Can't decide between Vossen HF5 Gloss or Satin Black (Crayon/Chalk GTS Sedan)

Finish?

• Total voters

zzy45

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS
Country flag
I have set eyes on getting a set of Vossen 20" to put my summer tires (20") back on, due to the lead time I want to place the order around late January/early February.

Mine is a GTS sedan in Chalk/Crayon color.

Porsche Taycan Can't decide between Vossen HF5 Gloss or Satin Black (Crayon/Chalk GTS Sedan) IMG_4524.JPEG

Current wheels have the PZero winter tires on; these are standard GTS wheels with satin black finishes.
Porsche Taycan Can't decide between Vossen HF5 Gloss or Satin Black (Crayon/Chalk GTS Sedan) IMG_4607.JPEG

Can't decide between gloss vs. satin finishes for the new wheels; anybody have first hand experience living with either of these finishes and how do you like it in terms of look and maintenance (how easy to keep clean)?

Thanks!

Satin:
https://vossenwheels.com/galleries/hybrid-forged-series-hf-5-3/
Porsche Taycan Can't decide between Vossen HF5 Gloss or Satin Black (Crayon/Chalk GTS Sedan) 1672246235372

Gloss:
https://vossenwheels.com/galleries/hybrid-forged-series-hf-5/
Porsche Taycan Can't decide between Vossen HF5 Gloss or Satin Black (Crayon/Chalk GTS Sedan) 1672246221606

Last edited:

MrBlueSky

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4S
Country flag
I haven't gone for black wheels on my own car but, I've voted for the gloss. I think the fact you have gloss black on the window surrounds, mirror stems (?), side skirts etc, the gloss wheels work better imho.

Foxy

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS6,992GTS,GolfGTI
Country flag
I have gloss missions on my dolomite silver car, I’m delighted with them and get lots of positive comments.

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag
I haven't gone for black wheels on my own car but, I've voted for the gloss. I think the fact you have gloss black on the window surrounds, mirror stems (?), side skirts etc, the gloss wheels work better imho.
+1

friskygeek

First Name
faisal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 GTS ST (on order), '22 Macan, Cirrus SR22
Country flag
Satin wheels! I had them in my e63s AMG. Not only do they look better they are also easier to maintain!

Raphie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4s (21)
Country flag
The car should pop, not the wheels imho.

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Satin wheels! I had them in my e63s AMG. Not only do they look better they are also easier to maintain!
Ha, interesting as in my experience it is the exact opposite re cleaning but TBH with the total lack of brake dust on the Taycan setup the point is fairly moot - these have been the easiest wheels I’ve ever had to maintain!

friskygeek

First Name
faisal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 GTS ST (on order), '22 Macan, Cirrus SR22
Country flag
Ha, interesting as in my experience it is the exact opposite re cleaning but TBH with the total lack of brake dust on the Taycan setup the point is fairly moot - these have been the easiest wheels I’ve ever had to maintain!
Yes to be fair, I also has carbon ceramics on my AMG... So yea... maybe that was it. haha.

Mathys

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 X3 30e
Country flag
Satin shows more of the wheel design, which is my preference.

Pivotaltrader

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 TTS 18 hd denali 23 bentley gt speed
Country flag
i have satin finish on my vossen rims and they look fantastic. I have ceramic coating on them and they help with the maintenance. I had the same dilemma gloss vs satin. They look fantastic.

Porsche Taycan Can't decide between Vossen HF5 Gloss or Satin Black (Crayon/Chalk GTS Sedan) IMG_6456

Porsche Taycan Can't decide between Vossen HF5 Gloss or Satin Black (Crayon/Chalk GTS Sedan) IMG_6441

Porsche Taycan Can't decide between Vossen HF5 Gloss or Satin Black (Crayon/Chalk GTS Sedan) IMG_6445

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
TBH I like both finishes and have had both on different cars but in my particular setup I really like the gloss wheel finish and at least to my eye there is absolutely no loss of 'definition' of the wheel design at all.

Now my car is a little bit more different than most though as I had all my 'dimpled' plastic smoothed and painted mostly a satin black with a couple of elements gloss black :)

Rather than have satin wheels I really prefer the contrast between my finished paint job and both the OEM gloss pieces and my couple of newly painted elements in gloss like the headlight 'tear-drops' and the wing on the electric charge door - but again, this custom setup allows me the option to at any point swap out to satin for the wheels if desired and retain a fairly unique but 'oem-ish' all round look.

Some examples of the finished contrasting elements here:

OP
OP
zzy45

zzy45

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS
Country flag
wow, guys, thanks for the super constructive opinion and advices, if no making it an even more difficult choice.

It really seems like we can't go wrong with either.

Let me sleep on it for a few more days.

Hirschaj

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan CT4 - Mamba Green, 2022 Challenger
Country flag
I had satin black with my Chalk CT4 and LOVED them. I think they complement the Chalk perfectly. On my new Mamba Green CT4 I went with gloss black wheels to match the gloss black splitter and skirt inserts. The gloss black works great with that combination.

Cleaning is about the same with both wheels. The gloss black is deeper and darker looking than the satin. I did ceramic coat my gloss black wheels to avoid the chance of seeing hard water stains on them (the gloss doesn’t hide imperfections as well as the satin). I didn’t coat my satin wheels.

I vote for satin with the chalk. Hopefully that’s helpful. Happy to provide some pictures if you want.
Sponsored