Change of heart

4sCT21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1999 MK 2 MR2 GT T-Bar, 2002 Volvo S80
Country flag
So ever since I was notified of further delays to my RWD order, I’ve been contemplating the exact spec (along with many other members I’m sure) of my car. I was going to have to up the yearly mileage on the contract anyway, so whilst I was adjusting my contract, why not throw a couple small more toys in….. ? 😅

Anyway, late last night my lease company suddenly made the sport tourismo available for order and when running through some quotes (to my surprise) it was working out better value than my RWD order.

So this morning I spoke to my Porsche dealer to confirm I could cancel without issue (no fees etc) and proceeded to contact the lease firm. It was also mentioned by Porsche that I could expect any potential ST order much quicker than my previous car.

So that’s my RWD order cancelled as far as I’m aware.

Now to place a new order ……..

I have decided to go for RAS given what I have read on here, as I believe it’s something I might later regret not having. This does mean compromise elsewhere however.

Compromises (For RAS)

Paint :- Solid black (not ideal but will be ceramic coated immediately)
Alloys :- 19“ Aero S (controversial I know)

Regarding the alloys, I had gone for Turbo Aero‘s on my RWD, but when I breakdown the costs, it’s a lease and I would be paying £1000 over 4 years for wheels that look great at a distance, but give me heartburn when close up. I can not justify that.

IF I go for the ST RWD I will not be having the base alloys, apologies to those who like them, but they are definitely not for me. I could be tempted to upgrade further on the base ST given I’m already spending some money to avoid the base wheels, but would probably go metallic paint before doing that.

Remaining Spec
Performance battery +
2 tone beige / black base interior
14 way comfort seats (want squab adjustment for thigh support)
RAS + power steering plus
Panoramic roof
Windscreen grey top tint
Bose
Surround parking cams
Elec folding mirrors
Auto dimming mirrors
Heated steering wheel
150kw onboard charging
Ambient lighting?? (possibly)

Model specific spec
Air suspension (rwd)
Brushed aluminium door sill guards (4s)

Big question, RWD or 4S? Price difference of around £58 per month.

Feedback always appreciated.

Cheers.
Sponsored

Last edited:

whan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD, Ferrari 458, Lexus GX460
Country flag
It's only 58GBP difference per month to go 4S over RWD? Or is that assuming you take fewer options for the 4S? Over 4 years that only seems to be 2,784GBP ($3,600), seems like a good deal since I think spec for spec the 4S is like $16k or so more than a RWD here in the states (4S gets Air Suspension and PDLS+ as key standard options over RWD). If you had a 55% residual, you should be paying closer to double that I'd think

For that price difference, I'd go for it. And that's from someone who considered buying a 4S here in the states but ended up going RWD

OP
OP
4sCT21

4sCT21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
It's only 58GBP difference per month to go 4S over RWD? Or is that assuming you take fewer options for the 4S? Over 4 years that only seems to be 2,784GBP ($3,600), seems like a good deal since I think spec for spec the 4S is like $16k or so more than a RWD here in the states (4S gets Air Suspension and PDLS+ as key standard options over RWD). If you had a 55% residual, you should be paying closer to double that I'd think

For that price difference, I'd go for it. And that's from someone who considered buying a 4S here in the states but ended up going RWD
It looks like they’ve put their prices up this evening, but fortunately I have some saved quotes!

The only one quoted with RAS is the 4S one lol

So I’m left with whatever cars Ive got quotes for 😅

Last edited:

Jezza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mercedes E-Class
Country flag
Hi, what timeframe were you given on your ST order? I ordered my 4S saloon this week and got told to expect delivery March 2024. I’m not waiting for 2 years so will switch to ST if that’s a better timeline. Many thanks!

OP
OP
4sCT21

4sCT21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Hi, what timeframe were you given on your ST order? I ordered my 4S saloon this week and got told to expect delivery March 2024. I’m not waiting for 2 years so will switch to ST if that’s a better timeline. Many thanks!
March 24?! jeez, that can’t be right surely?

No time frame, just better than Q1 23, which is when I was expecting my delivery.

OP
OP
4sCT21

4sCT21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
My saved options are the following

All have the original spec including power steering + and ambient lighting, but RAS only on no 3.

ALL ST

1. RWD :- Dolomite with slate interior and S Aero

2. RWD :- White with slate and S Aero (£11 cheaper than 1)

3. 4S :- Black with 2 tone chalk / Beige and S Aero incl RAS

4. 4S :- Mamba with slate and S Aero (£9 cheaper than 3)

5. 4S:- Solid black with slate and S Aero (£20 cheaper than 3)

Any thoughts? Is RAS that critical?

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
I live in the UK and don't find I need RAS - and I don't have it.

If it didn't exist I would be fine.

However, If I could have it at no cost/little cost I would take it.

BUT it's a very personal option. There are some people who do say, a lot of city driving, or have tight access to a driveway at home and they say its essential.

I would take a test drive in a Taycan without it and see how it works in your life.

OP
OP
4sCT21

4sCT21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I live in the UK and don't find I need RAS - and I don't have it.

If it didn't exist I would be fine.

However, If I could have it at no cost/little cost I would take it.

BUT it's a very personal option. There are some people who do say, a lot of city driving, or have tight access to a driveway at home and they say its essential.

I would take a test drive in a Taycan without it and see how it works in your life.
Thanks for your guidance as always @Fish Fingers

Unfortunately the supplying dealer is around a 4 hour drive away lol

I don’t city drive much, it’s just the multi-storey at work where I park upto 5 times a month.

The difference in cost between the cheapest RWD option (still nice spec) and most expensive 4S is £77 a month.

fgwinn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY22 FBM CT4 (sold), MY23 EQS 450 4Matic SUV
Country flag
Compromises (For RAS)

.........Regarding the alloys, I had gone for Turbo Aero‘s on my RWD, but when I breakdown the costs, it’s a lease and I would be paying £1000 over 4 years for wheels that look great at a distance, but give me heartburn when close up. I can not justify that.

IF I go for the ST RWD I will not be having the base alloys, apologies to those who like them, but they are definitely not for me. I could be tempted to upgrade further on the base ST given I’m already spending some money to avoid the base wheels, but would probably go metallic paint before doing that..........
I don't regret ordering the S Aero wheel on my 4 CT. I prefer the more conventional design of the S Aero over the wheels with what I would describe as excessive webbing between the spokes. While the Turbo Aero or Turbo S Aero wheels may look better than the S Aero wheels from a distance, up close I prefer the S Aero wheels. I feel the same way you do about the base Aero wheels.

OP
OP
4sCT21

4sCT21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I don't regret ordering the S Aero wheel on my 4 CT. I prefer the more conventional design of the S Aero over the wheels with what I would describe as excessive webbing between the spokes. While the Turbo Aero or Turbo S Aero wheels may look better than the S Aero wheels from a distance, up close I prefer the S Aero wheels. I feel the same way you do about the base Aero wheels.
I totally agree with you. The solid black sections just look cheap to me close up. Like I say, look great from a distance.

I love the Spyder wheels, but I’m not in a position to go there.

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
Thanks for your guidance as always @Fish Fingers

Unfortunately the supplying dealer is around a 4 hour drive away lol

I don’t city drive much, it’s just the multi-storey at work where I park upto 5 times a month.

The difference in cost between the cheapest RWD option (still nice spec) and most expensive 4S is £77 a month.
I don't do my multi storey parking generally, but it isn't a problem in a typical MS car park if I do.

It is just quite a big and wide car.

That said front end wheel lock on my RWD is really good. Short nose and no engine let's the front wheels turn at a very sharp angle.

Its reversing which takes a wider arc.

Compared to my previous car (BMW M2) - turning going forward is better, in reverse is worse. So, I use the surround cameras a lot more reversing as visibility in the saloon is minimal then. May take a 3 point turn instead of a 1 point in the M2.

OP
OP
4sCT21

4sCT21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I don't do my multi storey parking generally, but it isn't a problem in a typical MS car park if I do.

It is just quite a big and wide car.

That said front end wheel lock on my RWD is really good. Short nose and no engine let's the front wheels turn at a very sharp angle.

Its reversing which takes a wider arc.

Compared to my previous car (BMW M2) - turning going forward is better, in reverse is worse. So, I use the surround cameras a lot more reversing as visibility in the saloon is minimal then. May take a 3 point turn instead of a 1 point in the M2.
I’m running an 02 Volvo S80 I got off eBay and it’s large with no sensors, I did a 15 point turn getting out of my space on Sunday lol

Lots of cars cope without RAS, so I’m sure it will be fine. Given my only 5 options, I don’t want to limit myself just because of RAS, other spec were more important to me.

I refuse to pay the increased prices now I know they’ve gone up. One of those 5 if not all would be great I’m sure.

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
I’m running an 02 Volvo S80 I got off eBay and it’s large with no sensors, I did a 15 point turn getting out of my space on Sunday lol

Lots of cars cope without RAS, so I’m sure it will be fine. Given my only 5 options, I don’t want to limit myself just because of RAS, other spec were more important to me.

I refuse to pay the increased prices now I know they’ve gone up. One of those 5 if not all would be great I’m sure.
Sounds like you will be fine without RAS then. 👍
If it didn't exist as an option it wouldn't have even crossed my mind.

In a typical UK car park, I am more concerned about other drivers parking close and pranging my Taycan, rather than getting into or out of the parking space.

OP
OP
4sCT21

4sCT21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Sounds like you will be fine without RAS then. 👍
If it didn't exist as an option it wouldn't have even crossed my mind.

In a typical UK car park, I am more concerned about other drivers parking close and pranging my Taycan, rather than getting into or out of the parking space.
I work out of Heathrow so I know that particular worry well.

4thPcar

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Previously: 914, 944 and 997 911S. Now Taycan
Country flag
My saved options are the following

All have the original spec including power steering + and ambient lighting, but RAS only on no 3.

ALL ST

1. RWD :- Dolomite with slate interior and S Aero

2. RWD :- White with slate and S Aero (£11 cheaper than 1)

3. 4S :- Black with 2 tone chalk / Beige and S Aero incl RAS

4. 4S :- Mamba with slate and S Aero (£9 cheaper than 3)

5. 4S:- Solid black with slate and S Aero (£20 cheaper than 3)

Any thoughts? Is RAS that critical?
Sorry to muddy the waters, but I think RAS is the single most valuable option I paid for. The car is big but you won't know it with this feature as you spin the car like a top in any tight spaces. Great for parking in all situations and let's be honest, you will have to park the car virtually every time you take it out, so its not like some feature that is discretionary (like fake sound, sport chrono, cosmetics, etc). More than this, I find it really helpful when I want to turn in the middle of a tight lane if I pull from a parking spot that is on an angle to the curb, but I wish to turn back to the direction I came from. No more 3-point turns!

In the US you need air suspension in order to get RAS. That is also an option I'd pay for now that I can see how smooth the car rides compared to any other vehicle I've owned.

Its true that you won't know what you are missing if you've never had it. That's a hollow argument in my opinion. You are spending money to get a premier ride and experience - this is part of that experience.

Let us know what you decide!
Sponsored