B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
I have a generator … on regular gas, 5.5kw/h (400V).
according to specs, autonomy of 8 hours requires 20 liters…means 44kwh (=53% SoC), let say that’s enough for 200km (=10 liters/100km). That would cost me about 36 eur….while the price of kwh at home is 0,05eur/kwh…..
Sponsored

Reactions: Dee

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
I have a generator … on regular gas, 5.5kw/h (400V).
according to specs, autonomy of 8 hours requires 20 liters…means 44kwh (=53% SoC), let say that’s enough for 200km (=10 liters/100km). That would cost me about 36 eur….while the price of kwh at home is 0,05eur/kwh…..
Thank you very much!
So that's very close, even including the many losses.
Too bad it's not slightly better than driving directly on petrol, that would be great to enter as a valid point in those ice vs ev debates...😁

€0,05/kWh is ridiculously low btw...
Here we are around €0,25/kWh but I charge for free at work, lol.
They pay around what you are paying cuz they are big consumer and in the energy business as well. 😇

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
€0,05/kWh is ridiculously low btw...
That’s overnight price while it’s 0,11 during the day.
(i was charging for free at work @32A, but i’ll be retired by the end of this month.)

Reactions: Dee

mod72346

First Name
Mod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S 2021
Country flag
It's quite simple - a plugged car at 100% is not charging. Parking at EV stalls is only allowed when charging, and violations are subject to ticketing and towing.

If there is a non-charging car and you can get around it to plug in, it's your right to use it. A jerk who is hogging a stall should feel lucky his car wasn't towed.

BayAreaKen

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 650i Convertible
Country flag
Another issue I've run across are cars parked in the charging stalls, but not charging at all. Worse, when it's an ICE car.

This happens frequently at my local EA station in a Wal-Mart parking lot in Mountain View, CA. There are 6 stalls, 5 of them fairly close to the front entrance of the store. It isn't unusual for someone to park their car and go shopping -- and not be using the charger.

I've printed a note that I keep in my trunk. It simply says this is not a parking spot, but a charging station for EVs. "You wouldn't park your car at a gas station stall, would you?"

I don't know what the owners think of this, but before I had the note, I spoke with 3 people when they returned to their cars. In one case, I felt that the car owner aggressed on me. I don't need to get shot or stabbed (hey, this is America) over a parking spot, so I switched to the note.

In one other situation, at the same Wal-Mart, the 6th charging stall has the ground painted "EV charging only" on the pavement. Unfortunately, the Wal-Mart hasn't removed the Handicap sign at the foot of the stall. Therefore, that stall is frequently occupied by someone with the handicap placard hanging from their rear view mirror. Having said that, there is just enough room to squeeze my Taycan in and get a charge. One time an owner came back and wanted to say I couldn't park there and he pointed to the handicap sign. I then pointed to the painted note on the ground. "Well that's just confusing," he said as he got into his car and drove away. LOL

Gnasher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S Cross Turismo
Country flag
On a similar note, i was mildly ticked off on Saturday when i went to Bay 2 to charge my car on the services. I was next to another Taycan but he had selfishly used the charger for Bay 2 instead of Bay 1. The difference was that the cable wasn’t long enough to get to the right port on the passenger side so i had to then carefully reverse and move back in. He was oblivious and i didn’t bother saying anything to him. There was nothing wrong with any of the chargers.

There was also a Tesla driver who for some reason couldn’t charge his car and was on 2%. He went to the other chargers and it also wouldn’t work. I think it must be his car but it just wouldn’t work. He didn’t seem to clued up on alternatives and had none of the 100 apps i have on my phone ready. He was heading to a Tesla destination charger round the corner which i thought was risky rather than to download the app and try it again. I nearly used my card to top him up but then i had to leave as had been there for 20 mins trying to assist him.

Vim Schrotnock

First Name
Vim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTB1 Race Cayman, Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
I am VERY reluctant to touch another person's car for any reason. However, if it really is a violation of the charging station rules, and the car can be ticketed or towed, AND if you have absolutely no other choice, I'd probably unplug a 100% charged car.😬

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
When you gotta charge, you gotta charge...especially if the other person's car is full or otherwise stopped.
Sponsored