First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
My guess is also software.
It's hard to believe that camera hardware would be on the level of... I don't know... 2010?
Sponsored

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
I just discovered something strange. My front camera is quite good when parking at Ionity stations, where you in many places have to go really far forward. This is due to the short cable lengths at some stations. The camera works great at the front for that.

The view is NOT Fisheye, but quite normal. And very good! And it activates automatically when needed. Now the strange thing is that you press the other camera view and it then activates the Fisheye view? Why have different approach for front and back cameras. Standard at the back Fisheye and standard at front Norml view?? And of course 360 degrees surround view worked as well!

I wonder what the guys implementing this features have been thinking??

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot

kreshi

First Name
hansi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
I’m sorry but the purpose of finishing driving school is also to make you not hit things with your car. You failed your job too.

In all seriousness the complaints in here are getting out of hand.

Vim Schrotnock

First Name
Vim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTB1 Race Cayman, Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
Ok, let's first of all understand that this is not a minor problem. Ambient lighting, seat heating, frunk gesture opening, intermittent comfort access, poor cellphone reception, non-functioning EA stations, these are all minor issues. Having a crap rearview camera in a car with some of the worst rear visibility of any car I've ever driven is a major issue that needs to be fixed.

fullmetalbaal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
The camera is truly abysmal, and I don't think we're likely to see a software fix.

1- From the way this thing behaves, I think at least part of this is a cheap sensor. Distortion is only part of the problem (and that's likely the lens) - it's also low resolution and contrast, and noisy at low lighting. Those are all harder to mitigate than the distortion.

2- My understanding is that the Taycan is still built the normal way with hundreds of micro-controllers. The head unit is probably taking the input from the camera unit and just displaying it in a pre-sized window. Tesla is relatively unique in updating things like rear camera clarity via software update because it's all in the one computer. (turns out there's benefits to being an iPhone on wheels).

Does anybody know whether the hardware for the rear backup camera is any different for cars with the 3D Surround? If that is noticeably better, this would be at least a way for people to spend their way out of this problem.

Silveral

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Guys, for those of you who feel that this backup camera is adequate, please go ahead and sit in a Mercedes...... any model, and backup, and you will realize what one of the guys posted. This is 2010 stuff and really is a pity for Porsche to be producing this kind of quality. As I'm the one who started this discussion I thought I'd weigh in, and I'm sorry to say that functionally my daughter's Mazda 3 series has a better camera even though it doesn't have a 360° camera the camera is designed for backing up into tight spots...
100% correct. Taycan camera is pure junk…..I have owned and still own current German top of the line models and I simply cannot use the Taycan’s camera

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
I have been driving for over 40 years, including 4000 miles on the track every year. I know how to drive...
In what direction?
You just aren't able to adapt to a situation and file a complaint at the NHTSA...
Indeed, that's not funny, it's hilarious.

As I said before, I agree it could be better.
We're already on page 5 and we have an official complaint at the NHTSA so to me it looks like all has been said and done.
I'm out and thank you for this great thread! ???

PS I don't think your complaint will stand a chance cuz especially for people like you there's a safety warning included by Porsche:

Porsche Taycan Backup Camera Quality to Improve? Screenshot_20210906-084925

Last edited:

Arjan_

First Name
Arjan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M3, Porsche Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
Ok, let's first of all understand that this is not a minor problem. Ambient lighting, seat heating, frunk gesture opening, intermittent comfort access, poor cellphone reception, non-functioning EA stations, these are all minor issues. Having a crap rearview camera in a car with some of the worst rear visibility of any car I've ever driven is a major issue that needs to be fixed.
When I was young (yess long time ago) and was studying I had a part time job on Saturday, I was delivering parcels in the Netherlands in a... Van (Volkswagen Transporter). I only had two mirrors (left and right) and often I had to reverse back out of a small street. I never hit anything.

Yes cameras are a nice feature but not necessary for safe and accident free driving. Mirrors will also do the job.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
I’m sorry but the purpose of finishing driving school is also to make you not hit things with your car. You failed your job too.

In all seriousness the complaints in here are getting out of hand.
Actually it pooping on people’s comments that is a problem. When I first started posting about the charging issues that I was having one or two posted numerous remarks that I was the issue, that I caused the problems. It gave me a good chuckle when the nastier one recently posted about his issues with charging while on his road trip. The point is that this is a forum for posting about the car, some people have silly issues while some people have faced serious issues, even to the point of forcing a recall, so the exchange of ideas should not and cannot be limited. If someone has something to say, they can say it, if you can help them, help them, if you think that they are foolish, skip the message. But all Taycan related comments are welcome

ElectricSoul

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY2021 Taycan 4 CT in Crayon
Country flag
The MY 2022 has hardware changes in the bumpers. Does anyone know if it affects the parking cameras point of view?

2021 Configurator
Porsche Taycan Backup Camera Quality to Improve? iris

2022 Configurator with all parking options
Porsche Taycan Backup Camera Quality to Improve? iris-2

Bug or hardware change addressing distortion?

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
The MY 2022 has hardware changes in the bumpers. Does anyone know if it affects the parking cameras point of view?

2021 Configurator
iris.jpeg

2022 Configurator with all parking options
iris-2.jpeg

Bug or hardware change addressing distortion?
If those are the bumpers being delivered from the factory the I think that it is safe to assume that there would be no conflicts with sensors or cameras

Taycanturbolondon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
i think i may have the answer to the discrepancies between us all.

I find the rear camera terrible for manoeuvring (use the birds eye view for that) but it is good when it comes to getting really close to an object for parking in central london.

steen

First Name
Steen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MB E-class coupe
Country flag
I think the guys at NHTSA just laugh their pants off right now!
You really filed a complaint about a rear view camera at the NHTSA...

Lol. ???
If the camera is distorted enough to misjudge distance, you could kill people. I doubt NHTSA ignores such stuff.
Sponsored