mutually exclusive with ventilated seats (adding those removes the above package).
Racetex + crayon stiching - head rests etc, more racetex than standard interior and some fibre.

Not worth the upgrade IMHO - I went leather rather than standard or the enhanced interior package - can be too much Racetex (some folk can't have enough)

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Racetex + crayon stiching - head rests etc, more racetex than standard interior and some fibre.

Not worth the upgrade IMHO - I went leather rather than standard or the enhanced interior package - can be too much Racetex (some folk can't have enough)
I thought it was all racetex already on a standard GTS. If not, what is it that this package replaces with racetex? Leather, fabric, plastic wrap?

nischalr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS ST, Audi Q4 E-tron
Country flag
I thought it was all racetex already on a standard GTS. If not, what is it that this package replaces with racetex? Leather, fabric, plastic wrap?
It is the deviated stitch that you are paying for, same cost as the regular deviated stitch option but a little more value due to the “free” carbon fiber bits.

David Baldwino

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S Turismo
Country flag
Hi All,

Build is here.

Thanks!

Neptun black caliper white stitch.JPG
My only real regret on my CT4S ....Take No 8 - unless you like to see rust in about 1hr of stopping ( damp UK climate ) enjoy.