6th on the list at my OPC for my GTS ST - how long to wait and what to do?

Robbols

First Name
Robbie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Golf R Estate
Country flag
I know this is a well worn topic but I'd be interested in some best guesses / ideas please. Placed my order on 24 Dec 2021...

- Best guess of delivery date?
- Have a 7kw PV system on my roof just sitting here - worth getting an interim EV? Polestar for a year and then sell it for the same money?
- Want a classy, fast, estate EV - are there any other options out there? Any challengers to the GTS ST coming soon...?
Sponsored

MTGBUK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi SQ7, Turbo S CT (Received :)
Country flag
I know this is a well worn topic but I'd be interested in some best guesses / ideas please. Placed my order on 24 Dec 2021...

- Have a 7kw PV system on my roof just sitting here - worth getting an interim EV? Polestar for a year and then sell it for the same money?
- Want a classy, fast, estate EV - are there any other options out there? Any challengers to the GTS ST coming soon...?
As every OPC has different amount of allocations assigned to them. Not knowing allocations history a guess would be a guess at best.
It has been mentioned that all OPCs have been assigned their allocations for 2022. You need to ask your OPC whether they have received any allocation from the model and variant you want. Let’s say for arguments sake that your OPC has received 1 allocation per quarter. Do the maths and that would be your “best” guess.
As for another EV estate. I believe the only other one available is the MG. Obviously doesn’t compare but it is cheaper and has a noticeably more space in the back.

Sidicks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi S1, Porsche Taycan ST GTS
Country flag

Not much help, but if your OPC is Mid-Sussex (based on your location), I am not sure they yet have a confirmed build slot for the number 1 on their list...

TaycanHero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan GTS Sport Turismo (2023)
Country flag
Use this website and keep clicking the orange button.

I am seriously considering buying (company car) an interim EV on a 12 month buy back clause. Weighing up against an ONTO / ELMO / PIVOTOL / CUPRA / MOCEAN rental, it will likely work out cheaper and with a better car. However, that too is fraught with problems.

I found a BMW I4 yesterday. Spoke to the dealer over the phone about a buyback agreement. I was phoned back within ten minutes. It had been sold.

My shortlist for buying a car is a Cupra Born 77KW, Ioniq 5 73KW and BMW I40 40 M Sport. I need longer range and something fun to drive. All three somewhat match that profile. Also sub £60k or I would probably get an I-PACE instead. I also don't want my insurance premium to be sky high, so that too means finding something <£55k.

Nothing exists and no ETA on when the Audi e-Tron Avant arrives, though it is ugly.

You should consider the I4, even though it's not an estate. It allegedly has excellent driving characteristics, and you probably will be able to pick one up quickly because of cancelled orders (we don't need three quarters to confirm recession is already here) or unregistered dealer demos.

Arguably the Ioniq 5 N Trim is roughly an estate, as an XXL hatch back, and it will be very fast. Nothing exists on the market. Your best bet would be an estate hybrid and if you are buying personally, then you don't have as many tax considerations.

If you are buying through a company or as salary sacrifice, then it's probably best to get a rental from one of the abovementioned companies. It's an interim car so no point going all out.

p.s. supply issues are affecting every brand so if you did want to buy an interim car, you do not have the luxury of choosing what you want. It is quite likely if I do buy that it will be something other than my shortlisted cars as I need something by July - and something available to drive off the forecourt.

mutanthands

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS, Suzuki Cara
Country flag
How many GTS ST allocations has your OPC had since it’s launch?
Use that number to get a rough idea of how long your wait will be.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag

So whilst you have paid a deposit in the absence of an allocation and build slot which has been locked then you cannot predict delivery times.

You can extrapolate from build slot / lock (the point when no spec changes can be made) when your car will enter production (shortly thereafter) and be delivered within 8 - 12 weeks on average from that point.

MG make an awful looking EV estate BUT suspect Audi will be first with an E-Tron wagon and / or an A6 Avant.

If you're confident you won't lose money on an interim choice then go for it.

OP
OP

Robbols

First Name
Robbie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Golf R Estate
Country flag
How many GTS ST allocations has your OPC had since it’s launch?
Use that number to get a rough idea of how long your wait will be.
Porsche Tewkesbury (not Mid Sussex as although that's where I live they didn't seem interested in me once I explained I didn't want Porsche finance). And I think the allocation so far is zero! That equates to a very long wait!

OP
OP

Robbols

First Name
Robbie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Golf R Estate
Country flag
Use this website and keep clicking the orange button.

I am seriously considering buying (company car) an interim EV on a 12 month buy back clause. Weighing up against an ONTO / ELMO / PIVOTOL / CUPRA / MOCEAN rental, it will likely work out cheaper and with a better car. However, that too is fraught with problems.

I found a BMW I4 yesterday. Spoke to the dealer over the phone about a buyback agreement. I was phoned back within ten minutes. It had been sold.

My shortlist for buying a car is a Cupra Born 77KW, Ioniq 5 73KW and BMW I40 40 M Sport. I need longer range and something fun to drive. All three somewhat match that profile. Also sub £60k or I would probably get an I-PACE instead. I also don't want my insurance premium to be sky high, so that too means finding something <£55k.

Nothing exists and no ETA on when the Audi e-Tron Avant arrives, though it is ugly.

You should consider the I4, even though it's not an estate. It allegedly has excellent driving characteristics, and you probably will be able to pick one up quickly because of cancelled orders (we don't need three quarters to confirm recession is already here) or unregistered dealer demos.

Arguably the Ioniq 5 N Trim is roughly an estate, as an XXL hatch back, and it will be very fast. Nothing exists on the market. Your best bet would be an estate hybrid and if you are buying personally, then you don't have as many tax considerations.

If you are buying through a company or as salary sacrifice, then it's probably best to get a rental from one of the abovementioned companies. It's an interim car so no point going all out.

p.s. supply issues are affecting every brand so if you did want to buy an interim car, you do not have the luxury of choosing what you want. It is quite likely if I do buy that it will be something other than my shortlisted cars as I need something by July - and something available to drive off the forecourt.
Thanks. Some great options and basically we've considered exactly the same options!

At Goodwood FoS yesterday and the car that most took my fancy as an interim was the Ford Mustang Mach-E GT (I think that's what it's called!) Issue with that is that I don't think it has roof bars which I def want to transport bikes, kayak etc.

TaycanHero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan GTS Sport Turismo (2023)
Country flag

Yorkshirepuds

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS ST, Harley Heritage, Triumph Rocket 3
Country flag
FWIW... I spoke with my OPC (Newcastle) just two days ago and he confirmed that they are still waiting for their first GTS ST allocation. They have had saloons but 'considerably less than expected'.

Clod Reed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Neptune blue Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
My OPC let my GTS ST august build allocation freese date slip 🤯….then found a November build date (after a bit of complaining)😉

Sidicks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi S1, Porsche Taycan ST GTS
Country flag
FWIW... I spoke with my OPC (Newcastle) just two days ago and he confirmed that they are still waiting for their first GTS ST allocation. They have had saloons but 'considerably less than expected'.
I think there are OPCs in a similar position - they’ve had their GTS demonstrator but no confirmed build slots for customer cars, as yet.
Sponsored