f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
But you would have got an L2 M3 cable (rated to 22kW @ 32A) free with the car - no need to purchase another cable?
No, it was a fairly expensive option when I place my order, and since I had the Prius one and didn’t know there were 2 cable possibilities I decided not to bother.
Sponsored

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
No, it was a fairly expensive option when I place my order, and since I had the Prius one and didn’t know there were 2 cable possibilities I decided not to bother.
I would ask my Dealer (out of goodwill) - standard on MY22 cars onwards which yours will be, right?

I had to buy mine (MY21) and is 'free' on my MY23 GTS ST.

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
I would ask my Dealer (out of goodwill) - standard on MY22 cars onwards which yours will be, right?

I had to buy mine (MY21) and is 'free' on my MY23 GTS ST.
It was definitely an option when I filled in the spec, but I suppose when I ordered it would have been the 2021 configurator but definitely a 2022 car even if delivered after 2023 deliveries started…
I will ask.
I didn’t get the tyre goo either.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
It was definitely an option when I filled in the spec, but I suppose when I ordered it would have been the 2021 configurator but definitely a 2022 car even if delivered after 2023 deliveries started…
I will ask.
I didn’t get the tyre goo either.
Frank - they OWE you (for both items).

I am quite the cynic and would not be surprised if both items went 'walkies' - has happened with EVSEs and cables before.

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag
Frank - they OWE you (for both items).

I am quite the cynic and would not be surprised if both items went 'walkies' - has happened with EVSEs and cables before.
So he used the cable that came with PHEV he owned before and didn’t have the 22 Kw cable because it was optional right ?

Porsche Taycan AC charging FA92AD83-5D18-4AD9-AF2D-A9ABD81470D0

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
So he used the cable that came with PHEV he owned before and didn’t have the 22 Kw cable because it was optional right ?

FA92AD83-5D18-4AD9-AF2D-A9ABD81470D0.png
Frank (this is the context of the latest discussion) still has his Prius and used that cable which we know (and he knows better than most) was of a very low rating. He ought to have been supplied with the standard cable FOC as he has a MY22 vehicle.

Please do not cloud this topic with the original OP query (not Frank) which was nothing to do with cables but rather a simple misunderstanding of the vehicle equipment and its capabilities.

I tend to answer the original specific questions raised on the forum and not sidebar conversations (as in this example) which unfortunately crept into this thread which you have sought to make some noise about.

Let's move on...

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag
Does a cable have “intelligence” such that either car or charger can sense its capacity?
I plugged my Taycan into a 7.2 kW source in a car park recently using the cable which came with the Prius PHEV. I hung around to check if the cable got warm but actually the car only reported a 4.2kW charge rate and the cable remained cool.
I was (vaguely) interested if this was a charge source limitation, the car park has lots of plugs and about half were in use, or the cable, and if the cable how the car “knew”.
my post at the end of this thread is not about you but I presume you have read the entire tread and understood.

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag
Frank (this is the context of the latest discussion) still has his Prius and used that cable which we know (and he knows better than most) was of a very low rating. He ought to have been supplied with the standard cable FOC as he has a MY22 vehicle.

Please do not cloud this topic with the original OP query (not Frank) which was nothing to do with cables but rather a simple misunderstanding of the vehicle equipment and its capabilities.

I tend to answer the original specific questions raised on the forum and not sidebar conversations (as in this example) which unfortunately crept into this thread which you have sought to make some noise about.

Let's move on...
👍

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag
Does a cable have “intelligence” such that either car or charger can sense its capacity?
I plugged my Taycan into a 7.2 kW source in a car park recently using the cable which came with the Prius PHEV. I hung around to check if the cable got warm but actually the car only reported a 4.2kW charge rate and the cable remained cool.
I was (vaguely) interested if this was a charge source limitation, the car park has lots of plugs and about half were in use, or the cable, and if the cable how the car “knew”.
Level 2 cables can be single and tri phase. It is possible the one you have for your Prius is single fase 32A being able to charge 7,2 Kw (16A and single fase = 3,6 Kw) . For 22 Kw you need tri phase and 32A.
I added a picture so you can check with the one you have.

Porsche Taycan AC charging 8B1B38EF-C234-479D-8F45-D63838C49883

Rab88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Porsche Taycan GTS
Country flag
To get 10.4kW requires 3 phase supply and to be able to use that requires an L2 rated cable otherwise the charge rate would max out at 7.4kW at best. Therefore the cable isn't at play here.
Not quite true. We've got an iPace cable in the work and If I use that my car charges at 11kW. Using my Posche cable I get the full 22kW. Both on the same 22kW 3Phase Schneider charger.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Not quite true. We've got an iPace cable in the work and If I use that my car charges at 11kW. Using my Posche cable I get the full 22kW. Both on the same 22kW 3Phase Schneider charger.
It is true.

Single phase - 7.4kW max
Triple phase - up to 22kW (19.6kW more generally)

Three phase AC supply to your Taycan will charge up to 11kW or 22 kW if you have the 22kW AC onboard option.

I have both a single phase and triple phase home options at different locations. On the latter the most I get is 10.4kW (due to overhead / losses).

By the way the Schneider is not a charger - the charger is always physically in the EV.

Both require the same cable to derive the maximum through-put. Your Taycan cable being L2 M3 (to denote 3 phase) is suitable for any and all untethered AC L2 EVSEs up to 22kW.

Rab88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Porsche Taycan GTS
Country flag
It is true.

Single phase - 7.4kW max
Triple phase - up to 22kW (19.6kW more generally)

Three phase AC supply to your Taycan will charge up to 11kW or 22 kW if you have the 22kW AC onboard option.

I have both a single phase and triple phase home options at different locations. On the latter the most I get is 10.4kW (due to overhead / losses).

By the way the Schneider is not a charger - the charger is always physically in the EV.

Both require the same cable to derive the maximum through-put. Your Taycan cable being L2 M3 (to denote 3 phase) is suitable for any and all untethered AC L2 EVSEs up to 22kW.
You said the "cable isn't at play here". If the OP has the 22kW onboard charger, a three phase supply, and a cable only capable of 11kW, then there is a situation where he will only get 11kW. It's the exact same scenario I have encountered. So it's not true to state that the cable isn't at play.

The OP needs to confirm if he has the 22kW onboard charger. If he does, the reason for it only charging at 11kW will either be the cable used or the settings on the charging point he's connected to.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
You said the "cable isn't at play here". If the OP has the 22kW onboard charger, a three phase supply, and a cable only capable of 11kW, then there is a situation where he will only get 11kW. It's the exact same scenario I have encountered. So it's not true to state that the cable isn't at play.

The OP needs to confirm if he has the 22kW onboard charger. If he does, the reason for it only charging at 11kW will either be the cable used or the settings on the charging point he's connected to.
No, I think you've read my coment out of context.

OP clearly has the standard 11kW AC onboard charger and for this reason the cable used is not relevant as he got close to 11kW. The same cable (standard 32A supplied with the Taycan) would also have delivered up to 22kW had the onboard AC charger been 22kW which we know it wasn't.

If he used a 16A cable then he would not have got 10.4kW but around half of that.

Rab88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Porsche Taycan GTS
Country flag
No, I think you've read my coment out of context.

OP clearly has the standard 11kW AC onboard charger and for this reason the cable used is not relevant as he got close to 11kW. The same cable (standard 32A supplied with the Taycan) would also have delivered up to 22kW had the onboard AC charger been 22kW which we know it wasn't.

If he used a 16A cable then he would not have got 10.4kW but around half of that.
He hasn't stated whether he has the 22Kw onboard charger or not. He stated he's getting 11kW max from his work 3-phase charging point. I'm merely pointing out there is are scenarios where he can have the 22kW on board charger, a 3-phase supply, and it only pulls 11kW. And the scenarios are the cable used (e.g from another EV) is not sufficient, or the settings on his charger are limiting it to 11kW.

Rab88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Porsche Taycan GTS
Country flag
Not on a 3 phase supply, he would get up to 11kW. On 3 phase it isn't a simple P=IV. 400v at 16a 3 phase supply will provide 11kW. Hence why you'll get 22kW on a 32a 3 phase supply.

If the cable used was a 16a 3 phase cable, he'll get 11kW.
Sponsored