Adding power charge port sensor to non-power door?

gusone

First Name
gus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW Series 3 XDRIVE M SPORT
Country flag
the electric door is amazing because it also closes automatically when you unplug it.
I have driven off with the manual charge door still open multiple times. Thankfully the instrument cluster lights up like an Xmas tree informing me of my stupidity.
Sponsored

Jayyvr890

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I'm almost 100% sure I've seen 'fake" power charger door sensor and trim for sale online thats just glue on plastic pieces with 3M tape. No sensor or wires.

I'll let you know if I find it but maybe look on ebay?

mcdermottm

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MB EQE SUV 350+, ‘23 Taycan RWD coming soon
Country flag
It may be better to find someone who is handy with a 3D printer and have them custom made without the wires or drilling holes. You could even customize the size a little or add little details that the real ones don’t have. Something without the “wing” would achieve the same look.

JDNEPA

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Porsche Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
Personally - I don't know that it changes the athestetic that much without it. I think the clean look is pretty sweet. I have the power doors and they're cool but I rarely look at my car and it never occurred to me that these make the lines of it. ...to each their own and if this is important, but I personally would embrace without it and see what you think after a few weeks of ownership.

....I suspect you'll ultimately end up loving it and this will end up trivial item that you'll forget about. If you're still hard up about the aesthetic, I'd look at options after those first few weeks, possibly with the dealer. My 2 cents.....

FLT6LVR

First Name
N
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 911S
Country flag
I am floored that anyone thinks a cheap black plastic sensor adds something to the sensuous lines of the Taycan. I think the sensor is literally the most unattractive part of the car (when equipped).

The power doors will surely be a nightmare as the car ages. We’re talking about a company that still can’t make a decent sunroof or window regulator. After 20+ years of retractable spoilers the 991s was still a crap design.

F6L

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag
Everyone has their opinion but for me its functional and looks sharp on the car so I get where you are coming from - but if I were to consider a retrofit I'd have to go OEM which I suspect may not be worth the cost but again an entirely personal choice and if the lack of this feature bugs the heck out of you just go for it!

Porsche Taycan Adding power charge port sensor to non-power door? Screenshot 2022-11-23 at 8.25.02 AM

I actually have the underside of mine painted gloss black to match numerous other paint upgrades:

Porsche Taycan Adding power charge port sensor to non-power door? IMG_5594

Last edited:

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I am floored that anyone thinks a cheap black plastic sensor adds something to the sensuous lines of the Taycan. I think the sensor is literally the most unattractive part of the car (when equipped).

The power doors will surely be a nightmare as the car ages. We’re talking about a company that still can’t make a decent sunroof or window regulator. After 20+ years of retractable spoilers the 991s was still a crap design.

F6L
So it’s a lot of extra reliability risk putting a simple electric feature on a car where literally every single functional system is an electrically driven feature? :CWL:

That’s where you draw the line? The power port door?

blame.latitude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura MDX, GTS ST
Country flag
No one seems to address if you could actually retrofit a power charge port. I mean anything can be done with money and time but it's definitely more trouble than it's worth.

The door is a different size, which would mean replacing the fenders. It's not just the size of the door, the manual door fender has an aero vent behind that fender. The power door fills that in aero to make room for the door motor. I eventually spec'd the power door on my GTS ST because many people complain about the aero hole throwing mud and rocks all over the paintwork. Also concerns about my kids or careless shoppers breaking off my manual door.

If you want to put on a sticker to get the 'look' of the sensor on your manual door, I can't stop you. But I mean, let's real-talk here. Generally, any ebay mod that leverages double sided tape puts you squarely in ricer territory. It's a slippery slope. It starts with a sensor, so subtle, i know... no one will know ... Then it's a fake vent... next thing you know....

Porsche Taycan Adding power charge port sensor to non-power door? bedazzled-car1

johnarpy

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
I'll be honest. I had a 2022 Taycan RWD and it got 300 miles on a charge. This was partially because of the manual charge door which allowed the air flow though the wheel well. Now I have a 2022 Turbo S and I only get 250 miles, which is partially caused by the electric charger doors. I miss the RWD, but I love the Turbo S. As in life, you give little and you take a little.

FLT6LVR

First Name
N
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 911S
Country flag
So it’s a lot of extra reliability risk putting a simple electric feature on a car where literally every single functional system is an electrically driven feature? :CWL:

That’s where you draw the line? The power port door?
Yup. Porsche and doors/sunroofs/windows always seem to end in disaster. Plus the charging doors are quite important for the operation of the vehicle (unlike a sunroof or window)

F6L

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I'll be honest. I had a 2022 Taycan RWD and it got 300 miles on a charge. This was partially because of the manual charge door which allowed the air flow though the wheel well. Now I have a 2022 Turbo S and I only get 250 miles, which is partially caused by the electric charger doors. I miss the RWD, but I love the Turbo S. As in life, you give little and you take a little.
You think the power door costs you 50 miles of range? :CWL:

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Plus the charging doors are quite important for the operation of the vehicle (unlike a sunroof or window)
Or things like the throttle, braking, traction and stability control systems? :CWL: You’re fine with all of them being electronically controlled, but you draw that line at the power door….

Do you secretly wish for hand crank windows?

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
You think the power door costs you 50 miles of range? :CWL:
He said “partially”. Granted it’s likely a small factor and there are likely other more significant contributing reasons, but let’s not take what was said out of context.

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
Or things like the throttle, braking, traction and stability control systems? :CWL: You’re fine with all of them being electronically controlled, but you draw that line at the power door….
I would expect throttle and braking to have different reliability requirements compared to the powered charge port door. But I’m not an expert on automotive safety regulations.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
You are right. I spec’d it too but for the opposite reason that you did….

It’s great that we can have such differing views on the same things. It’s what makes the forum interesting.
Let me throw in yet a different view then. When closed, I prefer the clean look of the manual port. When open, powered port looks better. I prefer the size of the powered port. I prefer to have the air-scarf vent functional (powered port blocks it completely, turning it into a fake decoration vent only). Bottom line, I did not option it.
Sponsored

Last edited: