Jackson

First Name
Jackson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 640d, CT4
Country flag
At first day when I picked up my car the wheel was super light to handle, but now it is like a regular handling without any additional assistance.

I presume the option of power steering has been deactivated somehow. Where can I turn it on again ? Cannot find it anywhere in the settings.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Jackson

Jackson

First Name
Jackson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 640d, CT4
Country flag
Yes, I bought it as an option.

jr1917216

First Name
John Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tycaan Porsche
Country flag
Hey Jackson,
Firstly let me know you have a Porsche car? if Porsche then this suggestion will help you so much.
My understanding is that it’s just a software upgrade that provides more assistance at parking speeds but Brian Innes - who optioned it on his Caymans - reckoned that it also provided enhanced sensitivity at higher speeds as well.

Apparently, it’s possible to activate the function via PIWIS, requiring a visit to a Porsche Dealer.
Regards
John Robert from fermont

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
At first day when I picked up my car the wheel was super light to handle, but now it is like a regular handling without any additional assistance.

I presume the option of power steering has been deactivated somehow. Where can I turn it on again ? Cannot find it anywhere in the settings.
There is no button or option to turn on or off.

Power steering is standard in all regions but you can upgrade to speed sensitive steering called Power Steering Plus (STD in US).

You can either specify at build time or upgrade OTA using Function On Demand (FOD) for a fee

OP
OP
Jackson

Jackson

First Name
Jackson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 640d, CT4
Country flag
I mean I have Power Steering Plus and don't know how to adjust it.

BigBob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4S, Range Rover Sport
Country flag
Hey Jackson,
Firstly let me know you have a Porsche car? if Porsche then this suggestion will help you so much.
My understanding is that it’s just a software upgrade that provides more assistance at parking speeds but Brian Innes - who optioned it on his Caymans - reckoned that it also provided enhanced sensitivity at higher speeds as well.

Apparently, it’s possible to activate the function via PIWIS, requiring a visit to a Porsche Dealer.
Regards
John Robert from fermont
It is a Porsche Taycan forum.....:)

WuffvonTrips

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT
Country flag
If it wasn't a Taycan, I'd rule out a software glitch...but hopefully it's just a different set of circumstances from your original experience. You should only really notice PSP at very low speeds- parking, pulling out of junctions etc. Are you now doing that on very different surfaces from originally? Another possibility...have your tyre pressures changed and are they still in range?

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
If it wasn't a Taycan, I'd rule out a software glitch...but hopefully it's just a different set of circumstances from your original experience. You should only really notice PSP at very low speeds- parking, pulling out of junctions etc. Are you now doing that on very different surfaces from originally? Another possibility...have your tyre pressures changed and are they still in range?
You will most definitely notice at speed also - steering has more resistance (speed sensitive).

WuffvonTrips

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT
Country flag
You will most definitely notice at speed also - steering has more resistance (speed sensitive).
Well yes, with PSP the assistance diminishes with speed- but I'd expect (admittedly without the benefit of experience of both options ? ) that, at higher speeds, the difference between PS and PSP will be subtle to the point of only being detectable under controlled comparison on a track.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Well yes, with PSP the assistance diminishes with speed- but I'd expect (admittedly without the benefit of experience of both options ? ) that, at higher speeds, the difference between PS and PSP will be subtle to the point of only being detectable under controlled comparison on a track.
No that's not correct. Actually, it applies more resistance at speed
and less at low speed offering up more assistance and is decidedly different to standard power steering.

Has been a a feature on Porsches for decades.

It is 100% noticeable in daily use.

Less guessing and more practical hands-on experience would aid your understanding here.

WuffvonTrips

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT
Country flag
No that's not correct. Actually, it applies more resistance at speed
and less at low speed offering up more assistance and is decidedly different to standard power steering.

Has been a a feature on Porsches for decades.

It is 100% noticeable in daily use.

Less guessing and more practical hands-on experience would aid your understanding here.
Hands on with Cayennes with and without and I didn't notice a difference at speed. Only tried Taycans with it so can't say, but...
Porsche's own descriptions of PSP only tell me that it has a better steering feel at higher speeds than it does at lower speeds, not that that is superior to non-PSP in that respect. I struggle to believe that Porsche would make the standard steering suboptimal for performance driving. As it's already switchable on demand, would be good if it could be toggled off by the driver to enable a scientific comparison at all speeds.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
100 percent correct and clearly articulated by Porsche. Do a little research and you’ll discover it.

i think you’re misinterpreting the statement that it ‘firms up steering at higher speeds’. Which it does by turning off the extra assist and allowing it to have similar firmness to the standard steering. I’ve had it on multiple cars and I’ve read the Porsche specs. Been discussed ad nauseum on Rennlist and Planet 9.

Porsche USA website - Speed sensitive power steering that reduces the effort at low speeds.
I agree to disagree and have had 30 years of daily usage

Porsche Taycan How to activate power steering plus? Screenshot_20220203-183852_Chrome
Sponsored