Another 4S configuration to review

makados

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 BMW X5 45e, 2022 Porsche Taycan 4S
Country flag
Hi, I've lurked on the forum for couple weeks now, read a lot of threads about various options and configurations, and wanted to ask for the community advice on my configuration, that is supposed to lock in about two weeks. We have a hybrid X5 that is a family car, so it will be used for all trips where we need to carry a lot of baggage, like beach trips with a toddler, camping, Tahoe trips, etc. Taycan is going to be a daily driver for me, to commute to work (freeway miles with traffic with regular city streets), local driving, maybe some backroads driving in the mountains for fun, and occasional trips to Napa, Carmel, that are not too far (100 miles one way maybe) and don't require taking a lot of stuff with us.

Here is a full build: http://www.porsche-code.com/PN1NQU20

The options I don't have confidence and would love some advice are:

1) PDCC (that brings in PTV+). I'm not sure whether PDCC is actually worth the money. I test drove Turbo that the performance package, and loved the feel of turning like on rails, and the feel of the car. But I didn't drive it really fast, so not sure which option actually contributed the most to that feeling. I'm not planning to track the car, and at most it would be freeway ramps and turns (so 80-90 mph speed on freeway), or mountain roads with 40-50mph speed.

2) Standard interior - I haven't seen a car with it, but a lot of people say it's just fine. As I'm not coming from very luxury brands, as long as the leather and plastic are on par with BMW, it should be just fine for me.

3) HUD - I had it on my Audi before, and now on BMW X5, and love the feature, but mostly for navigation and current speed, and don't use it for anything else. BMW's one is quite good, although no augmented reality, and it shows directions from CarPlay; and actual live map when using native navigation, and that's very cool and useful. I heavily use BMW app's feature to enter the destination on the phone and send it to the vehicle, and that makes me mostly use the native navigation. But I'm not clear if Taycan's app can actually send destination to the car and how well it shows the directions on the HUD. Without that, almost 2K for HUD seems too much. I don't mind the looks, but is the cost worth the functionality?

4) Pano roof - I've seen a lot of comments that people love it. But I have it on my current car, and like the extra light, but it's almost always closed because I hate the burn on the skin when it's sunny (almost always) and the shade is open. Taycan's roof seems to be heavily tinted against UV and heat, so a lot of people say it's fine, but some people say they still feel the sun, so it may have be ceramic tinted. What feels like extra money to add to the roof, to fix the problem of sun that the free metal roof doesn't have to begin with.

5) Matrix lights. They are not allowed in US, and I almost never use high beam due to living and driving in the populated area (city + suburbs + freeways). If I end up getting Pano Roof, Matrix lights would be a free addition as a part of Premium package. But without that, as far as I understand, Matrix lights are not bette than regular LED lights?

6) Lane Change Assist vs Remote ParkAssist - I usually like as much safety features as possible. LCA and Remote ParkAssist seem to be incompatible in the configurator. I don't care about auto-park and remote parking, but Remote ParkAssist contains several nice safety features, like Rear Cross-traffic alert, that I heard so many times on other cars when backing out of a parking spots. When choosing between LCA and rear cross-traffic alert, LCA seems to be more important because it usually alerts and high speeds, where collision is much more dangerous. But I'd love to have both, and it seems like it's impossible?

7) InnoDrive - I expect a lot of driving in traffic, so want as much automation there as possible. I know it's possible to get ACC and then use FoD to add ALK and InnoDrive, and to be able to trial those functions before committing. I think ALK will be almost a guaranteed buy for me, but not sure about InnoDrive itself. Articles online say that it includes Traffic Jam assist for stop-and-go support, and speed adjustments on curvy roads, but everyone says it then drives like a granny (what I remember Audi doing as well). So, there is a post on this forum saying that built-in InnoDrive is better than FoD InnoDrive. So I've specced it so far, but not sure it's the right decision.
Sponsored

FrozenRobert

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan S Cherry Red
Country flag
Hey, welcome and happy motoring! I'll throw in a bit of feedback. Can't answer all of it, just my experience.

1) Never had a chance to drive a Taycan with that feature before I took delivery. Can't say I'd miss it. My 2021 4S does not have these add-ons and I'm absolutely blown away by the handling with the stock configuration.

My wife used to own a 328xi with the turbo 3.0 inline six, and I thought THAT was a rocket.

The Taycan handles better. No question. It brings a smile to my face every single day.

2) Standard = fine. I have the 1st level upgrade with the 14-way seats. I can't say what Race-Tex is like, or other configurations. But I am extremely pleased with the interior. It is easily on-par with BMW.

3) I have the HUD. It's ... uh, OK. If I had to spec all over again, I would NOT order it. Cost / benefit doesn't work out, it's just not worth the $$$. If it talks to the app, I haven't figured out how.

4 ) Pano would be up to your own experience. We just went through a very hot July here in Canada, and I never found the glass to cause IR heating, etc. However in Calif it may be different. That being said Porsche did a good job with the glass treatment to block most issues. But some people find the glass roof uncomfortable. I think the Taycan's is well done, especially when I compare it to the Tesla I test-drove in June.

5 ) Can't comment on the ambiguous US regulations re: lights. Mine has Matrix, which is wonderful. By far the best lighting array of any vehicle I've owned. Crisp, clean, precise.

6 ) & 7 ) I think these would be up to your own experience/preferences/research. I find Porsche's driving "firmware" to be excessively "nanny-like". I have a semi-autonomous mode on my older 2016 MB, and it is MUCH more refined. I opted to NOT get InnoDrive and I am glad I went that way. Even with ACC and Assist etc., I find the Porsche is jumpy and so nervous that I actually dis-activate it in city traffic. On freeways etc. it's decent enough -- but your analogy to Audi sounds correct.

Torv

First Name
Torv
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I chose the same interior option and I love it. My only suggestion would be to add the premuim package as your more than half way there with the Bose and the LCA. I've got that option and I'm loving it because all those other options are pretty much essential in my view. As for the pano roof, it is terrific with absolutely no heat transference to the cabin. We just drove last week from Marin to LA via I-5 and the valley was cooking at about 110. With the AC on at 72 the cabin was comfy cool, so much so that my wife turned her half up to 74. Other than those suggestions, I think you're doing OK.

nafzal80

First Name
Nauman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 C4S, Audi Q7
Country flag
I think essentials for a well but not overly configured car are:
Premium pkg: includes most of the options you picked, plus for a little more you get more at a slight price increase, like PDLS+, Pano roof etc.
LCA: expected in almost all modern cars
ACC: Innodrive isn't great, and you can always get it activated via on-demand software update FOD (functiona on dermand), if you pick ACC, ACC has the hardware needed for Innodrive to work later on
Porsche Intelligent Range Manager - they are making improvements with this feature, but its something you can get FOD (function on demand) via software purchase later.
Rear Axle steering - you really don't need PDCC or PTV, I have asked many ppl about this, RAS is essential and makes a noticeable different when driving and parking
Sport Chrono - you get to pick your drive mode without having to go through the menu
Bose
All-Season Tires for 20" Wheels - they last MUCH longer than the summer tires and is a $0 cost option
Window Trim in High Gloss Black - unless you like the chrome / silver around the windows
Panoramic glass roof - does not get hot inside I. hot weather, instead get all the windows (not roof) tinted
Perf battery plus
Electric Sound - it really just sounds cool IMO, personal preference, kids love it.
On-Board 150 kW/400V DC Charger - You may want to select the 400V 150kw charger given Tesla is opening the supercharger network to OEMs end of year. Just keep a look out on the news for this, Elon is famous for making fake promises but this is a strategic revenue / net income generating thing, so it should happen. Just keep up with the latest
14 way seats - little know fact for ppl not used to Porsche's, if you get the 8 way seats without memory pkg, your steeling column adjust will be manual, not electronic

Not essential:
Noise insulated glass is really not needed and at your price point I would remove this and pick other options,

Last edited:

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Hi, I've lurked on the forum for couple weeks now, read a lot of threads about various options and configurations, and wanted to ask for the community advice on my configuration, that is supposed to lock in about two weeks. We have a hybrid X5 that is a family car, so it will be used for all trips where we need to carry a lot of baggage, like beach trips with a toddler, camping, Tahoe trips, etc. Taycan is going to be a daily driver for me, to commute to work (freeway miles with traffic with regular city streets), local driving, maybe some backroads driving in the mountains for fun, and occasional trips to Napa, Carmel, that are not too far (100 miles one way maybe) and don't require taking a lot of stuff with us.

Here is a full build: http://www.porsche-code.com/PN1NQU20

The options I don't have confidence and would love some advice are:

1) PDCC (that brings in PTV+). I'm not sure whether PDCC is actually worth the money. I test drove Turbo that the performance package, and loved the feel of turning like on rails, and the feel of the car. But I didn't drive it really fast, so not sure which option actually contributed the most to that feeling. I'm not planning to track the car, and at most it would be freeway ramps and turns (so 80-90 mph speed on freeway), or mountain roads with 40-50mph speed.

2) Standard interior - I haven't seen a car with it, but a lot of people say it's just fine. As I'm not coming from very luxury brands, as long as the leather and plastic are on par with BMW, it should be just fine for me.

3) HUD - I had it on my Audi before, and now on BMW X5, and love the feature, but mostly for navigation and current speed, and don't use it for anything else. BMW's one is quite good, although no augmented reality, and it shows directions from CarPlay; and actual live map when using native navigation, and that's very cool and useful. I heavily use BMW app's feature to enter the destination on the phone and send it to the vehicle, and that makes me mostly use the native navigation. But I'm not clear if Taycan's app can actually send destination to the car and how well it shows the directions on the HUD. Without that, almost 2K for HUD seems too much. I don't mind the looks, but is the cost worth the functionality?

4) Pano roof - I've seen a lot of comments that people love it. But I have it on my current car, and like the extra light, but it's almost always closed because I hate the burn on the skin when it's sunny (almost always) and the shade is open. Taycan's roof seems to be heavily tinted against UV and heat, so a lot of people say it's fine, but some people say they still feel the sun, so it may have be ceramic tinted. What feels like extra money to add to the roof, to fix the problem of sun that the free metal roof doesn't have to begin with.

5) Matrix lights. They are not allowed in US, and I almost never use high beam due to living and driving in the populated area (city + suburbs + freeways). If I end up getting Pano Roof, Matrix lights would be a free addition as a part of Premium package. But without that, as far as I understand, Matrix lights are not bette than regular LED lights?

6) Lane Change Assist vs Remote ParkAssist - I usually like as much safety features as possible. LCA and Remote ParkAssist seem to be incompatible in the configurator. I don't care about auto-park and remote parking, but Remote ParkAssist contains several nice safety features, like Rear Cross-traffic alert, that I heard so many times on other cars when backing out of a parking spots. When choosing between LCA and rear cross-traffic alert, LCA seems to be more important because it usually alerts and high speeds, where collision is much more dangerous. But I'd love to have both, and it seems like it's impossible?

7) InnoDrive - I expect a lot of driving in traffic, so want as much automation there as possible. I know it's possible to get ACC and then use FoD to add ALK and InnoDrive, and to be able to trial those functions before committing. I think ALK will be almost a guaranteed buy for me, but not sure about InnoDrive itself. Articles online say that it includes Traffic Jam assist for stop-and-go support, and speed adjustments on curvy roads, but everyone says it then drives like a granny (what I remember Audi doing as well). So, there is a post on this forum saying that built-in InnoDrive is better than FoD InnoDrive. So I've specced it so far, but not sure it's the right decision.
Note that there is no internal shade for the Pano roof nor does it open - just in case you didn't realise.

OP
OP

makados

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
My only suggestion would be to add the premuim package as your more than half way there with the Bose and the LCA. I've got that option and I'm loving it because all those other options are pretty much essential in my view. As for the pano roof, it is terrific with absolutely no heat transference to the cabin.
I didn't add the Premium package because it includes pano roof that I have concerns over. But everyone here says that it's not an issue, so will probably get the premium package. Thanks!

OP
OP

makados

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Note that there is no internal shade for the Pano roof nor does it open - just in case you didn't realise.
That's the whole problem with the Pano roof, that there is no shade. Otherwise it would've been a no-brainer

Torv

First Name
Torv
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
That's the whole problem with the Pano roof, that there is no shade. Otherwise it would've been a no-brainer
I've found with my pano roof that I don't need or want a shade. The light transmission is severely restricted and there is virtually no heat transferred to the cabin even in 110 degree heat. Like I said, in another post, there is some seriously magical alchemy in that pano roof!
Sponsored