Automatic Software updates - Porsche needs to improve here.

paladin732

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan, Lucid
Country flag
Anyone see an issue where it just constantly updates maps?

I feel like every 2-3 hours of driving time I get the pop-up.
We are driving from sfbay area to Phoenix today and have gotten it three times already...
Sponsored

grahamsimmonds

First Name
Graham
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
Let's hope you get your 2021 updates as I don't get any of your issues. And I never want to go back to the lottery that was Tesla OTA updates. I want properly QA'd software, not "features" that a bunch of kids think that are funny.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Switch the notifications off and focus on driving.

I treat any updates as required just as if they were security patches for phone / computers.

Major OTA updates haven’t been pushed out yet and so it will be interesting to see how the much anticipated forthcoming March update is communicated and distributed.

I had a software update applied at the dealership this week for battery optimisation which wasn’t available OTA so suspect important / safety updates may still require a dealership visit for now.

RickDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
You should spend the time to be more familiar with the car. You can get that info from the menu.
I don’t want that info cluttering the dashboard. I like to focus on driving, not obsessed with whether I am on version 2.03.04.01 or 2.03.04.02
Wow why so resistant to technology and improvement. Yes the version would be nice.

RickDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
The taycan does the same thing, except it downloads in the background and then notifies you that it is ready to install. That just hasn’t fully rolled out. Page 173 of the manual. I thought I got a map update ota, but I may be mistaken about that.

So, I am sure when they come out with Der Fart App, you will get notified.

As far as you car still being updated after 7 years and Porsche wouldn’t, i am sure that Porsche would not do an update that nerfs the battery capacity and charging rate - that is not the type of “support” I would want from a company. Nor would Porsche do constant updates that increase the phantom breaking.

Which two software updates did you get? I know there was the 12v battery one, which may have been tied to getting that battery replaced, what was the campaign number for the second one?
Why you hate so much a young company that is the leader in technology and everyone is catching including Porsche. if You talk about battery efficiency and criticize Tesla you are in a parallel world.

Reg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Wow why so resistant to technology and improvement. Yes the version would be nice.
I focus on the experience of driving when I am driving my Taycan, not on technology or trivia like a version number.

If I wanted trivial info like the version number, I can get that from the menu.

TaycanNJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I focus on the experience of driving when I am driving my Taycan, not on technology or trivia like a version number.

If I wanted trivial info like the version number, I can get that from the menu.
You’re right, they should just put wood benches in the front instead of leather seats! Come on guys, it’s absurd to say the car drives well so tech should not be desired. Porsche is behind in the tech and you can bet they are doing everything they can to catch up with Tesla’s “niceties” right now. Nobody is debating that the car provides the best driving experience, that’s why we all own them.

Reg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
You’re right, they should just put wood benches in the front instead of leather seats! Come on guys, it’s absurd to say the car drives well so tech should not be desired. Porsche is behind in the tech and you can bet they are doing everything they can to catch up with Tesla’s “niceties” right now. Nobody is debating that the car provides the best driving experience, that’s why we all own them.
Oh please. A wooden bench would hinder the driving experience. Seeing on the dashboard that you are on version 1J1598.352.1689.4a would do nothing for the driving experience.

I never said tech isn’t desired. I said that I focus on the driving experience - not what tech it happens to have, and especially not caring to see the version number in the dashboard.

yes, After all this time Porsche is behind in tech since it still doesn’t have fart apps. But unless fart apps improves the driving experience, I don’t care.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
I knew going into the car that the tech would be nowhere near as good as the tesla that I came from but the glitches are troublesome.

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
Why you hate so much a young company that is the leader in technology and everyone is catching including Porsche. if You talk about battery efficiency and criticize Tesla you are in a parallel world.
No hate, just a bit too much marketing bling!

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
I knew going into the car that the tech would be nowhere near as good as the tesla that I came from but the glitches are troublesome.
Is that really the case? Where is wireless car play for all the iPhone fans? Even our ROEWE EV made in China has it...

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
Is that really the case? Where is wireless car play for all the iPhone fans? Even our ROEWE EV made in China has it...
what are you going on about now? the car has wireless car play.
if you despise the car maybe it might be wise to turn it in and move on to a car that is more to your liking.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
what are you going on about now? the car has wireless car play.
if you despise the car maybe it might be wise to turn it in and move on to a car that is more to your liking.
I think he is on his Tesla bashing trip as usual!

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
I think he is on his Tesla bashing trip as usual!
I don't care about T. Based on my own experience with my MS90D, I just don't buy into the hype created by ridiculous fanboy marketing lies.

Windpower

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y, BMW X3, Taycan RWD Coffee
Country flag
I knew going into the car that the tech would be nowhere near as good as the tesla
The issue with the Tesla automagic updates are that it's 2 steps forward, one step backward. With the latest Tesla updates on my model Y, there are two things which drive me crazy: on the display, trucks jump (this didn't happen back late 2020 but I'm not sure which update caused this) and the 'lane keep assist' does not seem to like yellow lines (it will alert you or push you back into your lane when you cross a white dotted line but if you cross a yellow line, there is no alert).

There are other updates which other Tesla drivers don't like but these are the two which bother me the most.

Over time, Tesla over-the-air updates are an improvement. But with each update, you never know what you will get. Their release notes seem to leave out a lot of smaller changes which, like the dancing trucks, are a step backward.

"Automatic Software updates - Porsche needs to improve here."

That said, over-the-air updates are the way of the future and having to bring your car to a service center for an update is just so 1990's.
Sponsored