evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2019 BMW i8, 2023 BMW iXM60
Country flag
Yup, I'm sure 25% infill is fine on the supports! I just printed everything at 50% so I could run it all at once and walk away...

BTW - Here is a print file for a "Nut Insert" which will slide right in behind the nuts to lock them in place. Just use acetone on a q-tip to prime the hole and the rim of the insert before you slide it in behind the nut. I have a bottle of black ABS Slurry that I use for this purpose (as a glue instead of the acetone). This assumes of course you are using ABS as your print filament...

Since you have a printer, have you tried printing the Console Mount?
Sponsored

porsche_coyote

First Name
Wiley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW ID.4 AWD Pro S, BMW i3
Country flag
Yup, I'm sure 25% infill is fine on the supports! I just printed everything at 50% so I could run it all at once and walk away...

BTW - Here is a print file for a "Nut Insert" which will slide right in behind the nuts to lock them in place. Just use acetone on a q-tip to prime the hole and the rim of the insert before you slide it in behind the nut. I have a bottle of black ABS Slurry that I use for this purpose (as a glue instead of the acetone). This assumes of course you are using ABS as your print filament...

Since you have a printer, have you tried printing the Console Mount?
I didn't really have a use for the console mount, so no. It looks like a neat design.

Wendal

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan, Taycan 4s
Country flag
Hi

Do I just print out the top left two pieces and also the bottom two pieces?

I messed up by printing out the v1 file which only had the 2 top and 2 bottom pieces.

I don’t have a 3d printer at home so I don’t know what I’m doing, and I am sending it out to a lab to help me print.

This is a very well done front plate idea. Thank you for making it. I really appreciate it.

Porsche Taycan 3D Printed Removable Front Plate Mount for Taycan (Print Files Attached) 54D9FB0E-E389-4D12-8E12-E513E9DD5C15

OP
OP
evanevery

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Hi

Do I just print out the top left two pieces and also the bottom two pieces?

I messed up by printing out the v1 file which only had the 2 top and 2 bottom pieces.

I don’t have a 3d printer at home so I don’t know what I’m doing, and I am sending it out to a lab to help me print.

This is a very well done front plate idea. Thank you for making it. I really appreciate it.
If you only want the standard plate mount, you only need to print the following pieces:

- Grill Mounts: These are the pieces which attach to your grill
- Supports: These are the standard uprights to which you attach the plate
- Nut Lock (x2): You can glue these in behind your nuts in the Grill Mounts to help hold the nuts in place when the uprights are removed

(BTW - It looks like the Grill Mounts were in the original V3 archive twice - both as "Grill Mounts" and also as "Mounts". I probably renamed them for clarity and then forgot to remove the original files... )

Here is an abbreviated archive for you (attached). This contains only the very basic components and none of the variations or add-ons for attaching "other stuff"...

Attachments

Last edited:

Wendal

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan, Taycan 4s
Country flag
If you only want the standard plate mount, you only need to print the following pieces:

- Nut Lock (x2): You can glue these in behind your nuts in the Grill Mounts to help hold the nuts in place when the uprights are removed

(BTW - It looks like the Grill Mounts are in the archive twice - both as "Grill Mounts" and also as "Mounts". I probably renamed them for clarity and then forgot to remove the original files... )

Here is an abbreviated archive for you (attached). This contains only the very basic components and none of the variations or add-ons for attaching "other stuff"...
Thank you, I will forward it to the print shop. I’m already so excited!!!

OP
OP
evanevery

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thank you, I will forward it to the print shop. I’m already so excited!!!
I would suggest they print this in "ABS" with 50% infill for strength. (You don't want them printing it in "PLA" as it will likely deform in the summer heat!).

Glad to help!

Wendal

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan, Taycan 4s
Country flag
Wow this took me 3 weeks..... thank you for this it looks great!

I’m wondering if anyone would like to do another project?

Its for the back bumper license plate. For the NA cars our back has this nasty and bulkylicense plate holder. But for the euro versionsit’s flat. I think it may look better even if our license plate is bigger.

What do you guys think?

And Merry Christmas all!!! Stay healthy and stay safe!

Porsche Taycan 3D Printed Removable Front Plate Mount for Taycan (Print Files Attached) F96306DD-520E-4542-AE5E-27D009110EE0

Porsche Taycan 3D Printed Removable Front Plate Mount for Taycan (Print Files Attached) E023D01A-2D62-4DD5-995F-0B021F827C64

OP
OP
evanevery

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Is that just a flat mounting plate? Laser cut it out of acrylic?

Wendal

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan, Taycan 4s
Country flag
Is that just a flat mounting plate? Laser cut it out of acrylic?
I haven’t done anything. I justtook off the license plate holder. That’s what it looks like without the hideous plate holder.

I was wondering if maybe someone would like to start a small back plate project. ? Maybe looking more like a European version of the Taycan from the back.

OP
OP
evanevery

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I haven’t done anything. I justtook off the license plate holder. That’s what it looks like without the hideous plate holder.

I was wondering if maybe someone would like to start a small back plate project. ? Maybe looking more like a European version of the Taycan from the back.
OK, so having not much to do this morning...

Here are the dimensions I have measured which you would need to perform this project. (Not that I refuse to work in "inches"):

- US License Plates are 12" x 6" = 304.8 mm x 152.4

- US License Plate mounting hole "rectangle" is 7" x 4-3/4" = 177.8 mm x 120.65 mm

- The US Plate mounting hole "rectangle" is centered on the plate

- The US Plate mounting screws need about a 6mm hole for clearance (or a 4.5mm hole for "bite")

- The US Plate has about 13mm of clearance above it (on the US Mount) to the upper edge of the US Plate mount (underside of the bumper)

- The US Plate lower edge is approximately flush with the lower edge of the US Plate Mount.

- The US Plate Mount is about 500 mm wide (and replacement will also need to be to cover the rectangular holes behind it)

- The US Plate Mount mounting holes (2) are 225 mm apart (centered on the mount)

- The US Plate Mount mounting holes are about 55mm below the US Plate upper holes and about
65 mm above the US Plate lower holes

- The US Plate Mount mounting screws need about a 6.5 mm dia hole for clearance

This all means the NEW plate mount would be about 20" x 6-1/2". This is generally well beyond the bed size of most 3D printers and, since this is basically a "flat" project, a CNC Laser Cutter would likely be the most convenient tool for the process (with a Black Acrylic sheet being the material to be cut).

This would all be pretty straight forward except for the challenge of mounting the US Plate to the Acrylic panel. Acrylic is very brittle and does not lend itself very well to the stresses of being threaded by a self tapping screw.

You could 3D print some large diameter, relatively thick "washers" which could be glued to the black of the acrylic panel to give the plate screws something to bite into. Large enough outside diameter to provide a good gluing surface, and thick enough to give adequate bite. Maybe 25 mm outside dia and 12mm thick with a 4.5 mm hole in the center....

...and if you are mounting these "washers" to the back side of the new plate, you would also want to print some identical thickness "standoffs" to glue behind the new mount screws to keep things level and flat. So, again, 25mm dia and 12mm thick except now with a 6.5mm hole in the center as we do not need to "bite" into anything...

So here are some files to get you started. (I put a 5mm R round on the outside corners of the plate mount for appearance sake). I provided an STL file for each of the components so they can be 3D printed (even though you are NOT likely going to print the plate mount itself because it is so large). Also included are DXF and DWG files to use as a source for all these parts and their "preliminary" dimensions.

I'm not going to do this myself as I'm happy with the existing rear mount, but if you have any suggestions, or would like me to tweak anything, please let me know. (I am concerned that the open rectangles left in the bumper might require a larger width to hide them).

Anyway, maybe this is a start for someone to do this project...

(Another possible solution just occurs to me which might lend itself to be 3D printable. I'll mock something up shortly and post the illustration - however I'm not removing my rear plate mount so it would be difficult for me to get actual detailed measurements...)

Attachments

OP
OP
evanevery

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
OK, so here's another possibility (which could be 3D printed). Please note that this is only an illustration and the required dimensions would have to be verified.

Basically, the rear plate mount gets printed in two pieces - a left half and a right half. ...and we use the large semi-rectangular holes on either side (see previously posted photo) to help ensure each half is properly aligned. (...and this also fills those holes!) Here is an illustration for the left half:

Porsche Taycan 3D Printed Removable Front Plate Mount for Taycan (Print Files Attached) Rear Plate Mount 2 (Half)

- We are looking at the left half from the front (the surface which mates up against the bumper panel).

- The semi-rectangular hole in the bumper panel would be filled with the extrusion on the upper right of the image.

- Note the little shoulder around half of the extrusion. This would ensure that the mount would be held flat against the bumper panel once tightened down.

- The screw hole in the center is where the existing mount screw would hold this up against the bumper panel. The two other holes (above and below) are where the screws (on the left side of the plate) hold the license plate to the mount.

- Each half of the plate mount would be held solidly against the bumper panel by a single screw (existing). The semi-rectangular extrusion would fit into the existing hole (on each side) and ensure each half of the plate mount is kept in Horizontal and Vertical alignment. The shoulder on each extrusion would ensure each half of the plate mount is kept flat and level with each other and the car.

- Ultimately I would put some lightening holes in the print (under the license plate area) to reduce plastic requirements but I do not include them right now as they might be confusing at this point.

- The right side mount is merely a mirror image of the left side mount.

Here's the deal, I will be happy to work up actual dimensioned print files if someone wants to do the work to get precise measurements and test the fitment. (You are obviously going to need a 3D printer to do this). There are only a couple of critical dimensions I need to add to the design, but you will need to remove the mount from the car. (Although it appears I only need to drill out one rivet to do this, I am not going to do that as I am also not intending on using this mount myself). Basically, all I need are the precise dimensions/shape of the semi-rectangular hole, its exact location from the main screw mounting hole, and the precise gap between the flat mounting plate and the bumper panel in the vicinity of the semi-rectangular hole.

If anyone is interested in pursuing this design any further, please let me know!

andre-s

First Name
Andre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4
Country flag

(BTW - It looks like the Grill Mounts were in the original V3 archive twice - both as "Grill Mounts" and also as "Mounts". I probably renamed them for clarity and then forgot to remove the original files... )

Hey, are you planning on selling these? These are by far the best ideas I have seen. I'm also not a big fan of the tow hitch support, with the plate to the side. If you plan selling, let me know and I'd be the first customer.

GaryT

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S, Porsche Macan, Porsche 911 Turbo, Porsche 928S
Country flag
Hey, are you planning on selling these? These are by far the best ideas I have seen. I'm also not a big fan of the tow hitch support, with the plate to the side. If you plan selling, let me know and I'd be the first customer.
I'll be the second customer.

mikeva

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan Base
Country flag
I would also be interested.... while I find the 3-D printer fascinating, it is not really something I want to add to my hobbies right now.... much rather pay for the materials and some profit for someone that knows what they are doing...
Sponsored