Cables

Midlifecrisis

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Taycan 4S (sold). Macan SD (sold)
Country flag
As far as I can tell, a UK Taycan comes with a mobile charger. There are (I think) 2 cables that come with this. The first is a 13A connector that goes in any ordinary socket. The second seems to be a plug that goes in a red 32A industrial outlet. This second cable can optionally be swapped for one that goes in a red 16A socket or a blue 16A socket.

Have I got this correct? If so, which is the best cable to have?

Bizarrely (on a separate note) it seems possible to have a longer cable - but only if you pay for the connect version of the charger.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Midlifecrisis

Midlifecrisis

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
And to confuse me even further, it looks like to charge from a slowish charging station a Mode 3 cable may be required. That would be a type 2 to type 2 cable. But they come in 1 phase (up to 7kW) and 3 phase (up to 22kW). I am not getting the 22kW option, so will only be able to go up to 11kW. So presumably I would need a 3 phase cable. Does anyone know which is available on the cofigurator as it doesn’t specify how many phases?

MTGBUK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi SQ7, Turbo S CT (Received :)
Country flag
If you're not going to spec the 22kw option then there isn't a best option. Besides your home charger choose the one which you are most likely to use. Blue is for 240v (1ph), red is for 380v/400v (3ph).
If choosing red make sure you choose the correct one as the plugs are a different size. To make matters worse 3ph sockets can come in both 4 pin and 5 pin.

OP
OP
Midlifecrisis

Midlifecrisis

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
If you're not going to spec the 22kw option then there isn't a best option. Besides your home charger choose the one which you are most likely to use. Blue is for 240v (1ph), red is for 380v/400v (3ph).
If choosing red make sure you choose the correct one as the plugs are a different size. To make matters worse 3ph sockets can come in both 4 pin and 5 pin.
I probably won’t use any of them… I have no idea! I wonder if the blue ones are more ubiquitous. I don’t know.

Neptune

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
There are two blue cables headers, single phase 16 amps and 32 amps.
The red cable is 32 amps 3 phase and a larger 64amp 3 phase.

NM1978

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S, Lotus Elise 111R, Audi SQ7, VW Transporter
Country flag
are any needed for public charging points? Most have type 2 don’t They?

grahamsimmonds

First Name
Graham
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
I use a Type 2 3 phase cable a lot. Not only for charging at home and work, but many hotels have untethered charge units. Also Scotland has many charging locations where a type 2 cable is necessary. I have a 7.5m cable which is invaluable if you need to the length to reach.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
As far as I can tell, a UK Taycan comes with a mobile charger. There are (I think) 2 cables that come with this. The first is a 13A connector that goes in any ordinary socket. The second seems to be a plug that goes in a red 32A industrial outlet. This second cable can optionally be swapped for one that goes in a red 16A socket or a blue 16A socket.

Have I got this correct? If so, which is the best cable to have?

Bizarrely (on a separate note) it seems possible to have a longer cable - but only if you pay for the connect version of the charger.
Type 2 cable to be kept in the car - it is for public 'untethered' charging points i.e. there are many charge points out there where there is no cable 'tethered' to the unit.

Standard cables supplied with the car are fine and by default you get the Porsche Mobile Charger Plus (9.6kW max).

Standard domestic UK supply (aka single phase) on a dedicated 32A fused supply to the charger will provide a maximum of 7.4kW (ample for overnight charging).

To max out the standard 11kW AC onboard charger you would need a 3 phase supply at home (expensive if you don't have it already).

If you have spec'd the 22kW AC onboard charger then 3 phase supply at home is needed together with the Porsche Mobile Charger Connect (22kW rated) or other 3rd party 22kW capable charging point. If you don't have 3 phase then you will be limited to 7.4kW.

22kW and 11kW public chargers AC can of course be used and you will be limited by the onboard AC charger of your Taycan - either 11kW or 22kW.

The standard equipment list (bottom of the configurator) will detail what charger and cables you will get.

For home use I would recommend getting the longer cable - gives more flexibility.

Always go with the 32A cable so that you have all bases covered. If you settle on 16A and have a 32A supply then you will be limiting the available supply which will lead to a longer charge times.

The 13A 3 pin standard domestic plug is your 'get out of jail' connector should you have an issue at home or take your PMC+ or PMCC on trips with you were there is no reliable DC or AC public source. Charging from a low SOC will take days so watch out.

Remember the charger is built into the car and the PMC+, PMCC, or 3 party device is simply there to provide a safe and stable flow of electricity - it isn't a 'charger' but rather an EVSE - Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment.

OP
OP
Midlifecrisis

Midlifecrisis

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Type 2 cable to be kept in the car - it is for public 'untethered' charging points i.e. there are many charge points out there where there is no cable 'tethered' to the unit.

Standard cables supplied with the car are fine and by default you get the Porsche Mobile Charger Plus (9.6kW max).

Standard domestic UK supply (aka single phase) on a dedicated 32A fused supply to the charger will provide a maximum of 7.4kW (ample for overnight charging).

To max out the standard 11kW AC onboard charger you would need a 3 phase supply at home (expensive if you don't have it already).

If you have spec'd the 22kW AC onboard charger then 3 phase supply at home is needed together with the Porsche Mobile Charger Connect (22kW rated) or other 3rd party 22kW capable charging point. If you don't have 3 phase then you will be limited to 7.4kW.

22kW and 11kW public chargers AC can of course be used and you will be limited by the onboard AC charger of your Taycan - either 11kW or 22kW.

The standard equipment list (bottom of the configurator) will detail what charger and cables you will get.

For home use I would recommend getting the longer cable - gives more flexibility.

Always go with the 32A cable so that you have all bases covered. If you settle on 16A and have a 32A supply then you will be limiting the available supply which will lead to a longer charge times.

The 13A 3 pin standard domestic plug is your 'get out of jail' connector should you have an issue at home or take your PMC+ or PMCC on trips with you were there is no reliable DC or AC public source. Charging from a low SOC will take days so watch out.

Remember the charger is built into the car and the PMC+, PMCC, or 3 party device is simply there to provide a safe and stable flow of electricity - it isn't a 'charger' but rather an EVSE - Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment.
Thanks. I am still not sure that this answers my questions although it is still helpful. For the mobile charger, which of the 3 optional supply cables will be most useful? I don’t know which socket I will come across? Is one more common than the other?
For the mode 2 cable, is the one on the configurator 1 or 3 phase? My Taycan will only have the 11 kW option but a 1 phase won’t get up to this if I use a charger out and about that will do this and only have a 1 phase cable

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Thanks. I am still not sure that this answers my questions although it is still helpful. For the mobile charger, which of the 3 optional supply cables will be most useful? I don’t know which socket I will come across? Is one more common than the other?
For the mode 2 cable, is the one on the configurator 1 or 3 phase? My Taycan will only have the 11 kW option but a 1 phase won’t get up to this if I use a charger out and about that will do this and only have a 1 phase cable
In respect of socket they are all the same so not a consideration.

The phase doesn't relate to the cable it relates to the electrical supply to your charge point (PMCC or PMC+).

Single phase (i.e. what you have) is perfectly fine for home charging and will provide 7 4kW.

When out and about and you can't find a DC charger then locate a 22kW or 11kW AC charger. Your car will charge at 11kW.

Choose a Type 2 (mode 3) cable for public charging.

Order the 7.5m cable for your charge point to car - it's free and the extra length useful.

You do not need any of the industrial cables unless you have a charge point at your workplace which requires it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Midlifecrisis

Midlifecrisis

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
For the phase 2 cable see this link:
Type 2 - Electric Vehicle Equipment
Picture below. There is single phase 16 or 32A and 3 phase 16 or 32A. Maybe one is just thicker cable than the other. The plugs look the same. Looks like the single phase only does up to 7.4kW. So for the max 11kW do I need a 3 phase? this would only be for an untethered charger that I find somewhere if I need to charge. If so, which is the one on the configurator? what will it support?

Porsche Taycan Cables 1628537684018

Porsche Taycan Cables 1628537623587

OP
OP
Midlifecrisis

Midlifecrisis

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
For the 7.5m cable you have to have the mobile charger connect. Looks like it won't work with the ordinary mobile charger

Porsche Taycan Cables 1628538092967

OP
OP
Midlifecrisis

Midlifecrisis

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
For the industrial cables - I have no idea if any of them will ever be used. Does anyone use any of them anywhere? unless of course you have a specific one at work

OP
OP
Midlifecrisis

Midlifecrisis

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
In fact there are 3 different mode 3 cables on the configurator. A public charging cable (£210), a 7.5m cable (up to 11kW) and a 4.5m cable (up to 22kW) - both at £370. Not sure which I need (obviously not the 22kW, but which of the other 2)

MTGBUK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi SQ7, Turbo S CT (Received :)
Country flag
The options are choices for your personal needs. As far as I know as I have yet to receive my car default is 240v 32a cable which is automatically supplied if you do not select another option. You may find you never use the mobile charger. . However many people like myself may be able to charge their car at work where there isn't a EV charging point installed. Some may only have access to a red 400V 16A socket (remember I mentioned earlier that the plugs and sockets are a different size - red 16a plug will only fit into red 16a socket, 32a plug will only fit into 32a socket etc.) therefore they would option the 400v 16a cable.
Sponsored