Battery during Winter Storage - Working as designed or lucky?

NaiM5

First Name
Nai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
992.1 Turbo S, '20 Taycan Turbo, 997.2 GT3, E39 M5
Country flag
Sadly, I am surprised.

After sitting in storage for two months, my 2020 Taycan Turbo w/ 6100 miles recognized my approach and started right up on its infamous 12V battery.

I was sure the 12V battery would die after two months. It died before like many of you as my daily driver. When I brought the Taycan to the dealer for "dead 12V battery," they simply gave me a new charger and said my 12V battery health was good. FYI: My 12V battery died while I was plugged into the Porsche charger overnight on a profile setting "85% by 0400 every day."

In summary:

1) Main Battery SOC was ~67% when I put the Taycan in storage two months ago. She was ~65% today. OAT is 30-50 degrees.
2) My Taycan had also suffered the 12V battery issue, and the Porsche dealer gave me a new Porsche Charger w/ "a feature disabled." No new battery.
3) My Taycan is in an area with neither Cellular nor WIFI reception.
4) My key fob is 12 stories above the car, well out of range.
5) I have and can use the Porsche connect app, but it doesn't connect to my car and still thinks my car is out in the suburbs from when I drove it last.
6) The charge cable is not attached while in storage.
7) There is nothing attached to my 12v battery - i.e trickle charger.
8) The "Direct Charge" is enabled. I left the button on.

Test:

Let's see what happens in a month. This time I charged the battery to 81% (hoping that by charging the main battery, the 12V battery would top off), and we'll see where the SOC is.

I guess this is some good news amidst the unresolved 12V battery issue?
Sponsored

Last edited:

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
to date I’m only aware of 12V death issues _IF_ the vehicle is plugged into a charger - I do not believe there are 12V death issues with no charger plugged in.

but I could be wrong.

Doc B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
to date I’m only aware of 12V death issues _IF_ the vehicle is plugged into a charger - I do not believe there are 12V death issues with no charger plugged in.

but I could be wrong.
That's what I thought, but I think there have been two posters on here who have had dead 12V batteries while unplugged just sitting in their driveways. I was shocked when I read those, since that would mean there's a whole load else going on in there (unless it was just a case of the FOBs being too close and continually communicating with the car).

NC_Taycan

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Tesla Model S P85, '17 Cayenne S, '20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I wonder if the two dead while unplugged incidents can be correlated with the key fob being close to the car. @NaiM5 you mentioned your car's location and SOC haven't been updated since you parked it. You also mentioned where it is parked there is no cell service. Once you get her out for a drive, this should all update.

I agree it is sad when the car working as it was designed comes as a surprise.
Sponsored