evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2019 BMW i8, 2023 BMW iXM60
Country flag
Can you use the battery in a Taycan to charge / boost another (petrol) car (with a dead battery)?

In a non-EV you can easily link another cars battery to your battery and start it like that.
Is this also possible with a Taycan? And how?
Sure, Its just a 12V (LiFePO4) car battery. Why not?

In fact, here is a portable jump start battery pack which specifically consists of a LiFePO4 battery.

Is it "advisable"? How effective would it be? Those are completely different questions...

I would never try this with MY car (especially given 12V issues we know about), and as such, have never looked to see what Porsche's recommendations are. (It doesn't matter - I simply wouldn't do it). You also have to remove some trim panels to get to the battery so it doesn't lend itself to that very well in any case.

Calling AAA (Roadside Assistance) would be a better bet I think... (Unless "Zombie Apocalypse" or something...)

I'm curious, why are you asking this?

Gubbjaevel

First Name
F
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
TaycanT'20
Country flag
Just to be clear - we're talking about boosting a dead battery, so that an ICE could start, right?

That should be fine, imho.

But then again.. there are a multitude of relatively cheap 12V boosters available.

https://www.google.com/search?q=noco+genius+battery+booster+12v+1000a+gb40

I see no reason (even for a Taycan owner) not to have one of these bad boys laying around. Save yourself from the "dreaded 12V issue", or be the hero of some poor neighbour who's having starting issues, or spice up your sex life for all I care... it's good to come prepared! 12V 1000A is good enough for a dead 5L V10 at -5*C.... (I tried!)

BayAreaJay

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
My moms car broke down .. she drives once every couple of weeks and the car sits outside .. So I want to charge it .. but I think I'll just use my wifes car.
Might be better if you remove the battery and take it to an auto shop to get it charged. In US, Autozone charges for free and will also advise if the battery has any life left.
Take their advice with a grain of salt (obvious reasons) but at least you can get teh battery fully charged and tested at the same time (for free !!)

r553

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
981 Spyder, 2015 Cayenne Diesel, 2020 Taycan 4s
Country flag
The owner's manual does not conceive of the Taycan jumping another car only the other way around. I keep a 12 volt jump battery in my trunk to help people with dead batteries and to help myself if the Taycan 12 volt battery goes flat.

NC_Taycan

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Tesla Model S P85, '17 Cayenne S, '20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
The Taycan 12V system (smaller battery) might not be able to provide sufficient current to jump start a dead ICE - especially one with a big starter motor. I don't know this for certain - just speculating. If you tried, and the voltage on the Taycan's 12V dropped too low, the battery safety relay will disconnect the 12V battery and now you have two cars that need to be jump started...

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo (sold), Mini Cooper SE, Mercedes Sprinter RV, BMW K1600GT
Country flag
The Taycan 12V system (smaller battery) might not be able to provide sufficient current to jump start a dead ICE - especially one with a big starter motor. I don't know this for certain - just speculating. If you tried, and the voltage on the Taycan's 12V dropped too low, the battery safety relay will disconnect the 12V battery and now you have two cars that need to be jump started...
If your Taycan is turned on, the 800v battery will keep the 12v battery’s voltage up unless you exceed the current rating of the DC to DC converter. Which is unlikely unless you are arc welding something in the other car’s engine compartment. Then you might notice a bright light. Don’t stare at the light.

struther

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan GTR, Nissan 350z
Country flag
I'm going to follow the advice here and just get a booster.
At this point I'm pretty confident, she'll need it again in the future ...
I bought the booster for my car in an emergency situation and have used it dozens of times since. Well worth the small investment. I had an old battery in my winter car and ended up boosting it almost every time I needed to drive as opposed to buying a new battery. I eventually got a new one but boosting just became part of my routine for awhile!

r553

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
981 Spyder, 2015 Cayenne Diesel, 2020 Taycan 4s
Country flag
I'm going to follow the advice here and just get a booster.
At this point I'm pretty confident, she'll need it again in the future ...
Better yet buy her a new car battery and a jump battery and teach her how to use it.
Sponsored