Bird in the hand….

Moto_Joe

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Sport Tourismo (waiting on allotment)
Country flag
So I’ve got a deposit on the only allocation my local dealer will have for a ST GTS and was told in early February that they’d get their allocation likely in July. They anticipated delivery in September at that point. We all have seen what happened since then…Ship fire, loss of barge, war etc. I was told that the loss of vehicles to the boat fire would push my expected build back a month and that the Boat that was lost constituted a third of their ability to bring vehicles over. I’m guessing that would delay it another month at least so now I’m into late December at best. Now there is the war and build stoppages.

my dilemma is definitely first world as I’m thinking about buying a 4S sedan new at a dealer about 100 miles away. It’s not the same spec as I’d choose, but well done. I am thinking that the ability to drive one daily would give me the opportunity to see what options that I’d really want and what I might do without. I am in the US so could qualify for the tax credit in 22’ and might be able to do the same in 23’ if the ST GTS comes in after the start of the year. I don’t even know if all of the options I’d like to order will be available when August/September rolls around.

I’m not expecting to drive a car for free for a year by getting some ridiculous resale when the time comes, although that would be a pleasant surprise. I just don’t want to take a bath by getting the 4S for such a short period.

Thoughts?
Sponsored

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
I think you need to be willing to take a large depreciation hit to do this. That doesn’t mean it will happen. But you need to accept that it can. Who knows what the market will be at that time. I wouldn’t do it personally, but I’m not willing to risk the depreciation for that short of a term.

Edit: I just saw you’re from STL. I assume the other dealership is Isringhausen?

OP
OP

Moto_Joe

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Yes, Isringhaussn. I almost drove up to Detroit for a Polestar 2 a couple of weeks ago but held off. This is a third car and more for fun, so I don’t NEED to make a change.
Probably the smart play to stand pat, but there is always an itch.

Hirschaj

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan CT4 - Mamba Green, 2022 Challenger
Country flag
Nobody has a crystal ball but my guess is that you will lose little to no money especially if you collect the tax credit. On the other hand, the market could come crashing down and then you’d have to figure out how to deal with it. I’d probably risk it.

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Wait, Isringhausen has an in demand car and they’re not requiring you to bring two check books, your first born, and a bottle of lube? These are strange times.

OP
OP

Moto_Joe

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
It looks like it is listed at MSRP. I configured one on the Porsche site with the information in the ad and it matched up pretty well. The car is in Carmine red, which is my second choice. It wouldn’t bother me to be buying a 21’ in 22’. I’m sure there isn’t a correct answer, but it’s tempting to drive up there and right back wearing a new skin.
Sponsored