Moving from a 911 to a Taycan?

fucher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan Turbo, 2018 911 GT3
Country flag
First time post for me.... I'm here because I wanted to see if others were torn on their favorite porsche. I absolutely love my 2018 gt3 due to being manual and being loud and light. However, my new 2021 taycan turbo has me shocked that I love it too much as i do. I keep trying to crown a winner every day as i go back and forth between the taycan and gt3 and I simply cannot. Even when it's just me (no family in the car), they're equally as fun, just different. The stick shift is amazing and I know i'll miss it if i sell the GT3... but everything next to the taycan feels like starting a lawnmower.

andix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
991.1 S, Taycan Turbo (4/21), others
Country flag
991S and Taycan Turbo.

I don't like the 992 so much, Taycan in contrast is like in a different Galaxy.
Like the 4-seat sport car setup, comfort and acceleration. Range good enough and better than expected.

The 911 is lighter and more agile, better on the track while I now think the Taycan's better on public roads.

seea

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Singer Classic 911, Carrera GT, F430, Taycan 4S
Country flag
I'd initially ordered a Taycan (pre-launch), revised my order to a 992 C2S, & now plan to sell my 992 for a T4S. Don't care much for the 992...

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
991S and Taycan Turbo.

I don't like the 992 so much, Taycan in contrast is like in a different Galaxy.
Like the 4-seat sport car setup, comfort and acceleration. Range good enough and better than expected.

The 911 is lighter and more agile, better on the track while I now think the Taycan's better on public roads.
I'm with you - I do not like the 992. Taycan is incredible especially to use everyday - which I will be doing when my order arrives in June. :cool:

Tay Tay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Loving him is like driving a new Maserati down a dead-end street
Country flag
The one thing that feels materially worse in a Taycan is braking hard into a corner. Although I have all seasons and it’s only summers on 911. Does anyone know if that’s significantly improved with summers on a Taycan? Probably not since the Taycan weighs what it weighs but not sure.

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
The one thing that feels materially worse in a Taycan is braking hard into a corner. Although I have all seasons and it’s only summers on 911. Does anyone know if that’s significantly improved with summers on a Taycan? Probably not since the Taycan weighs what it weighs but not sure.
I'll have to report once I receive my car this summer. I ordered air suspension and standard (summer) tires.

Vim Schrotnock

First Name
Vim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTB1 Race Cayman, Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
The only problem I have had with the Taycan from a handling standpoint is braking hard into a corner from high speed. This is one heavy mother, and as planted and stable as the car is, there is not much that can be done to counteract the momentum of 5,500 lbs coming into a corner at 120mph. It just takes a long time and you are VERY aware of the weight of the car in this circumstance. Summer tires certainly bring the distances down, and the feel is better, but you know you're dealing with a massive weight that wants to keep going straight and it demands your full attention. Otherwise the handling pretty much defies physics.

Last edited:

sds1127

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Turbo, 991.2 GT3 Touring, Taycan Turbo
Country flag
The answer is 100% YES! and not only when it comes to the feel when braking hard into a corner, but nearly every aspect of this cars performance characteristics is improved IMO.

I took delivery of my 2021 Taycan Turbo (w/ 21” mission e wheels) in February— I live in Southern California. After logging 1,500 miles with the continental all season tires, I found myself extremely disappointed and decided to bite the bullet and switch to the Perelli summer tires. I am now smiling ear to ear because the difference = night and day. I am still shocked that Porsche only offers the ability to option summer tires on the Turbo S.

If a person drives their Taycan in a lackadaisical manner, then I don’t think this applies to them, nor do I think tires will make a difference. However, if you drive your Taycan the way a Porsche is designed to be driven...then the answer is YES!

Regarding the OP— I am very fortunate to also currently own a 2018 991.2 GT3 Touring (with summer tires) and I find it very difficult to compare the 2 cars. They are completely different, apples to oranges. However, if I had to choose between the 2, I would choose the Taycan because the Taycan offers so much more, and if you are a half decent driver riding on summer tires, you will probably find yourself keeping up with most, but not all 911’s out there on the road.

: )

Last edited:

Edward

First Name
Edward
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I came from a 997.2 6 speed manual, and in my first HPDE session at COTA with my Taycan 4S, I matched my PR. Here's a video of one of the laps:

The Taycan 4S is a vastly superior daily driver compared to the 997.2. On a track, you definitely feel the weight. I don't know if I could go back to a 911 as a DD at this point! I'd like to keep upgrading within the Taycan family over the next few years and then add a weekend / track car (e.g. 992 GT3 or an air-cooled 993).

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
I've done approximately 20-25 laps @ Laguna Seca on my 2020 Taycan Turbo - tire wear appears to be in the 30-45% range for those 25 laps - tires were "greasy" after 5 full pace laps - OEM all seasons - I plan to repeat a track date when my all seasons wear out and I put summer tires on it.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
OEM all seasons - I plan to repeat a track date when my all seasons wear out and I put summer tires on it.
I look forward to hearing your feedback about the same track driving on summer tires. Should be something very different I believe.

Mouse House

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
New Balance 1500 v6
Country flag
I've done approximately 20-25 laps @ Laguna Seca on my 2020 Taycan Turbo - tire wear appears to be in the 30-45% range for those 25 laps - tires were "greasy" after 5 full pace laps - OEM all seasons - I plan to repeat a track date when my all seasons wear out and I put summer tires on it.
What summer tyres are you going for? There are not many options for the 21in wheels. Michelin PS4S aren't made in the right size. I think I'm getting P Zeros.
Sponsored