All weather charging

Gordy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Hi,

Getting prepared for my Taycan delivery – ETA end of November and my 1st EV.

I went for an untethered Pod-Point as my Home Charger due to their popularity in the UK and most recent Audi relationship which I think would be good for the Taycan also with Porsche sharing the Audi tech in many places. As the cable for my drive to charger needs to be around 10m I couldn’t get a Tethered charger or the Anderson one as they are limited to 7.5m.

My car will be parked outside in the driveway not in the garage (it’s too small), for those of you charging outside are you leaving cables outside in all weathers? Bearing in mind as we enter into Autumn then Winter with plenty of rain and snow in Scotland how much of pain does the cable getting dirty and then placing your hands on steering wheel etc. and logistics of it being outside become a pain for those of you who are experienced EV drivers.

For those of you using untethered do you keep the cable outside and plugged into the charger or are you putting away each day in your boot or garage etc?

I was planning on just keeping my cable plugged into the charger outside and treating it like a tethered cable – I’m not concerned of anyone stealing the cable as I live in a quiet neighbourhood, but I’m a little concerned of how it will hold up to the Scottish winter.

Any thoughts?
Sponsored

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo (sold), Mini Cooper SE, Mercedes Sprinter RV, BMW K1600GT
Country flag
All of our cables in the US are tethered.

As long as your cable/charging station rates it for outdoor use, it should be fine.

My ChargePoint charging station is outside. It is rated for snow and rain. No problem.

I’ve never really had an issue with transferring rain/snow/dirt into the car. I guess it happens. But it’s not something I’ve ever noticed. I guess if it’s snowing I’m already covered in snow as I’ve probably just been scraping ice and snow off the car.

SAFETY TIP: Clear the whole back of the car, especially the back window BEFORE you open the trunk. Or you will end up with a trunk full of the snow that slides down off the window.

jetbox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
Country flag
No winter experience yet but I think you will be fine. will You need to charge every day!

Gogs

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, 911 4S, Range Rover Sport Hybrid, Range Rover Vouge
Country flag
Good tip for rear windscreen with snow. Happens when I dry the car after washing, water passes and drips into my freshly hoovered boot!! Not good if a ton of snow got in there!

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo (sold), Mini Cooper SE, Mercedes Sprinter RV, BMW K1600GT
Country flag
Good tip for rear windscreen with snow. Happens when I dry the car after washing, water passes and drips into my freshly hoovered boot!! Not good if a ton of snow got in there!
It’s hilarious... the second time. Because “dammit, I knew that was gonna happen... because it happened before.”

It’s especially funny when you’ve pre-conditioned the car. And turned on the rear-window defroster. So now there’s a thin layer of melted snow on the glass. But the frozen snow on the trunk is holding it there... then you pop the trunk open... because your snowbrush is in there...and the inch of snowpack on your back window slides gracefully downward... into the now-open trunk.

Face-palm.

Gogs

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, 911 4S, Range Rover Sport Hybrid, Range Rover Vouge
Country flag
It’s hilarious... the second time. Because “dammit, I knew that was gonna happen... because it happened before.”

It’s especially funny when you’ve pre-conditioned the car. And turned on the rear-window defroster. So now there’s a thin layer of melted snow on the glass. But the frozen snow on the trunk is holding it there... then you pop the trunk open... because your snowbrush is in there...and the inch of snowpack on your back window slides gracefully downward... into the now-open trunk.

Face-palm.
Haha, bet this is going to happen to me! I just know it!

Dlurker20

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Acura MDX, Mini Cooper
Country flag
Haha, bet this is going to happen to me! I just know it!
That story is 100% me. Where else would you keep the brush? The next 3 times I do it I’d curse my own stupidity too!

Squarecircle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4s +
Country flag
I put my cable in the boot, mainly as the charger point end does not lock so there is nothing stopping someone stealing the cable if I don't take it with me.

It's currently out in the rain and I don't see it being an issue.

Water and the boot is a pain, gets me every time I clean the car.

Persuader

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4s, Range Rover Sport, Jaguar F-Type, Renault Kangoo
Country flag
I keep my cable in the frunk.

OP
OP

Gordy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
From researching a little more on this it seems the plan is:

- Get some gloves to use and handle the cable :) (in winter)

- Keep the plug end pointed downwards when wrapping around charger to avoid excess water getting in - differing opinions on whether to put the cap on the cable or not as they can collate water. If i had a shorter cable say 5m I would put it in the Frunk, but with a 10M one due to the length I need that will be a bit of a hassle every day (other day) - but will see.

- I'm intrigued come frost and ice how often is the cable going to get stuck in the car's charging port (every car I've had the last 10 years where I currently live - X5, 911, 2x Cayenne's doors all get frozen during winter and won't open without some de-icer and in some severe freezing, some warm water too - though that is avoided where possible) I'm expecting this to be worse in the Taycan with the flush door handles not opening - but will see.
Sponsored