break in

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
Ok, I’m going to say this and just leave it. Take it for what it’s worth. The OP‘s post and account fits a phishing attempt. New account, few posts, pretty woman profile pic. This account is asking us to determine and post PUBLICLY what we think are the vulnerabilities to our very valuable vehicles. Even if the OP post is 100% legit, not a good idea people to post what we think are the best ways to loot this car. We are the SMEs on it and need to protect it.

OP, if you are legit, i do apologize, but seriously, this whole situation smells wrong. I’d advise admins to close this thread and not allow any like it that exposed potential ways to steal or break into our cars, even tho there may be legit reasons to ask.

I promptly expect my account now to be targeted if OP is in fact a criminal, so this may be the last time I have control of it. ?
I appreciate a healthy dose of paranoia probably more than the next guy (I work in cyber-security and usually describe myself as "more paranoid than most"). However, in this case really nothing is discussed that you cannot find out from an online user manual or GTK app from Porsche. On the other hand, other owners reading this may learn a few ways to protect themselves. Notice that in this case knowing how to protect yourself (such all all the advice given in this thread) while helpful as a defensive measure, does very little for an attacker.

So could the OP be an imposter looking for information? Of course there is always that chance, but given that there isn't really much to be gained by the OP here, I'd say that chance is small. More importantly, as long as folks here don't start sharing undisclosed zero day vulnerabilities, I think we're good. :like:
Sponsored

Last edited:

DANgerous

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
The idea that someone would come to a forum like this to learn about techniques/vulnerabilities for stealing Taycans is, well, at least to me, ludicrous.
It's so ludicrous, but it just might work...

Anyway, benefit of doubt to the OP (from me at least), and as per a few suggestions maybe think about what is sensible to post just in case there are other bad actors reading. o_O

gnop1950

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4s
Country flag
It's so ludicrous, but it just might work...

Anyway, benefit of doubt to the OP (from me at least), and as per a few suggestions maybe think about what is sensible to post just in case there are other bad actors reading. o_O
The best way to mitigate vulnerabilities is to be aware of them. You can be sure that the thieves are aware of them and owners should be as well. Forums are one of the best ways to share your experiences and make sure other owners don't fall prey to the same vulnerabilities.

Personally, I feel that by not discussing them on forums like this one you are just doing the thieves a service and owners a disservice. I wouldn't mind seeing a "Security" forum for discussing ways to prevent/mitigate the chance of theft. Articles like the following are all over the place and could be referenced in a Security Forum:

Keyless Car Theft Prevention
EVs and cyber security
Electric Vehicle Charging Cyber Security

There are tons of other articles on the security risks and mitigation strategies for electric vehicles and even more for vehicles in general.

I'm also willing to bet that if you search the dark web you'll probably find multiple forums where they discuss and share techniques for breaking into and stealing cars. Heck, there may even be one dedicated to the Taycan ;) I'm sure there would be some dedicated to Porsches.
Sponsored

Last edited: