Activating Smartlift ?

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I am not sure why Homelink GPS is expected as an update since it is already there in my 2020 model. When you save a new homelink it asks you if you want to be gps activated at the end of the set up.
Sponsored

TheFutre

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s (soon), Tesla Model X (me), Tesla Model 3 (wife)
Country flag
@chrisk
does your garage door open and close automatically when you arrive and leave your home?

I am not sure why Homelink GPS is expected as an update since it is already there in my 2020 model. When you save a new homelink it asks you if you want to be gps activated at the end of the set up.

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
@chrisk
does your garage door open and close automatically when you arrive and leave your home?
It is not supposed to open and close the door automatically. Closing the door automatically can result in an accident. The car has not idea if there is a person or object by the garage door.

It just brings up the homelink screen in the display so you can push the button yourself. I don't use it because I have programmed a diamond button for homelink.

Porsche Taycan Activating Smartlift ? Screen Shot 2021-01-03 at 6.35.58 PM

TheFutre

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
@chrisk
ahhh, that’s a bummer especially for us who reverse into the driveway / garage as the homelink display is useless since it’s hidden by the reverse camera screen
i use the quick button on the instrument panel already which is ok
my Tesla gps Homelink was awesome.......approach home it opens, pull out of garage and it closes, simple and flawless

It is not supposed to open and close the door automatically. Closing the door automatically can result in an accident. The car has not idea if there is a person or object by the garage door.

It just brings up the homelink screen in the display so you can push the button yourself. I don't use it because I have programmed a diamond button for homelink.

Screen Shot 2021-01-03 at 6.35.58 PM.png

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
@chrisk
ahhh, that’s a bummer especially for us who reverse into the driveway / garage as the homelink display is useless since it’s hidden by the reverse camera screen
i use the quick button on the instrument panel already which is ok
my Tesla gps Homelink was awesome.......approach home it opens, pull out of garage and it closes, simple and flawless
It gets worst if you have two garage doors programmed. Then you cannot assign a specific one to the shortcut button. The only thing the button does is to bring up the homelink screen (similar to the gps function) and then you have to click the one you want.

arijaycomet

First Name
Ari
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Porsche Taycan 4 Cross Turismo
Country flag
Mine doesn’t even bring up the HomeLink screen based on GPS location. I wish it did, since then I could reprogram the instrument diamond to be something more useful. So the update hopefully will fix this. Most of us with 2020 have HomeLink in the USA but the GPS ”auto prompt“ does not appear, at least not for me.

As @TheFutre said... in the Tesla, by default, it does what you mentioned @chrisk — as you arrive home, it pops up a dialogue to press the green name. However, in Tesla you can also auto send the signal. Since many of us approach our garage with visual, you can tap the “ignore” before it sends the signal. This works nicely, and as a Tesla owner for 6+ years, it is a feature I definitely miss.

(Having to carry a key with me, or press a button to open my garage, seem such trivial things — but you get used to these added conveniences; its like heated seats/steering wheels LOL)

TheFutre

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
youre absolutely correct, in fact I removed my 2nd garage just so I do not need to rely on the pop up screen and can execute the one garage I use with the diamond button

It gets worst if you have two garage doors programmed. Then you cannot assign a specific one to the shortcut button. The only thing the button does is to bring up the homelink screen (similar to the gps function) and then you have to click the one you want.

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
youre absolutely correct, in fact I removed my 2nd garage just so I do not need to rely on the pop up screen and can execute the one garage I use with the diamond button
Me too. I removed the second door so I can shortcut the other one. I use the remote control for the second door. I miss my previous car that had three physical buttons for homelink.
Taycan reinvented some basic features in a bad way. The other big one is not having a manual lever to pop the hood so you need to jump the fuse panel to open the hood to jump start the 12v battery...

Last edited:

NC_Taycan

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Tesla Model S P85, '17 Cayenne S, '20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
As @TheFutre said... in the Tesla, by default, it does what you mentioned @chrisk — as you arrive home, it pops up a dialogue to press the green name. However, in Tesla you can also auto send the signal. Since many of us approach our garage with visual, you can tap the “ignore” before it sends the signal. This works nicely, and as a Tesla owner for 6+ years, it is a feature I definitely miss.
The Tesla auto-activation of my garage door actually bit me once. I pulled out, the door shut just as I had programmed it to. I remembered I had left my phone. I started backing back in since after all I hadn't closed the garage door myself. Door edge was above the camera so not visible but was just low enough to rip the back spoiler off the rear hatch lid. Gave me a lousy excuse to upgrade that factory spoiler. Since then I've preferred having to manually do it - single garage door assigned to the instrument cluster button works great. If you have two garage doors, program the second one to a second Homelink location not tied to GPS. It will require extra steps to bring it up but you probably don't need to use it that often - like only when your teenager forgets to close the garage door. OK so maybe you do have to use it often...

My4S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 4S
Country flag
Have others heard rumors are that the SmartLift feature might be an OTA upgrade for 2020 MY cars? I’d really benefit from this at my place of work for my 2020 4S. Fingers crossed here!
I have a 2020 4S and had an unknown warning notice come up on my screen. From reading this post, it had to be Smartlift, so there was an OTA update. I just didn't know what it was and had the front slightly drag the pavement. Next time I'll know what to do.

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I have a 2020 4S and had an unknown warning notice come up on my screen. From reading this post, it had to be Smartlift, so there was an OTA update. I just didn't know what it was and had the front slightly drag the pavement. Next time I'll know what to do.
Very unlikely there was an OTA update about that.
Did the car ask you if you want to save the lift location when you lifted the car?

PeterL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S soon
Country flag
Does anyone know if SmartLift is available on all 2021 Taycan models? Is there a specific package/option needed?
I also would like to know if the RWD Taycan has Smart Lift. In the USA, there is no separate
option to add Smart Lift to the RWD model. The standard equipment list for the 2021 Taycan 4S mentions Smart Lift as being part of the standard "Adaptive Air Suspension incl. Porsche Active Suspension Management (PASM) with Smart Lift." What's interesting is that the "with Smart Lift" is not in the description for the adaptive air suspension option on the RWD Taycan - it only says "Adaptive Air Suspension incl. Porsche Active Suspension Management (PASM)." Is that deliberate or a building tool oversight?

The Car & Driver review of the RWD Taycan mentions "folks with steep driveways and tight garages can opt for power folding mirrors and the air suspension with its GPS-based nose-lift memory" but it's impossible to know whether they have assumed Smart Lift comes with the air suspension option on the RWD Taycan or Porsche has confirmed its inclusion with the air suspension. I spoke to a dealer today and he was very sure the omission of Smart Lift from the RWD air suspension option meant it was not included.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I imagine its a typo and a standard feature of air suspension for MY21 onwards (and perhaps retro for MY20).

In my experience if you are too quick for the GPS to trigger SmartLift you could be grounded before you know it. Ensure to program a wee distance ahead of where you need it or slow down and wait for the icon to turn blue.

I also think you need to select ‘activate SmartLift’ in vehicle settings for it to function.

Remember also that it won’t return car to normal height once activated after power off which would be nice and better still if it could be optionally selected.

It takes 2 secs to press the lift button on the binnacle so no real hardship if its not going to feature for MY20 vehicles.

F16HTON

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
992 Carrera, Taycan RWD
Country flag
no menù for that...

simply when you approach an obstacle to raise the car...you have to select car raise (exactly where you can also put down the car via air suspension )
...after done that a pop up menu ask you if you want save and memorize/remember the exact position for repeat in future this raising
after you can also view the rembered list of point

Thats it

sorry for my Italian english
Make sure you save it for both directions (coming and going).

JC Mann

First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayman S, Tesla Model S
Country flag
The Tesla auto-activation of my garage door actually bit me once. I pulled out, the door shut just as I had programmed it to. I remembered I had left my phone. I started backing back in since after all I hadn't closed the garage door myself. Door edge was above the camera so not visible but was just low enough to rip the back spoiler off the rear hatch lid. Gave me a lousy excuse to upgrade that factory spoiler. Since then I've preferred having to manually do it - single garage door assigned to the instrument cluster button works great. If you have two garage doors, program the second one to a second Homelink location not tied to GPS. It will require extra steps to bring it up but you probably don't need to use it that often - like only when your teenager forgets to close the garage door. OK so maybe you do have to use it often...
My Model S only triggers the garage if I’m approaching the garage. I do like the countdown and option to skip the signal.
Sponsored