Adding power charge port sensor to non-power door?

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
I’d like to see some proof of this. No doubt there’s an aero benefit but videos I’ve seen have said it’s very minimal.
Anyway, the powered charge port is trick and convenient and worth a few miles imo
The aero benefit of the open wheel air curtain will be real. The individual gain will depend on how many long road trips as opposed to city driving one does.

I don’t know of any credible road car aero videos on the internet, I’m afraid, so I wouldn’t believe any of them.
No idea how much the loss of blocking it is but I wouldn’t dream of ordering the electic hatch on principle - as an engineer.

I also find plugging in the charger with one hand and opening and closing the hatch with the other costs zero time since I have to be standing there anyway, just like decades of petrol flaps.

I see the electric one as a cute but pointless gadget which, if it doesn’t respond instantly to the swipe, will actually be slower and less efficient than the normal one.

OTOH cute gadgets are sometimes worth the money if they have no down side.
Sponsored

kempez

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo ST, Volvo XC90 T8
Country flag
The aero benefit of the open wheel air curtain will be real. The individual gain will depend on how many long road trips as opposed to city driving one does.

I don’t know of any credible road car aero videos on the internet, I’m afraid, so I wouldn’t believe any of them.
No idea how much the loss of blocking it is but I wouldn’t dream of ordering the electic hatch on principle - as an engineer.

I also find plugging in the charger with one hand and opening and closing the hatch with the other costs zero time since I have to be standing there anyway, just like decades of petrol flaps.

I see the electric one as a cute but pointless gadget which, if it doesn’t respond instantly to the swipe, will actually be slower and less efficient than the normal one.

OTOH cute gadgets are sometimes worth the money if they have no down side.
I’ve no doubt the air curtain would be a real thing, I’d just be interested to see how much of a real gain it would be

Understood on the principle, but the element of it being ‘trick’ is high for me and the fact it opens into the wing is a much better design than the massive flap left open for potentially long periods of time next to potential (probable), idiots in public. The auto-close feature is something I appreciate given we’ve had instants of our hybrids charging port being left flapping in the wind. I can give or take the black fins, they seem pretty extraneous design features if it wasn’t for the slightly comedy touch opening feature. A button would be much better imo. It seems to be a theme in modern car design!

ZenicaNC

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Cayenne S E-Hybrid
Country flag
I agree, from a reliability standpoint, I'd question its inclusion in a future build but then again, if I were that worried, I'd not have purchased a first generation car. What is the old addage? Don't buy a car made on a Monday or a Friday? Ha. There has to be one for the car that existed only on paper the Sunday before.

So if engineering concerns were my priority, I wouldn't have the Taycan. A moot point for me though as my CPO doesn't have it and wishes are like unicorns.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
The auto-close feature is something I appreciate given we’ve had instants of our hybrids charging port being left flapping in the wind.
Doesn't your Taycan give you a big red warning (takes up a third of instrument cluster screen) if you try to drive with a flap open?

j.w.s

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS, 2024 Rivian R1S
Country flag
My Taycan 4S that I ordered 8 months ago has finally arrived stateside and delivery is scheduled for next week. Needless to say, I am beyond excited about finally getting the car. I am trading in my Model 3 Performance and excited about the transition. I ordered Ice Grey Metallic with painted Mission E wheels, high gloss black window trim, and other trim/model options in black.

One big mistake I made was not to spec the power charging port. Did not realize the black trim pieces/sensor would not be there without this and how "naked" this would look as I had not seen other cars without this option until now.

I found the two pieces online below:

https://parts.byersporsche.com/p/por...62238BOK1.html

https://parts.byersporsche.com/p/Por...relatedProduct

My question is if I can order these and stick them on the car. Would this be pretty simple? I just want it for the aesthetics because it really changes the look of the car. Has anyone tried this before or can anyone comment on it that has the power charging port and can look at the parts up close?

Thank you
I highly doubt that you can. The
Interestingly, when we were looking to order new, before I learned of the abysmall depretation and pivoted to CPO, the saleman going over the configuration with me warned me that the electric charge door cut down on total range by 10-15 miles due to the same reasons F6L cited.
It's true! Choosing the powered charge door closes the front wheel vent and therefore eliminates the airflow from the front wheel vents along the sides of the car, harming aerodynamics and range a bit. On the other hand, that airflow down the side of the car carries dirt and debris. So you lose range but the car stays a bit cleaner and the paint stays a bit less chipped up.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Oh right. Never done that 😉
So you posit that even though you always remember to close the DC flap manually, you would forget to close the manual charge port door?

kempez

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
So you posit that even though you always remember to close the DC flap manually, you would forget to close the manual charge port door?
Hang on. I’m not quite sure what you mean. Both of the charging ports on my car auto-close once a charging cable is removed. I thought you meant the little extra flap that you have to lift with fast charging. I’ve often left the charge port open after charging and every time it closes itself.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Hang on. I’m not quite sure what you mean. Both of the charging ports on my car auto-close once a charging cable is removed. I thought you meant the little extra flap that you have to lift with fast charging. I’ve often left the charge port open after charging and every time it closes itself.
If you leave the little flap open, then my understanding is the electric port will not auto-close.

kempez

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
If you leave the little flap open, then my understanding is the electric port will not auto-close.
ah ok yeah that would make sense I guess it blocks it. I guess I’ve never left that bit open, think I just flick it with my finger, but also I mostly slow charge

ShiftyWolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2017 Audi Q5 PP
Country flag
If you leave the DC charge flap open, the electric door will close part way and then reverse back up, and make you feel stupid for your forgetfulness.

Ask me how I know.

irrelevant

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, e-tron, C7 Corvette, Piper Aerostar
Country flag
If you leave the DC charge flap open, the electric door will close part way and then reverse back up, and make you feel stupid for your forgetfulness.

Ask me how I know.
I've done this more than I care to admit. In my defense, we rarely need to DCFC.

ShiftyWolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2017 Audi Q5 PP
Country flag
Have to reprogram my brain from refilling the old ICE, where I always replaced the nozzle first and then put the gas cap back on. With the powered charge door Taycan it's shut the "cap" and THEN put the cable back. :sun:
Sponsored