Annoying sound with AC on

osch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Some times with the AC on there is a sound coming from the firewall somewhere that sounds like a servo motor regulating itself. I can hear this from within the car while driving and when it appears it stays for a long time.

Here is a clip of it happening, recorded under the hood of the car.

This is the origin of the sound

Porsche Taycan Annoying sound with AC on IMG_1409

I was in for the software update campaign today and asked a technician, but i got some BS answer that the car had a lot of coolant lines and it constantly regulated coolant flow etc. etc.

Has anyone else experienced this sound?

Edit: The sound is only there when The AC is on. If i turn off AC and it is only set to heat the sound disappears.

Edit2: I told the dealer about this and got to try another car with the exact same sound. They said it is not an issue. I am not convinced this part will last 5-years with this kind of erratic behaviour.
Sponsored

Last edited:

PanameraFrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Nope, that's definitely not normal. My AC/heat works silently and perfectly, the best system I've had in a car.

Fitzban

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Nope, that's definitely not normal. My AC/heat works silently and perfectly, the best system I've had in a car.
Agree with Frank that the noise isn't normal. I don't hear that in my vehicle. I have my A/C set to ECO mode.

OP
OP

osch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Agree with Frank that the noise isn't normal. I don't hear that in my vehicle. I have my A/C set to ECO mode.
Good to hear. I will ask a tech to check it the next time i'm there.

WES

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan TS, Cayman S, BYD EV, Buick Van, Toyota Van
Country flag
is it related to having the heat pump or not?

OP
OP

osch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
is it related to having the heat pump or not?
I just found out that the sound is only there with the AC on. I do have the heat pump, but not sure if it is related. I asked on a norwegian facebook group and no one has the same sound, and all of them should have the heat pump option.

Smitz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan Turbo, 2020 Tesla Model S
Country flag
I have the exact same issue with my 2020 Taycan Turbo. I took it into the dealership and they said that they hear the same sound on other Taycans so it's normal. I call BS. I'm planning on taking it to another dealership. It absolutely comes from the location in the picture above. I would think that they would just swap out that box to remedy the problem. It's super annoying.

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS Etron GT, Jaguar I-Pace, BMW i8, ex Taycan TTS
Country flag
I have the sound too, and sadly I heard it in the 4s loaner, so its common in all of them. I had pointed the same thing out myself, and they were going to look into it, until I heard it in the 4S.

So sadly its either a “global fail” or a “feature.”

OP
OP

osch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I have the sound too, and sadly I heard it in the 4s loaner, so its common in all of them. I had pointed the same thing out myself, and they were going to look into it, until I heard it in the 4S.

So sadly its either a “global fail” or a “feature.”
Yeah after i made this post i told the dealer and got to try another car with the exact same sound. They therefore said it is not an issue.
I can just imagine this part failing just after warranty because it sounds like it is adjusting something mechanical way too often. I guess we will have to wait and see. For now i just try to ignore it.

Smitz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Wonderful. It reminds me of the sound of bad springs on a 1986 Buick Skylark ? I guess I'll just try to put up with it. My buddy just got a 4S and he has no sound. So while it's probably common, it's not universal. His is a 2021 though. I wonder if maybe they addressed it on newer production cars.

OP
OP

osch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Wonderful. It reminds me of the sound of bad springs on a 1986 Buick Skylark ? I guess I'll just try to put up with it. My buddy just got a 4S and he has no sound. So while it's probably common, it's not universal. His is a 2021 though. I wonder if maybe they addressed it on newer production cars.
Interesting, they might have changed something.
When I asked on the norwegian facebook group in august no one out of like 6 people had heard this sound, but it is not that loud inside the car so for example my dad barely noticed it and only when I pointed it out to him.

Smitz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I think sometimes it's louder than others for me. Either way I suppose it's a minor annoyance that hopefully will eventually be fixed once enough people bring it to their attention.

slmckr

First Name
selim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
taycan 4s
Country flag
I have the exact same sound from my 4s . I used to own a turbo s and didnt hear that from that car. Did anyone find a solution for this sound?

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
Some times with the AC on there is a sound coming from the firewall somewhere that sounds like a servo motor regulating itself. I can hear this from within the car while driving and when it appears it stays for a long time.
To me it sounds like the coolant in the AC. Is it so noticeable? Is this always there? Replace coolant might fix it?
Sponsored