Charge Plug Stuck at Electrify America

Draman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Picked up my car yesterday and had to make a trip to get it back home around 400 miles. Had to stop at 3 separate Electrify America stations. The first time I stopped, everything worked perfectly. The second AND third time, the plug got stuck. I hit stop charging on the screen, hit the button inside the charge port, waited for the light to turn white, hit the button on the plug and....nothing. The first time I was stuck at the station and on hold with EA for almost 30 minutes until I read the manual about the emergency release cord. I was forced to use the emergency release again at the third station when, once again, the plug would not release. Am I doing something wrong or did I just get unlucky twice? I already have a charger at my house from an E-tron and I was able to plug in and remove that fine (obviously not the same plug as EA, but EA also worked fine the first time).

On another related note, is it possible to reset the cord by myself or do I have to go in to a dealer?
Sponsored

RBGtaycan

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia EV6; Taycan RWD....Past: 356, Cayman S
Country flag
Picked up my car yesterday and had to make a trip to get it back home around 400 miles. Had to stop at 3 separate Electrify America stations. The first time I stopped, everything worked perfectly. The second AND third time, the plug got stuck. I hit stop charging on the screen, hit the button inside the charge port, waited for the light to turn white, hit the button on the plug and....nothing. The first time I was stuck at the station and on hold with EA for almost 30 minutes until I read the manual about the emergency release cord. I was forced to use the emergency release again at the third station when, once again, the plug would not release. Am I doing something wrong or did I just get unlucky twice? I already have a charger at my house from an E-tron and I was able to plug in and remove that fine (obviously not the same plug as EA, but EA also worked fine the first time).

On another related note, is it possible to reset the cord by myself or do I have to go in to a dealer?
first time I used an EA charger I had the same issue..most reliable way to release the cord, for me, has been to use the PCM | Charging | ..... | unlock the charging cord (that has never failed)..if truly desperate, put the car in gear and move it slightly..that also works!

LXSC

First Name
GTS Tycoon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S - BMW I8, Soon Cherry Tycan GTS
Country flag
Like Cherry Red!

By the way I had the same problem - The plug got stuck - I was instructed to press the unlock button 3 times!

The EA person mentioned the whole site at Gilroy outlet was down! That was not the case. I ended up charging. EA Software dashboard needs some work. BUT they are getting better.

Just like tesla - initially they also had major problems. But they are Very good now. Musk was in trouble too. He brags but it was thanks to us supporting he is alive.

One advantage we have is we also have Porsche support, in addition to EA

We still have the Tesla Model S - 0 to 60 in 2.2 Secs. with life time free charging.
The new FSD from Tesla is superb.

The Porsche Drive is †he best ! No comparison

Plan to do more road trips on the Tycan GTS -

Last edited:

Bill33525

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘24 Q8 ETron 55 SUV, '22 Taycan RWD
Country flag
Best to hit the stop button on the DC Fast Charger first. As mentioned clicking unlock on the key FOB has worked for some people as well.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
first time I used an EA charger I had the same issue..most reliable way to release the cord, for me, has been to use the PCM | Charging | ..... | unlock the charging cord (that has never failed)..if truly desperate, put the car in gear and move it slightly..that also works!
o_O What? Taycan lets you put the car in gear and drive off while plugged in?!? There must be something wrong with your car. That would be a major safety issue. Imaging driving off while still plugged into the EA station, by accident.

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
This happened to me once and I realized the car had locked. Unlocking it fixed.

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
o_O What? Taycan lets you put the car in gear and drive off while plugged in?!? There must be something wrong with your car. That would be a major safety issue. Imaging driving off while still plugged into the EA station, by accident.
I don’t think my car lets you move the car at all with the cord connected. I recall forgetting at home once and it wouldn’t let me engage.

RBGtaycan

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
you can drive off at a gasoline station while "plugged in" too.. ability to do something stupid cannot be entirely prevented (sadly)

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
you can drive off at a gasoline station while "plugged in" too.. ability to do something stupid cannot be entirely prevented (sadly)
An EV software knows with certainty that it’s plugged in, therefore it should never let you drive while plugged in. Common sense. Notice that EVs are plugged in significantly more often than gas cars (eg. every day in a garage) and for much longer at a time (plug in one day, unplug another day) so it’s a lot more likely that someone would drive off by mistake.

RBGtaycan

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
you cannot drive a taycan if the car is plugged in
I am doing this from memory, but you can put the car in DRIVE and the car will: 1. unlock the charging cord and 2. pop a warning that you are connected (and prevent further movement) ....thus, if desperate to unlock your charging cord, and nothing else works, you can try this desperate approach. My experience is that using the PCM to unlock is very effective (when pushing buttons fails consistently)..so try that (the PCM) first.
Sponsored