Charging at home

TAYC4S

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911C4S; Jag F-TypeR; Taycan4S; Turbo+992 (ordered)
Country flag
So,

I have a quick couple of questions I hope folks might have recommendations about.
1. If the car is parked in the garage when not being used for more than a few days, should it be kept plugged in and can it be setup to draw power to top-up the battery as needed, or does it have to be on a schedule only?

2. If it is not plugged in how many days can it be left like this before issues arising, ie battery drain or other issues and does the car provide you with any warnings ie via the mobile app?

Thanks
Sponsored

Jdqt458

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Coupe
Country flag
So,

I have a quick couple of questions I hope folks might have recommendations about.
1. If the car is parked in the garage when not being used for more than a few days, should it be kept plugged in and can it be setup to draw power to top-up the battery as needed, or does it have to be on a schedule only?

2. If it is not plugged in how many days can it be left like this before issues arising, ie battery drain or other issues and does the car provide you with any warnings ie via the mobile app?

Thanks
Quite important questions and strange that owners are not being informed of what action to take .
Come on Porsche let us know !

Gubbjaevel

First Name
F
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
TaycanT'20
Country flag
Have they not?

From the manual:
Porsche Taycan Charging at home 1596284935167

Porsche Taycan Charging at home 1596284958383

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2019 BMW i8, 2023 BMW iXM60
Country flag
Quite important questions and strange that owners are not being informed of what action to take .
Set your daily charge level to 85% and simply plug it in whenever its in the garage.

Done.

No need for any fancy math or planning. Its not complicated. One of the major advantages of an EV is its convenience. Just plug it in when you get home and its always ready to go in the morning. (Like your cell phone). It simply becomes part of the routine when you park.

The Taycan will be my 4th EV. This is the way its always been done. The electronics and on-board charger should take care of everything. We've been doing this with our Model-X for about 5 years now. Tesla's motto is : "A plugged in Tesla is a happy Tesla". It would be quite surprising (and exceedingly stupid) if Porsche did not plan for this. Its simply the way its done in the "EV world"...

OP
OP
TAYC4S

TAYC4S

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911C4S; Jag F-TypeR; Taycan4S; Turbo+992 (ordered)
Country flag
Have they not?

From the manual:
1596284935167.png

1596284958383.png
Excellent, thank you! My car is nearing its build date so this type of information is useful. I will see if I can find an online manual to download to answer my many questions!

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
Excellent, thank you! My car is nearing its build date so this type of information is useful. I will see if I can find an online manual to download to answer my many questions!
Download the Good to Know app from Porsche. Loads of information in there and quite ok search function!

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo (sold), Mini Cooper SE, Mercedes Sprinter RV, BMW K1600GT
Country flag
I’ve left my Taycan parked for a week, not plugged in. Less than 1% change in SoC.

Other EV cars I’ve left parked for four months. Unplugged. No problem.

It was an issue with early EVs. (8-10 years ago). It’s not a problem anymore.

Last edited:

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo (sold), Mini Cooper SE, Mercedes Sprinter RV, BMW K1600GT
Country flag
Read the manual.
Read the “Good to Know” app. It’s horrible (too much legal warnings on every page to not do stupid things) that make finding useful information challenging. Also the ‘find’ feature Is horrible. Their indexes are improbably incomplete. How do you screw up a search engine in 2020?!?

dnanian

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan, Tesla Model S, BMW i3
Country flag
It was an issue with early EVs. (8-10 years ago). It’s not a problem anymore.
Hm. It was definitely a problem with my Model S: if I went away for a few weeks, the car would discharge at a 2-4% rate (especially in the winter).

The Taycan is much more "idle" when it's, um, idle. That may also contribute to the extremely slow app connectivity.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
It still is a “feature“ with Tesla to have Phantom Drain! Our Model 3 loses about 0.11 km / h when it is standing still. And that is without Sentry mode cameras active. It has been reduced quite a lot in the latest updates but there is still something going on in the car or in communicating with their servers. Then it increases quite a bit with any OTA updates.

In the Taycan I have not seen any charge being lost when it was standing for 10 days without being connected to a charger. Very pleased with that.

Singularity

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY 2020 Taycan 4S, MY 2022 Audi Q7 60 TFSIe
Country flag
Taycan seems to have such a low phantom drain that I will not be worrying about whether it's plugged in or not when I'm on a trip somewhere. This is great, as in some situations it would just be a lot of extra hassle to make sure it's plugged in.

Gogs

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, 911 4S, Range Rover Sport Hybrid, Range Rover Vouge
Country flag
Taycan seems to have such a low phantom drain that I will not be worrying about whether it's plugged in or not when I'm on a trip somewhere. This is great, as in some situations it would just be a lot of extra hassle to make sure it's plugged in.
Left mine unplugged for two days and saw no drop in SOC.

JC Mann

First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayman S, Tesla Model S
Country flag
It still is a “feature“ with Tesla to have Phantom Drain! Our Model 3 loses about 0.11 km / h when it is standing still. And that is without Sentry mode cameras active. It has been reduced quite a lot in the latest updates but there is still something going on in the car or in communicating with their servers. Then it increases quite a bit with any OTA updates.

In the Taycan I have not seen any charge being lost when it was standing for 10 days without being connected to a charger. Very pleased with that.
I’ve checked my Model S when I was out of town. Gone for 10 days, my SOC lost an average of 1.5% per day. I suspect it’s because it monitors for more electronic activity. Not only approach for unlocking, but OTA stuff, and perhaps Tesla queries for car status.

Gubbjaevel

First Name
F
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
TaycanT'20
Country flag
Mine is left unplugged for 16 days. 2% drop. Left protected, but not heated.
Don't worrry -at all- about inactivity drain.
Sponsored