louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo (sold), Mini Cooper SE, Mercedes Sprinter RV, BMW K1600GT
Country flag
Isn’t this more a commercial agreement problem? I think Elon Musk some years ago invited other EV manufacturers to make an agreement. But no takers. That was a couple of years ago though and now Tesla have built out a very strong network.

https://chargedevs.com/newswire/elo...akers-about-sharing-the-supercharger-network/

I think there are more admin and commercial issues that Porsche don not have agreements with some of the other Super Fast Chargers. They certainly have an agreement here in Europe with others, but not always at attractive pricing.
Elon made offers that were clearly so good that everyone turned them down. Hmmm... Not a single company took them up on it. What does that tell you? :cool:

Yes, there are other agreements in other countries. I was speaking only about the US and Canadian customers. My apologies! Small thinking.

There aren't really any other chargers in the US that compete with EA in terms of speed. ChargePoint supposedly makes one that's faster than 62.5kW, but I've never seen it in real life, only on their web page. EVgo seems to only make 50kW chargers.
Sponsored

porsche_coyote

First Name
Wiley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW ID.4 AWD Pro S, BMW i3
Country flag
There aren't really any other chargers in the US that compete with EA in terms of speed. ChargePoint supposedly makes one that's faster than 62.5kW, but I've never seen it in real life, only on their web page. EVgo seems to only make 50kW chargers.
EVGo chargers in Foster City claim to be 80 kW. I can't verify since both our current EVs top out at 50 kW.

wemct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Cayenne S Coupe; '22 AMG SL55; Taycan 4S(sold)
Country flag
Four new EA chargers recently went online a few miles from my house. They are 150kW DC chargers, not 350kW. Given all the bad EA experiences posted on the forum, I decided to try them out. I arrived with a fairly high SOC of charge about 67% so I wasn't expecting a high rate of charge. I was pleasantly surprised. Until I hit 80% SOC, the rate kept going up. I peaked at slightly over 122kW. I ended the session after 15 minutes and left with 92% SOC which gave me a nice excuse to run around the rest of the afternoon in Sport Plus mode.
Porsche Taycan A very fast ElectrifyAmerica charge. 20200713_180407_resized

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
But ElectrifyAmerica *is not* VW. They are a legally separate company (founded on settlement money from VW’s losses in court).
Doesn't that answer it? They got the money and no further incentive to service.

If you really want change you need to push your gov to push EVs.

OP
OP
louv

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Doesn't that answer it? They got the money and no further incentive to service.

If you really want change you need to push your gov to push EVs.
Government has little control over the Quality delivered from a private company (EA) to a private customer (Porsche) for and end user (me).

Our government (at the top) is supporting Coal and Oil. At State levels there is EV support. But I don’t live in a very rich state (like California) so things move slowly here. We do have cheap lobster though.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
Elon made offers that were clearly so good that everyone turned them down. Hmmm... Not a single company took them up on it. What does that tell you? :cool:
Some big egoes at play on both sides??? :swear:

Miwa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
EA will need customers, and will dance to whatever tune VAG plays for them. Who's on the EA board?

It'll be another year before I expect EA to really get their stuff together.

Bikergal

First Name
Sue
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S, 2013 Boxster S, 2014 Cayenne
Country flag
In my area, Texas, the EA network is dismal - always 'not working'. Since Tesla stations seem to be everywhere - any tips on how to use the Taycan at those stations?
Tesla stations are not owned by Tesla rather by the hosting company. Exception is the supercharger stations. Those are proprietary.

psglas

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4, Audi RS4, Defender 90
Country flag
EA in Scarborough, Maine. (Porsche Nav says 350kW, EA says 350kW, my experience: 263kW. SoC & Temp would predict up to 270kW)

The EA station was interesting. First, 3 of the 4 pads there have been offline for 2 or 3 weeks. The EA app said only 1 was operational (a 150kW pad). The car’s Nav said 4 were available. (!?!). So I took a chance and went there. Indeed, all four pads were working (and available).
Did you do anything specific to initiate Direct Charging? I tried an IONITY Chrager in the UK at the weekend which it rated up to 350kW like EA but I only managed 107kW at 59%. However I notice in the timelapse above your display says Direct Charging. Mine didn't, see below.

Porsche Taycan A very fast ElectrifyAmerica charge. IMG_8429

OP
OP
louv

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Did you do anything specific to initiate Direct Charging? I tried an IONITY Chrager in the UK at the weekend which it rated up to 350kW like EA but I only managed 107kW at 59%. However I notice in the timelapse above your display says Direct Charging. Mine didn't, see below.

IMG_8429.jpeg
The “Direct Charging” setting ONLY affects AC (Level 2) charging. DC Fast charging always behaves like “Direct Charging” is on ) that is: charge immediately and until full or unplugged.

HK111

First Name
Henrik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS, Corvette C7 Stingray, Mercedes V
Country flag
I tried an IONITY Chrager in the UK at the weekend which it rated up to 350kW like EA but I only managed 107kW at 59%.
107 kW at 59% is actually not bad. I often had numbers like this:
0% < SoC < 25% -> 150-250kW
25% < SoC < 50% -> 100-150kW
50% < SoC -> not more than 100 kW, declining a lot when getting full

I have to redo these with a well-tempered battery, though.

Cheers,
Henrik

wemct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Cayenne S Coupe; '22 AMG SL55; Taycan 4S(sold)
Country flag
On Monday, I visited a new EA 150kW Charging station near my house. No issues, decent speed. At lunch time today (2 days later), I decided to visit the same location to see if the other chargers were working. I arrived with a 26% SOC. I decided to plug in and disconnect at 29 minutes to see what I would get for my free session on the 150kW charger. No issues connecting (in fact I haven't experienced any failures at the EA 150 kW chargers). The peak rate was 128kW. I got from 26% to 84% in 29 minutes. Not bad.

At 50% SOC the estimated range was 130 miles. That is amazing given the fact that I have been driving around the last 2 days mostly in Sport Plus and a little bit in Sport. To get 260 miles driving it in a very spirited manner is terrific news for me. I have found that using a 150kW charger vs. the 350kW does not make as much of a difference in the real world unless you are arriving with 10% or less SOC.

Porsche Taycan A very fast ElectrifyAmerica charge. 20200715_125838_resized

Porsche Taycan A very fast ElectrifyAmerica charge. 20200715_130034_resized

Porsche Taycan A very fast ElectrifyAmerica charge. 20200715_131805_resized