Alternative phone charger

rb33gl

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan, Audi A3 TFSIe Hybrid, Porsche 964 (gone..)
Country flag
I love the interior of the Taycan, but it's not particularly practical. The shelf under the lower screen is pretty useless, as is wrestling with the armrest storage. Neither are good places to store my iphone.

Porsche (and Saab) used to do some great cupholders, but I'm not keen on them dominating the interior as they do on the Taycan. I don't use them that much either!

So I thought would one of them be better used as a phone holder/charger? My mod is shown in the attached - a weighted plastic cup with a satnav pad glued to the top, coupled with an ESR magsafe charger, wired back to the 12v charge point in the armrest. It holds my non-magsafe phone case iphone 12 perfectly, and it's easy to remove it when I'm getting out of the car. It's also very easy to remove and involves nothing attached to the car.

Any ideas to improve it?

Porsche Taycan Alternative phone charger IMG_0001a

Porsche Taycan Alternative phone charger IMG_4805a

Porsche Taycan Alternative phone charger IMG_4808a

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I love the interior of the Taycan, but it's not particularly practical. The shelf under the lower screen is pretty useless, as is wrestling with the armrest storage. Neither are good places to store my iphone.

Porsche (and Saab) used to do some great cupholders, but I'm not keen on them dominating the interior as they do on the Taycan. I don't use them that much either!

So I thought would one of them be better used as a phone holder/charger? My mod is shown in the attached - a weighted plastic cup with a satnav pad glued to the top, coupled with an ESR magsafe charger, wired back to the 12v charge point in the armrest. It holds my non-magsafe phone case iphone 12 perfectly, and it's easy to remove it when I'm getting out of the car. It's also very easy to remove and involves nothing attached to the car.

Any ideas to improve it?

IMG_0001a.jpg

IMG_4805a.jpg

IMG_4808a.jpg
Novel approach.

What is wrong with stowing in the armrest in the QI wireless charger given you can see all you need from the phone on the PCM display?

Note also that with the laws are changing (hefty fines and 6 penalty points) you really don't want to be caught using your phone whilst in the car (cameras can pick this up) - hands free only (except when using a drive-thru to make payment).

OP
OP
rb33gl

rb33gl

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Novel approach.

What is wrong with stowing in the armrest in the QI wireless charger given you can see all you need from the phone on the PCM display?

Note also that with the laws are changing (hefty fines and 6 penalty points) you really don't want to be caught using your phone whilst in the car (cameras can pick this up) - hands free only (except when using a drive-thru to make payment).
Getting it into the armrest charger is a very convoluted process - it's virtually inaccessible to me when I'm in the driver's seat. I'm not as flexible as I used to be!

I'm also very aware of the changes to the usage laws in the UK. I'm not using the phone in its new position, as I'll use hands free/PCM. It's just a place to hold and charge it. I think it looks better than the clip that some are using along the side of the lower screen.

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
Novel approach.

As most have experienced, including myself, they console charger rapidly heats up the phone to the point where it overheats.
OP: what's wrong with putting the phone in the cupholder? I do when I'm charging via the rear seat ports. If not charging - phone stays in my pockets. (carplay)

OP
OP
rb33gl

rb33gl

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
OP: what's wrong with putting the phone in the cupholder? I do when I'm charging via the rear seat ports. If not charging - phone stays in my pockets. (carplay)
Nothing wrong with putting it in the cup holder, but it won’t charge

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
As most have experienced, including myself, they console charger rapidly heats up the phone to the point where it overheats.
Android doesn't overheat or shutdown ;)

TayFan

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S, Audi A7, Mercedes ML350
Country flag

Any ideas to improve it?

IMG_0001a.jpg

IMG_4805a.jpg

IMG_4808a.jpg
Personally I love the Pro Clip cell holder for the Taycan - https://www.proclipusa.com/vehicle/dashboard-mounts/porsche-taycan/2022

Tsingtao

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toucan RWD
Country flag

Any ideas to improve it?

IMG_0001a.jpg

IMG_4805a.jpg

IMG_4808a.jpg
Porsche Taycan Alternative phone charger 1637949313877
Porsche Taycan Alternative phone charger 1637949338652

Your sliding iPhone solution is great. I however took the Occam's razor route and "engineered" an incredibly quick, easy, and almost free, solution. Just sliced a couple pieces of velcro, stuck one on the Taycan thingamabob on the center console and the other on the lid of the ash tray. I then stuck a small piece of "female" velcro on the back of the iPhone. I can now either secure the iPhone flat, as in your pic, or use the lid of the ash tray as an easel. What remains to be seen is whether the velcro I stuck on the back of the iPhone will interfere with wireless charging. (Due to the chip shortage, Porsche sent me my ride with no wireless charging. I may have to resort to your method if velcro and wireless charging are incompatible -- perhaps Porsche will one day send over some chips and allow me to find out.)

OP
OP
rb33gl

rb33gl

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I think this highlights the poor design Porsche have come up with to hold and charge a phone. People are finding their own solutions. The armrest just isn’t that accessible.