Buying Without Test Driving?

hawc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Golf R
Country flag
Anyone else think it's strange you're about to buy a Taycan without ever sitting in it or test driving it? For those of us who are on the waiting list. I've always test driven every car I've ever bought, but now I'm about to buy a Porsche that I'll have never sat in or driven.
Sponsored

SHY

First Name
Svein Harald
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ymr.no
Vehicles
Mercedes R-Class, Saab 9-5, Mac Minarelli X30 gokart
Country flag
Demo cars should be in for november.

I’d never do that. I was very close to pulling the trigger on a Model S in 2013. But the test drive killed my interest.

Last edited:

DrParis

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 991.2 C4S. Panamera GTS
Country flag
Demo cars should be in for november.

I’d never do that. I was very close to pulling the trigger on a Model S in 2013. But the test drive killed my intetest.
Amen, brother. I’d never spend 120k or whatever on a new model sight unseen

TheSnape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fiesta
Country flag
Anyone else think it's strange you're about to buy a Taycan without ever sitting in it or test driving it? For those of us who are on the waiting list. I've always test driven every car I've ever bought, but now I'm about to buy a Porsche that I'll have never sat in or driven.
Also, that you're buying a Taycan from the teaser images on the brochure - which PAG_J1 confirmed were made when the car's design wasn't yet finalised, although at least the finished Taycan will at least follow the contour seen on the brochure.

Haros

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
You bet
Country flag
Well I wouldn’t say buy. But reserve and wait and see.
My budget is $100k Canadian and that may very well not be enough or the car may not be good enough at that price point.
I’d say I have a toe in the water and can always sell my spot in line.

Here’s hoping it works out though!

Reactions: SHY

randkin

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
930 TC, 997.2 TTS, Panamera TTS, Cayenne GTS, Ferrari 612 OTO
Country flag
Well I wouldn’t say buy. But reserve and wait and see.
My budget is $100k Canadian and that may very well not be enough or the car may not be good enough at that price point.
I’d say I have a toe in the water and can always sell my spot in line.

Here’s hoping it works out though!
I agree reserve and see what Porsche delivers. I have no doubt it will be a quality vehicle but I am not sure it will be a vehicle I want to own?

With one of Porsche 911s I would not be so concerned about driving it first. I have owned and driven a lot of Porsche’s mainly 911s but generally have a reasonable idea what to expect. I have not driven any EVs so have absolutely no idea what I am getting into and will have to go for a spin to see if it is really something I want to own and DD.

Also not sure your $100k Canadian will deliver much more than the base car with a few options. I am guessing the car most folks want will be $120k - $160k out the door. Some folks on this forum are guessing the top trim car will be $200k?

DrParis

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 991.2 C4S. Panamera GTS
Country flag
I agree reserve and see what Porsche delivers. I have no doubt it will be a quality vehicle but I am not sure it will be a vehicle I want to own?

With one of Porsche 911s I would not be so concerned about driving it first. I have owned and driven a lot of Porsche’s mainly 911s but generally have a reasonable idea what to expect. I have not driven any EVs so have absolutely no idea what I am getting into and will have to go for a spin to see if it is really something I want to own and DD.

Also not sure your $100k Canadian will deliver much more than the base car with a few options. I am guessing the car most folks want will be $120k - $160k out the door. Some folks on this forum are guessing the top trim car will be $200k?
I agree completely. I think there will be some sticker shock given the high development cost Porsche has incurred

Haros

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
You bet
Country flag

Yeah that’s what I fear.
I’ll wait and see yet though. The model S has already seen significant price reductions here.

Perhaps when they said between the cayenne and the panamera, they did not mean the base models of those two cars. Since that would mean $75k to $98k

Mhsulli

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla P85
Country flag

For $200k, you could buy the new Tesla Roadster which will in all likelihood be their first true sports car

randkin

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
930 TC, 997.2 TTS, Panamera TTS, Cayenne GTS, Ferrari 612 OTO
Country flag
For $200k, you could buy the new Tesla Roadster which will in all likelihood be their first true sports car
Not so sure I want a Tesla Roadster in any event or even a Porsche sports EV, maybe a hybred like an entry level 918 should that happen. For now at least, I think I will keep my "fun" cars ICE vehicles. An EV for DD/grocery getting seems like what I want. I guess I want the fanciest toaster available for the mundane tasks. If that works out then I may consider an EV for a “fun” vehicle. But it is waaaaay too soon for me to even think about an EV as a sports car at any price.

Erik Niehof

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Cayenne S E-Hybrid
Country flag
You're not really buying the car yet. You have just put a deposit on an allocation at this point. Before deciding on the final specs, most clients will have had a chance to see the car and most likely also drive the car. We were informed by Porsche that they will introduce the top level car first, then the middle one and later in 2020 they will launch the "base" model. Putting a deposit on the car was smart, because that puts the ball in your court wether you want to finalize a purchase or not. For people that haven't done so yet and decide they want one, they might have to wait a year before an allocation could become available. As far as our store goes, we believe we have enough order to fill a year's worth of allocations.
Sponsored

Reactions: Dee