What’s your Taycan's winter / cold weather range?

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT MY22
Country flag
My neg is that they often run very slow (50-70) where I need them.
Leeds Skelton and Cobham especially.
Stafford patchy (today was 220 last week 50)

Agree all EU ones I've used have been awesome.

At least some other options now with Electric Highway/ Fast Ned / Porsche.

Throb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi R8 V10, Taycan GTS ST, BMW 330e, MB C-Class
Country flag
My neg is that they often run very slow (50-70) where I need them.
Leeds Skelton and Cobham especially.
Stafford patchy (today was 220 last week 50)

Agree all EU ones I've used have been awesome.

At least some other options now with Electric Highway/ Fast Ned / Porsche.
Are you using them with a pre-heated battery and low state of charge?

Poshfpg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S ID3
Country flag
Looking at the IONITY map for Ireland I can see a certain logic to where they are and why they’re not rushing to build more. That said you feel putting some east and west of Cork or near the tunnel to cover both and around Limerick would really help.

A friend’s wife spent 6 hours queueing at IONITY Cashel with young kids in the back in their new Mach E recently as she didn’t know if she could reach the 150kw charger(s) in Portlaoise or IONITY Killl. As did loads of other EV drivers heading to/ from Cork-Dublin it seems. Ireland needs a better spread as Cashel is it for heading to/from SW Ireland. Your point on ESB seems valid they need to up their game.

It was striking as we drove through France recently skipping from one IONITY to another, pulling 240-260 every time, how easy it should be. We passed loads of 300/350kw chargers too and not just IONITY. Lidl, Fastned, Engie and so on were all at services or less than 1km from the autoroute. Once you know pretty much every services has high speed chargers you don’t get queues.

i sense driving to Kerry from London in May won’t be quite as seamless as London to the Alps.

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
A friend’s wife spent 6 hours queueing at IONITY Cashel
The layout of that staton is a disaster. A combination of it being in a service station car park that is too small for the traffic and positioning of the stations – means its frequently blocked by non-EVs. The chargers themselves are reliable – but getting to them is not.

she didn’t know if she could reach the 150kw charger(s) in Portlaoise
Though the charging hardware at Portlaoise is 150 kW – its been limited to 50 kW since installation due to a local grid issue that is showing no sign of being fixed.

i sense driving to Kerry from London in May won’t be quite as seamless as London to the Alps.
As someone who is originally from Kerry, can attest it will not. Its doable – but just not as comfortable – as you say – as the continent.

The new 2-stall Tesla supercharging station in Tralee will help a lot if/when Tesla opens up the network in Ireland to all EVs.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT MY22
Country flag
Are you using them with a pre-heated battery and low state of charge?
Yup. Every time. It's often correlated with how busy the charger is but not always. The only place I consistently see the speed follow the ideal charging curvein UK is Porsche charging points.

captainlk

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Have done a bunch of long trips over the xmas period and consumption has ranged from 2.2-2.4mi/kwh, which gives a full range of 190-210 miles in temperatures generally between 5-10 degrees. For short trips consumption is much worse but it also doesn't really matter for those.

It's a new car so it's my first long trip in an EV and I'm happy. Long trips are perfectly doable with a bit of planning, the range estimate seems pretty accurate, and I found I could manage the range through driving style if needed - following SUVs if I needed to be conscious of range seemed effective for example.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Have done a bunch of long trips over the xmas period and consumption has ranged from 2.2-2.4mi/kwh, which gives a full range of 190-210 miles in temperatures generally between 5-10 degrees. For short trips consumption is much worse but it also doesn't really matter for those.

It's a new car so it's my first long trip in an EV and I'm happy. Long trips are perfectly doable with a bit of planning, the range estimate seems pretty accurate, and I found I could manage the range through driving style if needed - following SUVs if I needed to be conscious of range seemed effective for example.
These are normal numbers for UK. Just enjoy the ride!

simonc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4
Country flag
I'm really hoping tomorrows run from Hertfordshire to Glasgow early doors will be less painful now temps are back up. I was even looking at when the new Panamera hybrid is released!

Rather frustrating to see that all the Porsche garages en route are closed tomorrow. Would have been way better than bloody ionity ones.
Probably a bit late now, but if PC South Lakes was included in the ones you thought were closed, it is worth noting that the two 350kW chargers are actually situated outside of the gates/bollards so they are accessible even when the centre itself is closed.

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag
Looking at the IONITY map for Ireland I can see a certain logic to where they are and why they’re not rushing to build more. That said you feel putting some east and west of Cork or near the tunnel to cover both and around Limerick would really help.

A friend’s wife spent 6 hours queueing at IONITY Cashel with young kids in the back in their new Mach E recently as she didn’t know if she could reach the 150kw charger(s) in Portlaoise or IONITY Killl. As did loads of other EV drivers heading to/ from Cork-Dublin it seems. Ireland needs a better spread as Cashel is it for heading to/from SW Ireland. Your point on ESB seems valid they need to up their game.

It was striking as we drove through France recently skipping from one IONITY to another, pulling 240-260 every time, how easy it should be. We passed loads of 300/350kw chargers too and not just IONITY. Lidl, Fastned, Engie and so on were all at services or less than 1km from the autoroute. Once you know pretty much every services has high speed chargers you don’t get queues.

If the queue is 6 hours it might have been possible to look for a local 22 Kw charger and use that one. Horrible scenario. Problem for us is that cars like Ipace and Mach E have a low charging speed and need much longer to charge.

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag
This is what I had driving to Austria. The first is in Belgium with speeds around 120 m-130 Km/h. Second in Germany 130-150 Km/h where possible. Ten degrees outside 20 inch winter wheels and no roof box.

When looking at my own data: when driving back next weekend I will keep it around 130 km/h should be better on te range.

Porsche Taycan What’s your Taycan's winter / cold weather range? 1F6D3E06-6B92-4731-9548-830A9ECE9E1A

Porsche Taycan What’s your Taycan's winter / cold weather range? 611CDC9E-55F3-4563-BFD2-D09BB9D11324

Valen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Eva Ribelle RS
Country flag
On top of outside temperature, rain is also a range killer as the road resistance is greater.
Noticed that on all my EV.

Also short winter rides aren't range friendly because the initial energy needed to heat up the battery/cabin and power everything isn't "merged" with distance.

All in all the winter range loss isn't that bad compared to other brands where you can easily take 25% range hit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT MY22
Country flag
Probably a bit late now, but if PC South Lakes was included in the ones you thought were closed, it is worth noting that the two 350kW chargers are actually situated outside of the gates/bollards so they are accessible even when the centre itself is closed.
Thanks yea I’ve figured that one even though when you call and ask they say it’s closed out of hours. Great charger nice views. If it’s busy you can fall back to burton in Kendal. Although those seem plagued with slow charging cars blocking everything.

Throb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi R8 V10, Taycan GTS ST, BMW 330e, MB C-Class
Country flag
Considering the charging cables were ripped out and stolen at the OPC Leeds (which are behind a locked gate), I'll be amazed if other dealerships would consider installing chargers that were publicly accessible going forward.

WRC_1S

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan RWD, 1969 911t
Country flag
5 months old 7000 miles done MY22 RWD PB+ 20” Rims. Live in NE England. Best 100% charge 280 miles in August, now 230 miles 100% charge.
Sponsored