sheila

First Name
sheila
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
taycan 2021
Country flag
hello. anyone has any idea how the thieves would unlock a taycan? that has happened to me twice in the past month? any similar experience anyone?
Sponsored

timc3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT Turbo, BMW 330e
Country flag
Do you have comfort access (not that it's been a problem yet in my knowledge)?

TycanNewHampshire

First Name
TG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tycan 4S
Country flag
A common attack is a relay attack. I suspect that the taycan is not impervious to these types of attacks. If that's the case, put your keys in a faraday cage. :)
This, one can also clone your key in your pocket/purse while sitting next to you eating lunch.

Question: they have broken in twice? Same place? Perhaps is is the same clone of the key and put a camera on where the break in happens. Also, did you have something in the vehicle that they stole, or how did you know they broke in?
The technology to relay attack or clone is not cheep or easy to set up, so just wondering why they would go through the trouble of breaking in for something or relatively little monetary value, compared to just taking the car itself?
Any chance you walked by and the comfort access unlocked and it was not locked again, or the key is close enough where it is sensing it and unlocking it?

OP
OP
sheila

sheila

First Name
sheila
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
taycan 2021
Country flag
A common attack is a relay attack. I suspect that the taycan is not impervious to these types of attacks. If that's the case, put your keys in a faraday cage. :)
Thanks for the response. Im not sure what a faraday cage but I’ll google it ??
This, one can also clone your key in your pocket/purse while sitting next to you eating lunch.

Question: they have broken in twice? Same place? Perhaps is is the same clone of the key and put a camera on where the break in happens. Also, did you have something in the vehicle that they stole, or how did you know they broke in?
The technology to relay attack or clone is not cheep or easy to set up, so just wondering why they would go through the trouble of breaking in for something or relatively little monetary value, compared to just taking the car itself?
Any chance you walked by and the comfort access unlocked and it was not locked again, or the key is close enough where it is sensing it and unlocking it?
they took valuables the first time around 2k cost to replace them. The second time we put security cameras but unfortunately it didn’t capture that time frame. 2 nd time they left some sunglasses on the seat , seemed like they got scared of the light coming on and bailed. I learned my lesson and not leaving anything valuable in my car anymore. Thanks for the response

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
When I moved to CA for a while, I was advised by local friends not to leave -anything- electronic in the car. Not even a charging cable. I had to uninstall my hardwired V1. Vehicular property crimes seem to be a real problem.

Perry

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla SP85D, Model P3D, Taycan Turbo S CT
Country flag
If they managed to unlock your car (twice!) then you should immediately let your dealer program a new key for you. Then you should turn off comfort open so that you actually need to push the unlock button in the key.

After all that has been done, it’s however crucial that you never leave anything visible in the car, no matter what it is. If they can’t unlock the car, they will just break the window which is even worse.

faroutinNM

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Taycan Turbo, '05 MINI Cooper S
Country flag
I purchased this set of two Faraday pouches for keeping the keys isolated. They're nicely designed, but I haven't needed to use them yet. You can also turn off the key's presence indicating beacon by pressing and holding both the lock and unlock buttons until the Porsche crest flashes. The beacon is then reactivated when the lock or unlock button is pressed.

Gubbjaevel

First Name
F
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
TaycanT'20
Country flag
Thanks for the response. Im not sure what a faraday cage but I’ll google it ??
Put your car keys in your microwave. (It's a Farraday cage, making sure the microwaves doesn't excite the wrong atoms....)
Then as an addition if you leave just after eating your keys will be nice and warm.

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
I thought the current Porsche keys (Comfort Access) had got round the relay attack problem?

I thought they are now smart keys that only give a signal when moving and go to sleep when static.
So no need for Faraday pouches.

Is this not the case?

Visie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 CT 4S
Country flag
I thought the current Porsche keys (Comfort Access) had got round the relay attack problem?

I thought they are now smart keys that only give a signal when moving and go to sleep when static.
So no need for Faraday pouches.

Is this not the case?
I also thought the key doesn’t send out a signal when it lays still for more then 15 seconds…

faroutinNM

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Taycan Turbo, '05 MINI Cooper S
Country flag
I just want the beacon shut off when I'm hand-washing the car, so that I don't inadvertently activate the Comfort Access functions and get the oft-repeated key presence acknowledgement chirp-and-blinks. But, as noted above, you can deactivate the key's beacon signal by long-pressing the lock and unlock buttons together, and that allows an unperturbed hand wash.

BTW, I've found that this gentle hand-washing technique, when applied to the full-PPFed Fro*Zen Blue exterior, provides a relaxing and enjoyable way to refresh this car's physical beauty.
Sponsored

Last edited: