What’s your Taycan's winter / cold weather range?

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
Coasting on the motorway is probably more effective than deploying recuperation once you have sufficient momentum.

Did you experiment with Range drive mode?
I only used recuperation whilst the car was using the disc brakes on the basis that a bit of recharge was better than a minute bit of pad wear and loss via heat ;) as soon as recuperation using the brake pedal was authorised I didn’t use it again, so that was the whole motorway stretch.
I didn’t use range or sport modes at all, just normal.
Sponsored

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I've found that depending on how much demisting is required then inevitably I need to revert to normal AC to clear but Eco works out fine in general.
I just used the demist soft key and it worked quickly the one time I tried it, probably only needed a minute or so the switched it off.

OP
OP
smartymarti

smartymarti

First Name
Marti
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4s cross turismo
Country flag
anyones range shoot ups with the sudden temperature change , I’m nearly 45 better off it’s crazy

Stewartt997

First Name
Stewart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan ST4S
Country flag
Yes, my 9 mile journey to work was using 10% battery with a 5 minute pre-heat up until yesterday. It's now improved to 5%. I appreciate it's only a short journey, but that's a 50% difference and over the last 2weeks I have observed a range drop of around 30-40%!

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
My Taycan has shown to be so inefficient for short journeys in very cold weather that I have reverted to our plug in Prius for journeys of 10 miles and less.

Hanny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S Carmine Red
Country flag
Currently run x2 EV’s, one large, one small, both completely different in terms of battery size, weight etc. What is common between them both is the outside temp and reduction of range, yes you can ‘play’ around with reducing system usage, journey type etc but it’s just simply fact that there will always be a reduction in predicted mileage and will be near impossible to get an exact range to depend on ands that’s not specifically restrict to just EV’s.

How ever, one thing I am definitely looking forward to with my future Taycan is from many forums, press feedback etc. is that the Taycan range prediction is between ‘true’ and conservative which will be a great change to the ever ‘wishful’ prediction that I get with Tesla which really gets eye opening with diff of predictive range and actual during the colder seasons.

Throb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi R8 V10, Taycan GTS ST, BMW 330e, MB C-Class
Country flag
Yeah, to be fair to the Taycan, in cold weather the computer predicts poor range at 100%, and on that front it delivers.

Poshfpg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S ID3
Country flag
Interesting note on the range prediction. I was in a ski resort the other day, car at 63% and predicting 190kms pottering about. Went to leave and put my destination in the nav and the range instantly jumped to 248kms as it knew it was going downhill for a big stretch. The topography and temperature adjustments have been absolutely nailed on so far. From 110kms away it told me I'd arrive with 46% climbing from 350m to 1900m and I did, exactly on 46%.

We have both been hugely impressed with the range accuracy once you're using the nav. The key thing is we feel we can trust it now and that's all that matters in my view. We put 1,800kms on it in 5 days which has been really useful for understanding how it all works.

For anyone heading to the French Alps there is a brand new Tesla Supercharger station in Albertville open to non Tesla. It opened last week so isn't even on Google Maps yet, we happened on it via the Tesla app. 16 x 250kw chargers in a massive shopping centre car park next to the motorway. Perfect for plugging in and popping to Super U or Decathlon which are next to it.

As an aside on the drive down from that resort I used 2% for the first 51kms which equates to 19mi/kwh!

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT MY22
Country flag
I'm really hoping tomorrows run from Hertfordshire to Glasgow early doors will be less painful now temps are back up. I was even looking at when the new Panamera hybrid is released!

Rather frustrating to see that all the Porsche garages en route are closed tomorrow. Wpuld have been way better than bloody ionity ones.

Throb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I'm really hoping tomorrows run from Hertfordshire to Glasgow early doors will be less painful now temps are back up. I was even looking at when the new Panamera hybrid is released!

Rather frustrating to see that all the Porsche garages en route are closed tomorrow. Wpuld have been way better than bloody ionity ones.
Why the negativity towards Ionity? I've only ever had good experiences at Ionity (apart from the Folkestone Ionity). Super fast and reliable. Plug & Charge has worked every time, also.

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Why the negativity towards Ionity? I've only ever had good experiences at Ionity (apart from the Folkestone Ionity). Super fast and reliable. Plug & Charge has worked every time, also.
It is a bit disconcerting, I was hoping to use them.

None anywhere near me, otherwise they would be a good bet, cheaper than home leccy for the time being, but so far also none on any route I have taken.

I was hoping to used Stafford, Gretna and Perth on my way to the North-East next time.

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
I was hoping to used Stafford, Gretna and Perth on my way to the North-East next time.
All three are great. Gretna Green is a busy one, they could do with more pedestal's but the queuing there is disciplined.

Stafford

Porsche Taycan What’s your Taycan's winter / cold weather range? IMG_0260

Gretna Green

Porsche Taycan What’s your Taycan's winter / cold weather range? IMG_5861

Perth

Porsche Taycan What’s your Taycan's winter / cold weather range? IMG_6134

Throb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
It is a bit disconcerting, I was hoping to use them.

None anywhere near me, otherwise they would be a good bet, cheaper than home leccy for the time being, but so far also none on any route I have taken.

I can only speak from my own experience, but Ionity chargers are great. I've used several in mainland Europe, and Cambridge and Folkestone in the UK. I'm going to post a trip report (when I get chance) for my drive to the UK on Thursday evening from Holland to Leeds (using a Belgian Ionity and Cambridge Ionity). Both were superb, giving peak power around 265 kW. The Cambridge one was too quick for us if anything, as we barely had time to go to the toilets!

OP
OP
smartymarti

smartymarti

First Name
Marti
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4s cross turismo
Country flag
my personal opinion is leeds Skelton lakes used 4/5 times and won’t use again there turd, weatherby just buy the road is 10x better

Throb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
All three are great. Gretna Green is a busy one, they could do with more pedestal's but the queuing there is disciplined.

Stafford

IMG_0260.jpeg

Gretna Green

IMG_5861.jpeg

Perth

IMG_6134.jpeg
They're building a new site at Carlisle, which should help with Gretna being busy.

In case you didn't know about it (you probably did), there's this webpage which is frequently updated showing which Ionity sites have started construction. It changes on a regular basis, and there has been a sudden increase in the number of sites starting construction in the UK.

united-kingdom

https://ionity.ev-info.eu/constructions