Change of mind after lock in date?

timo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan GTS, Sequoia
Country flag
How do you know what the OTD price of the car is going to be? I was lucky enough to get an allocation on a cold call. I didn't have to put any money down until after the commission code was received. That being said I still asked for PO with all the OTD costs before paying the deposit. The dealer had no problem with this and this is as it should be anywhere.

I also had a fully refundable deposit for a waitlist locally. The dealer had no problem documenting the terms of the deposit, but I did have to ask for the paperwork.
Sponsored

OP
OP

ktvw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s 2022
Country flag
You should get that now. It's your allocation. You have until Jan 14 to make changes to your build config in the Porsche Configurator that will be mapped to that allocation, once you provide your final 'porsche code' to your SA. However, you've paid a deposit for that allocation, so double check your name is on it in their system already.
Thanks for the info. When you said your build sheet had ID of the vehicle, is that the VIN number or something else?

They printed me an offer to purchase/quote with my name and the specs I chose now with MSRP/total purchase price.

OP
OP

ktvw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s 2022
Country flag
How do you know what the OTD price of the car is going to be? I was lucky enough to get an allocation on a cold call. I didn't have to put any money down until after the commission code was received. That being said I still asked for PO with all the OTD costs before paying the deposit. The dealer had no problem with this and this is as it should be anywhere.

I also had a fully refundable deposit for a waitlist locally. The dealer had no problem documenting the terms of the deposit, but I did have to ask for the paperwork.
I put down the deposit to hold the allocation spot first and then I sat down with them to actually spec out everything I wanted and then they printed the options i chose and final MSRP for me

timo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan GTS, Sequoia
Country flag
I put down the deposit to hold the allocation spot first and then I sat down with them to actually spec out everything I wanted and then they printed the options i chose and final MSRP for me
Right, the MSRP is on the build sheet but how do you know what the dealer is going to charge you? Not saying they will screw you but it should be put in writing and signed by you and the manager.

evn00b

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan 4S, '14 Lexus IS, '22 Hyundai Palisade
Country flag
Thanks for the info. When you said your build sheet had ID of the vehicle, is that the VIN number or something else?

They printed me an offer to purchase/quote with my name and the specs I chose now with MSRP/total purchase price.
It will have your unique allocation number. That is what is used to track your build during production all the way till almost the end when the fully built car gets assigned a VIN at general assembly. If the dealer cannot provide you an allocation number at this stage then it means you don’t have an allocated build slot.

mdrobc1213

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M4, Taycan CT4, 992 Carrera,
Country flag
I guess my lock in date is Jan 14 so I can still ask for a contract now? They made it seem normal to just put down a deposit and then thats it. I also got an email to sign up for my porsche and track the production of my Taycan so when I login I can see updates and progress so it seems like it is official and not just a promise?
Did the email come from Porsche or the dealer? Porsche TDY does send an email and ask you create an account to track your car after an order is placed towards an allocated car. That usually has a commission number associated with it which your dealer should have provided you when you gave them $$$ and placed your order. If this didn't happen and your email came as an "oh by the way request" from your dealer then something else is going on.

However I still would not give any dealer a bunch of cash an not walk away with a contract or something in writing guaranteeing my order and allocation specifics and just a verbal okay. That's just crazy.

marvinp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1998/2008 BMW M3s
Country flag
Depends on the dealer. Here in Los Angeles, one told me the deposit is non-refundable but can be transferred to another Porsche (if we eventually decide we want a 911 instead of a Taycan, for instance). Another dealer said the deposit is fully refundable, no restrictions.
In California, I think it's the law that your deposit should be fully refundable, no ifs or buts.

GreenDay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan CT4, Porsche Macan S
Country flag
Right, the MSRP is on the build sheet but how do you know what the dealer is going to charge you? Not saying they will screw you but it should be put in writing and signed by you and the manager.
You have the MSRP and that won't change. However, ask them to send you some lease or finance sheets "as you want to know your monthly" payment. There'll you find point in time fees, interest rates, money factors, residuals, taxes etc. Note that some of this stuff is point in time until you actually lock in financing. I'm not sure a dealer would commit and sign anything before that. But you can take it to the dealer as leverage. My dealership has been very good about this stuff ymmv.

OP
OP

ktvw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s 2022
Country flag
Did the email come from Porsche or the dealer? Porsche TDY does send an email and ask you create an account to track your car after an order is placed towards an allocated car. That usually has a commission number associated with it which your dealer should have provided you when you gave them $$$ and placed your order. If this didn't happen and your email came as an "oh by the way request" from your dealer then something else is going on.

However I still would not give any dealer a bunch of cash an not walk away with a contract or something in writing guaranteeing my order and allocation specifics and just a verbal okay. That's just crazy.
The email came from Porsche directly and I didn't say anything to the dealer yet

mdrobc1213

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The email came from Porsche directly and I didn't say anything to the dealer yet
Then you should be good. Lack of any paperwork from dealer is still concerning esp since you gave them money/deposit. Otherwise they could change the terms..add an ADM...or just refuse to sell you the car man. Seen it happen before amongst some P-car dealers especially for in demand vehicles.

OP
OP

ktvw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s 2022
Country flag
Then you should be good. Lack of any paperwork from dealer is still concerning esp since you gave them money/deposit. Otherwise they could change the terms..add an ADM...or just refuse to sell you the car man. Seen it happen before amongst some P-car dealers especially for in demand vehicles.
I asked the dealer and they gave me the commission number now. Do you think I still need something signed in paper? What paperwork did they provide you?

NJRJ

First Name
Norm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M5
Country flag
Hi everyone,

Put a 5k deposit on a taycan 4s and estimated arrival is in April; does anyone know what happens if I change my mind after lock in date and want a GTS or different car? Do I just lose my deposit or is there anything else involved?

Also, I didn’t sign any contract when putting down my deposit, did you guys have to sign one? Lock in date is Jan 14, so maybe they will give me something after that?

Thanks!
I've dealt with several Porsche Dealers in Quebec over the last 20 years. I never gave more than a $1000 refundable deposit on the 8 Porsches I've owned over the years. If you change your mind after the lock in date ,your dealer may hold you to it, or if the configuration is a common one he may keep it in Inventory and allow you to order a new car, however you would probably have to wait for your turn for the next available allocation. I'm just curious as to when you placed your order. I had originally ordered a 992S in August being told it would arrive in Summer 2022. Then I was informed it would not arrive until early 2023. Then I test drove the Taycan 4S and decided to order that with the promise of a 4-5 month delivery date. One more thing ...it is very weird that no contract was signed and should definitely have one on the lock in date.

mdrobc1213

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I asked the dealer and they gave me the commission number now. Do you think I still need something signed in paper? What paperwork did they provide you?
That's great and they should have given that to you at initial order along with paperwork. I think you have 90% of what you need but without any paperwork signed by either party I would be super leary as the dealer can get the car and say add a huge ADM or other stuff to the car as there is nothing agreed upon. Its their car and you just have an order and commission number and an offer to buy it on whatever terms they propose at delivery. Not a good place to be IMHO but see what others say.

OP
OP

ktvw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s 2022
Country flag
I've dealt with several Porsche Dealers in Quebec over the last 20 years. I never gave more than a $1000 refundable deposit on the 8 Porsches I've owned over the years. If you change your mind after the lock in date ,your dealer may hold you to it, or if the configuration is a common one he may keep it in Inventory and allow you to order a new car, however you would probably have to wait for your turn for the next available allocation. I'm just curious as to when you placed your order. I had originally ordered a 992S in August being told it would arrive in Summer 2022. Then I was informed it would not arrive until early 2023. Then I test drove the Taycan 4S and decided to order that with the promise of a 4-5 month delivery date. One more thing ...it is very weird that no contract was signed and should definitely have one on the lock in date.
Went to the dealership in Dec and they had an allocation with lock date in Jan and April delivery so thats why I put down a deposit immediately.

What is usually included in your contract?

timo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan GTS, Sequoia
Country flag
Went to the dealership in Dec and they had an allocation with lock date in Jan and April delivery so thats why I put down a deposit immediately.

What is usually included in your contract?
The OTD cost of the car. You need to get that in writing asap.
Sponsored