Miwa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Given the testimonies of many 911 owners, it's certainly more than just a clickbait title. If you are a GT3 customer, I don't think there's a lot of overlap between the cars. If you are getting a PDK 911, there's a lot to compare between the 2 cars.

Now if the Mk2 R8 still had the manual as an option, then I would've had a much harder decision...
Sponsored

F16HTON

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
992 Carrera, Taycan RWD
Country flag
I own them both, a 2020 911 Carrera and a 2021 Taycan RWD. Both are similar in many aspects, both are also polar opposites too.

I cannot find any real faults with either car, but I can nitpick them to death if I wanted to.

Both cars are major head turners and get quite a bit of attention wherever you go.

Porsche Taycan Article: The Porsche Taycan 4S: Better than a 911? Believe it yO64xy3

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
Many of us face the dilemma of buying a sports car versus the daily trade-offs they come with. If you need something more practical for daily driving, then most resort to buying a daily driver and a weekend sports car. The best situation is when you can have a car that is good enough at both (daily driver and sports car) so that you have one less car in your garage, and you get the enjoyment of the car on a daily basis.

In the past I've had 911's as the third car in the garage. As I've gotten older and my kids have gotten bigger, I was driving the 911's less and less. I went through several iterations of trying to find an amazing all around car (Panamera ST Hybrid, RS5 Sport Back, Tesla Model X), but was never happy with my options.

This is where the Taycan comes in. It's the first car I have found that is an incredible daily driver, but also has enough "sports car" DNA to be enjoyed on the weekend. It makes a pretty convincing argument that one car can do it all. So the author might be right, that the Taycan really is better than the 911.
This would be my experience too.
The Taycan is the first 4 door car I have driven which gives part of the buzz of a sports car.
The only down side here in the UK is that it is H-U-G-E so parking will be a problem and I'll have to be more careful than usual on my favourite country roads.
I almost never drive my sportscar any more so am going to sell it.
At local driving speeds the turbo didn't feel notably quicker than the 4S (I don't do track days) and is the best for me.
Ordered a CT 5 weeks ago - now we wait.

M&M

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Coming soon… Taycan RWD
Country flag
Hellos, I sold my 992 C2S to buy a Taycan too. The 911 was a little underwhelming as a daily driver. Perhaps cause I don’t live next a track, nor go to one frequently, so the 911 didn’t do it for me.

I’ve had more fun from my past cars (to name a few - F82 M4, R35 GTR, BMW z4 is, 2004 WRX STI). But I absolutely loved the Taycan 4S/RWD equally. Hopefully this would be more rewarding than a Cayenne Coupe/MY22 Macan S as those were some others I considered.

Tsingtao

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toucan RWD
Country flag
1628353965228.png

I feel like it's comparing the whole ownership experience. While the driving enjoyment is a crucial core of it, there are other aspects that matter to different degrees to all of us.

This morning I plugged in my car and immediately the app showed me it's charging. That's not anything I ever had with the 911, and in my laziness did not like always having to drive to a gas station, wait for the machine to read my CC, deal with dirty gas pumps, balk at high prices, etc. While folks talk about range anxiety, I also had "gas anxiety" whenever it ran low and had to plan when I go get gas, can I wait until after my work commute, one more errand when the fuel light was on, etc.

It's so much more of a joy to just plug in whenever I want.
I could not agree more. In my twenties (oh so long ago) I dated a young lady whose father had his own gas pump -- so very civilized. From the minute I laid eyes on his private pump I dreamed of the day when I too could retire from filling my tank at the public trough. Simply plugging-in and avoiding the never-ending, mundane task of filling the tank brings me more joy than any gas powered car ever could. Now, if Porsche could just perfect self-driving vehicles, I will be able to take my laziness to a whole new level!

grahamsimmonds

First Name
Graham
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
I think the biggest difference between the 911 and the Taycan is one of future development. You can be nostalgic about a 911 and the noise but in the end it's reaching the end of the road in development terms. Porsche tweak it each year and possibly improve it a little but essentially the ICE 911 is not going anywhere fast.,

On the other hand, the Taycan is just the start. If Porsche's first EV can be this good, imagine what is coming? As battery size and weight decreases and performance/efficiency increases, we will see Boxster/Cayman sized electric cars that will be phenomenal to drive. Once the diehards allow them, Porsche will even produce an electric 911. No, it won't poison a polar bear but it will probably be the best driving car ever. Personally, I cannot wait to see what Porsche will be peddling when it comes to exchange the Taycan in 3 years time.
Sponsored