Bognar67

First Name
Janos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
T M3P 2019, Taycan GTS 2022, i4 40 MS 2024
Country flag
Your experience at Smatrics, would mean you spent 75% more time with battery saving than without? Assuming there is no penalty for longer charging times.

It would mean that the charging curve would be significantly different in your two cases? Interesting observation and something I will look out gor next time.

Interesting pricing model to have it time based, especially if the charge rate would be less than expected. Say you should be able to get 250 kW but the station only delivers 100 kW. The you loose out?

I saw that the Porsche Charging Service was not active in a few countries in Europ yet, Poland, Hungary amongst them. Hope that will be sorted out soon.
These are my side numbers low and high on DC Smatrics charges.
Anyway these are my last charges without 1. Battery Saving (EUR0,33/kWh) 2. with Battery Saving(EUR0,51/kWh).
Not fully comparable (charging states and amounts, but same trip charges directly after each other so temp is similar preheat on both) but -on the pricing of minute charging method- I can feel the diff on my pocket.
Porsche Taycan Battery-saving fast charging Kép. 2022. 12. 23. - 15.14

Porsche Taycan Battery-saving fast charging Kép. 2022. 12. 23. - 15.22

Bognar67

First Name
Janos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
T M3P 2019, Taycan GTS 2022, i4 40 MS 2024
Country flag

jvincent

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ice Grey CT4
Country flag
Screenshot 2022-12-23 at 10.21.55.png

What's the current thinking on the "Battery-saving fast charging" option?

I'll be picking up my second Taycan in early January – and its likely to be one that I keep for a while. I'm contemplating activating this option from Day 1. But I am also wondering aloud if it really makes any difference to battery life? Especially since the recent software update Porsche seems to be comfortable with fast charging more aggressively.

Is this option snake-oil ?
If I'm in a rush and charging to a low SOC, I'll turn Battery-saving off. If I need a break or need to charge to 80% or more, I'll turn Battery-saving on or plug in to a 150kW dispenser. 250kW is always there if I need it and I'm not opposed to using it if warranted.

This is the best comparison/commentary on this feature I've found. Ignore the click bait title. Heat kills the battery and there are good insights on keeping pack temps lower using Battery-saving.

OP
OP
tigerbalm

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
This is the best comparison/commentary on this feature I've found. Ignore the click bait title. Heat kills the battery and there are good insights on keeping pack temps lower using Battery-saving.
Thanks for the video – was informative. One aspect, that I hadn't considered, is the "lower" speed charging is also slightly more efficient resulting in less losses – and a few kWh's less spend on a fill – especially if charging higher then 80% at an IONITY station.

Not a major considering in the big picture – but a learning that I had never considered.
Sponsored