Battery Health Tips

Mazithra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan & Taycan & Mini Cooper SE
Country flag
Hey Guys,

Just wanted to see if you guys have any tips & tricks to keep the Taycan's Battery healthy and happy =) Here's what I do currently:

- I changed my General Charging Profile to stop charging at 85% for longevity. I usually drive mine around town so an 85% charge is more than enough for me.
- I also use a 11kw A/C charger and avoid DC charging as much as possible

What else would you recommend?
Sponsored

andrewket

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Taycan Turbo, Tesla Y*2; Prev S,X,3,996TT
Country flag
Hey Guys,

Just wanted to see if you guys have any tips & tricks to keep the Taycan's Battery healthy and happy =) Here's what I do currently:

- I changed my General Charging Profile to stop charging at 85% for longevity. I usually drive mine around town so an 85% charge is more than enough for me.

Those are good tips. I’d add:

1. Charge every night. Frequent “shallow” charges is better than less frequent “deep” charges. Don’t wait to be close to empty and then charge.
2. If you are using DC charging and you’re not in a hurry, activate battery friendly mode which limits peak power to 200kW.
3. It’s best to avoid high states of charge (90-100%). If you do need to charge to 100%, it’s best to minimize the amount of time the battery sits at that SOC. Try to time your charging to end right before you hit the road.

OP
OP
Mazithra

Mazithra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Those are good tips. I’d add:

1. Charge every night. Frequent “shallow” charges is better than less frequent “deep” charges. Don’t wait to be close to empty and then charge.
2. If you are using DC charging and you’re not in a hurry, activate battery friendly mode which limits peak power to 200kW.
3. It’s best to avoid high states of charge (90-100%). If you do need to charge to 100%, it’s best to minimize the amount of time the battery sits at that SOC. Try to time your charging to end right before you hit the road.
Thanks for the tips! These are great too!

The DC fast chargers are 50kw in my country as we have a shitty grid system, so I probably shouldn't think too much about #2 =)

Jancha

First Name
Janis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 Cabrio (ex Taycan 4s+)
Country flag
Thanks for the tips! These are great too!

The DC fast chargers are 50kw in my country as we have a shitty grid system, so I probably shouldn't think too much about #2 =)
Which country are you from? We have only 50kw chargers here in Latvia (except 2) :)

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
try to avoid letting the car sit for long periods of time at either low SOC or high SOC.
30-80% is where you want it to be at if the car is going to sit for more than a few hours

Last edited:

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS Etron GT, Jaguar I-Pace, BMW i8, ex Taycan TTS
Country flag
All good recommendations. I’ll add if you don’t need the full range do shallow charges from 70 or even 60% to 40-30%. The more you are straddling the middle the less stress. But this is now in small gains range. The big ones as stated above are avoid max and min SOC, don’t let the car stay at those max/min ranges, minimize fast charges if you can as it stresses the battery more than an L2 charge.

JD4S

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Hey Guys,

Question for you Mazithra - on my charging profile I only have the option for a minimum (no max option or stop time) charge which is set to 85%. Is there another setting for this that anyone uses or does this come from options on the home energy mgr? We just received our 4s last month and just using it for weekend drives so just now coming up to speed on the best ways to manage/maintain the car. All tips welcome. Thank you -

dflohr

First Name
dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD, Boxster S (RIP)
Country flag
All good recommendations. I’ll add if you don’t need the full range do shallow charges from 70 or even 60% to 40-30%. The more you are straddling the middle the less stress. But this is now in small gains range. The big ones as stated above are avoid max and min SOC, don’t let the car stay at those max/min ranges, minimize fast charges if you can as it stresses the battery more than an L2 charge.
Not sure I get what you wrote. Have a RWD coming hopefully in June. Already have a L2 charger installed. Trying to understand whether its better, based on my projected use, to charge daily from 80% back to 85% or to drive it a few days to 50% and then bring it back to 85%. Thanks.

OP
OP
Mazithra

Mazithra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Question for you Mazithra - on my charging profile I only have the option for a minimum (no max option or stop time) charge which is set to 85%. Is there another setting for this that anyone uses or does this come from options on the home energy mgr? We just received our 4s last month and just using it for weekend drives so just now coming up to speed on the best ways to manage/maintain the car. All tips welcome. Thank you -
You click Edit on the General Charging Profile, then you select %85 as the mininmum charge level, and then you get out of the profile and activate it by ticking the box right next to it.

The minimum charge setting is actually the max charge limitation in this situation. I know it's a little confusing, but it did the trick for me

OP
OP
Mazithra

Mazithra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Not sure I get what you wrote. Have a RWD coming hopefully in June. Already have a L2 charger installed. Trying to understand whether its better, based on my projected use, to charge daily from 80% back to 85% or to drive it a few days to 50% and then bring it back to 85%. Thanks.
I'm also curious about this.

Someone else also wrote small frequent charges are better than big seldom charges. What's the science behind this?

SwissTaycan

First Name
Dieter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S arrived on 23.12.20 and 718 Spyder on order
Country flag
I know there are a lot of posts on this, but nice to get a recap again on people's ideas and thinking.

So question: what is better? On a really light day I might only use 10-15% charge. So is it better to:

a) Charge to 85% and then end up at 70%+ in the evening and charge back to 85% in the night (so the plug in every night option)
b) Charge to 85% and then after 2-3 days charge from say 35% to 85% in the night (so do not plug in on a daily basis

This then has multiple variations of only charging to say 75% and end up at 60% that evening and charging every day or 65% and end up at 50% and charging every day, etc. or charge to 75% and wait to plug in until 35%, etc. etc. etc.

Seems ideas vary on this from the posts so far.

Last edited:

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS Etron GT, Jaguar I-Pace, BMW i8, ex Taycan TTS
Country flag
If you avoid very high and very low SOC, and can keep your car in the range of say 30-70% SOC then whether you do 10 charges adding 10% each time, or doing 4 charges adding 25% each time (a total increase of 100%) makes no difference to the longevity of the battery. Its not the number of types, but the range of SOC used that ages the battery.

The exception is the added strain of very high or very low SOC and allowing the car to sit at those ranges.

Does that make senes?

dflohr

First Name
dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD, Boxster S (RIP)
Country flag
Thanks Epirali. We have a really cheap nighttime electric EV rate so will probably just charge with L2 at home (maybe daily, maybe every few days) and save the fast chargers and 100% SOC for trips.

andrewket

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Taycan Turbo, Tesla Y*2; Prev S,X,3,996TT
Country flag
I know there are a lot of posts on this, but nice to get a recap again on people's ideas and thinking.

So question: what is better? On a really light day I might only use 10-15% charge. So is it better to:

a) Charge to 85% and then end up at 70%+ in the evening and charge back to 85% in the night (so the plug in every night option)
b) Charge to 85% and then after 2-3 days charge from say 35% to 85% in the night (so do not plug in on a daily basis

This then has multiple variations of only charging to say 75% and end up at 60% that evening and charging every day or 65% and end up at 50% and charging every day, etc. or charge to 75% and wait to plug in until 35%, etc. etc. etc.

Seems ideas vary on this from the posts so far.
Option A - ABC, Always Be Charging. Frequent shallow charges is better than infrequent deep charges.
Sponsored