Cable management.

WasserGKuehlt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4CT, 996C2, MacanS
Country flag
I’m sorry to interrupt with a post that isn’t about the refresh, or the now-worthless J1 I. I’m curious what folks are doing about their EVSE charging cable: what hooks, coiling techniques, winter vs summer practices etc.

My scenario: initially I used the PMC+, with the base holder mounted in a stud under the outlet, and the plug holster up and to the right. Space is tight, this is all between the main panel and a window, with a normal 120v outlet thrown in the mix. I then switched to an Autel EVSE; this one has a built-in holster and the box has a ridge to hold the cable as it coils around the unit. I like the Porsche holster much better, and so I tried various utility hooks on which to coil the cable. The problem is they usually come with horizontal screwing holes - wider spaced than the thickness of a stud (and I’m out of studs in that area anyway). Here are some pics:

Porsche Taycan Cable management. 20240209_162202737_iOS
Porsche Taycan Cable management. 20240209_162212188_iOS

The problem is that, during wintertime, the cable gets pretty stiff, and my coiling it pretty tightly (notice the limited clearance to the floor) puts quite a bit of stress on the hook. I tried sturdy anchors, a bigger hook - eventually it becomes loose.

What do you do? Thanks for any thoughts.

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
I have a hook on the wall that’s very close to where we pull nose-in, lined up with the passenger side. I do large coils (it ends up being around 3 wraps or something) on the hook. Then the EVSE is a couple of feet to the left with a holster.

Taking the plug out of the holster and removing the first wrap on the hook is plenty to reach the car with the cable laying on the ground. Then putting it away is just placing the single wrap back and then putting it back in the holster.

I wanted to fuss with it as little as possible.

I’ve never noticed the cable to be stiff either. I’ll have to look at what type of insulation is on it.

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag
Super simple - the 60A breaker ChargePoint accessible to cars beneath or on top of dual car lift. Socket on right above mini a std 40A breaker. Old pic of garage with old logos panels and before I re-painted - kinda looks like crap here but better now :) Cable just runs loose on floor by back wall with handy plug holder setup beside car AC port.

Porsche Taycan Cable management. IMG_5416

After re-painted walls in early 2022 and new Logo backgrounds :)

Porsche Taycan Cable management. IMG_5434

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag
EDIT _ Dagnabbit _ the first post did not for some reason in fact post _ I re-loaded 2 times and never appearedbut of course, posted this again below and the other one appears - a better pic so what the hell, I'll leave it :)

Super simple - 60A breker ChargePoint can accommodate cars beneath or on top of dual car lift ad is line of sigh with WiFi router/extender in kitchen window :).

Socket above Mini logo on an additional 40A breaker. Cable for ChargePoint just runs along floor to the handy plug holder which lines up perfectly with the AC charge port on the Taycan.

Porsche Taycan Cable management. IMG_5458

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I’m sorry to interrupt with a post that isn’t about the refresh, or the now-worthless J1 I. I’m curious what folks are doing about their EVSE charging cable: what hooks, coiling techniques, winter vs summer practices etc.

My scenario: initially I used the PMC+, with the base holder mounted in a stud under the outlet, and the plug holster up and to the right. Space is tight, this is all between the main panel and a window, with a normal 120v outlet thrown in the mix. I then switched to an Autel EVSE; this one has a built-in holster and the box has a ridge to hold the cable as it coils around the unit. I like the Porsche holster much better, and so I tried various utility hooks on which to coil the cable. The problem is they usually come with horizontal screwing holes - wider spaced than the thickness of a stud (and I’m out of studs in that area anyway). Here are some pics:

20240209_162202737_iOS.jpeg
20240209_162212188_iOS.jpeg

The problem is that, during wintertime, the cable gets pretty stiff, and my coiling it pretty tightly (notice the limited clearance to the floor) puts quite a bit of stress on the hook. I tried sturdy anchors, a bigger hook - eventually it becomes loose.

What do you do? Thanks for any thoughts.
I have the PMC+ and the Porsche Dock for cable management. No visible cable from the supply side direct into the Porsche Dock. EVSE to car cable tethered and neatly wrapped within the Dock.

My OCD won't tolerate untidiness - neat and tidy wins the day.

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 GLC AMG43, 2024 Taycan 4 CT
Country flag
The problem is they usually come with horizontal screwing holes - wider spaced than the thickness of a stud (and I’m out of studs in that area anyway).
Easy-get yourself a 2x2 or 2x4 pc of 3/4” plywood(these come precut at the box stores), screw it to the studs, and then mount anyplace you want on that new surface.

If aesthetics are important, use a router to round over the edges, and slap 2 coats of semigloss on it.

ShiftyWolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2017 Audi Q5 PP
Country flag
Mine is in concrete block so I could choose my spacing. I found a hook at Home Depot that has the screw posts vertically.
Porsche Taycan Cable management. 1000001767

Porsche Taycan Cable management. 1000001768

25 foot cord is wrapped with enough slack on the end to run the plug to my car or one parked next to it, if needed.

*Edit: the cable was plugged into my car when I snapped these photos tonight. It usually remains in the plastic holder.

Last edited: