First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
Hi,

Just picked up a taycan 4s last week and still trying to work out home charging. I know there must be a thousand threads already on home charging, but couldn’t find the answer just yet and wondering if anyone has any advice.

my car is over 3 years old so didn’t come with Porsche connect.

The first thing I was trying was just simple profile to start and finish at a certain time. Profile can be set, plugged in and the charging point in the car flashing blue for a few minutes but then stops. The car doesn’t wake up to charge. But if I press the key fob and it’s between the charging time window it will then start.

my next thought were it must need Porsche connect to use time based charging?

So I ordered Porsche connect, set up myporsche. It can connect to the car fine, set profiles, direct charge, stop charge, so its interaction with the car is good.

However when I set any profile, again it will set up fine and flash blue for a short period, then the car goes to sleep and is not waking up to charge. If I go back into the app, refresh, (sometimes need to logout and back in ) it will reconnect to car and charging will start.

intelligent octopus I set up and it needs active Porsche connect before you can create an account. Its profiles are working fine and charged my car overnight last two nights to 85 percent without any intervention.

It seems to me octopus must fire the profile exactly when it’s time for the car to start charging and in this case it’s fine, but if the car has to wake itself up it’s not able to do so.

I will be relying on octopus to do the charging but thought I’d ask incase anyone else has seen something similar.

Appreciate any advice as it was doing my head in over the weekend 😀
Sponsored

OP
OP

Noelh

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
Hi,

Just picked up a taycan 4s last week and still trying to work out home charging. I know there must be a thousand threads already on home charging, but couldn’t find the answer just yet and wondering if anyone has any advice.

The first thing I was trying was just simple profile to start and finish at a certain time. Profile can be set, plugged in and the charging point in the car flashing blue for a few minutes but then stops. The car doesn’t wake up to charge. But if I press the key fob and it’s between the charging time window it will then start.

So I ordered Porsche connect, set up myporsche. It can connect to the car fine, set profiles, direct charge, stop charge, so its interaction with the car is good.

However when I set any profile, again it will set up fine and flash blue for a short period, then the car goes to sleep and is not waking up to charge. If I go back into the app, refresh, (sometimes need to logout and back in ) it will reconnect to car and charging will start.

intelligent octopus I set up and it needs active Porsche connect before you can create an account. Its profiles are working fine and charged my car overnight last two nights to 85 percent without any intervention.

It seems to me octopus must fire the profile exactly when it’s time for the car to start charging and in this case it’s fine, but if the car has to wake itself up it’s not able to do so.

I will be relying on octopus to do the charging but thought I’d ask incase anyone else has seen something similar.

I’m using a dumb old non smart wall charger, so nothing at the charger end that can be interfering with the schedule.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Hi,

Sounds like tech conflict.

When AC charging at home don't use Porsche profiles or timers that you define - disable these. Let Octopus do this for you. One or the other. Octopus will determine as and when to charge within the limits you set.

OP
OP

Noelh

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
Sounds like tech conflict.

When AC charging at home don't use Porsche profiles or timers that you define - disable these. Let Octopus do this for you. One or the other. Octopus will determine as and when to charge within the limits you set.
Thx, Even before I set up octopus it wouldn’t work. At least octopus can do it fine.

my first impressions are the software isn’t great, but I do like the car.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Thx, Even before I set up octopus it wouldn’t work. At least octopus can do it fine.

my first impressions are the software isn’t great, but I do like the car.
I suspect you may have had conflicting active timers and profiles if just using My Porsche App and possibly an already high charged battery (normally Min is set to 25%) which would explain the pause and duration of it. Typically you only need 1 timer and 1 profile active at any time. Generally 100% reliable in my experience.

OP
OP

Noelh

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
I suspect you may have had conflicting active timers and profiles if just using My Porsche App and possibly an already high charged battery (normally Min is set to 25%) which would explain the pause and duration of it. Typically you only need 1 timer and 1 profile active at any time. Generally 100% reliable in my experience.
I’d deleted all timers and only had a profile with preferred times set active.

I was thinking it was to do with car going to sleep as the blue flashing light went off after a few minutes. By pressing the key after time window, car would wake up start charging and switch itself off at the set end time.

n3ophyte

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Nissan GT-R
Country flag
You need a profile AND a timer. These work for me to get to 85% each day with Octopus Smart Charging disabled …

Porsche Taycan Home Charging IMG_1107

Porsche Taycan Home Charging IMG_1108

OP
OP

Noelh

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
You need a profile AND a timer. These work for me to get to 85% each day with Octopus Smart Charging disabled …

IMG_1107.jpeg

IMG_1108.png
I spoke with Porsche they said if you have a timer set the charging point on the car should constantly flash blue till car charges.

mine flashes blue for 2 minutes and stops flashing, until I press lock unlock on key to on the car and it

IMG_1107.jpeg

IMG_1108.png
I’ve tried all combinations of profiles only, timers only and timers with profiles.

every time the charging port turns blue but stop flashing after two minutes, At this point the car itself will not wake up unless something is pushed to it (unlock car with key, connect and instigate something from my Porsche.
I spoke with Porsche, who said the charging port should continue flashing blue till the charge window is hit. I don’t know if that is because I’m using a very old dumb rolec charging point.

I’ll take it into Porsche and they can check it and just rely on octopus intelligent which is working fine.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I’d deleted all timers and only had a profile with preferred times set active.

I was thinking it was to do with car going to sleep as the blue flashing light went off after a few minutes. By pressing the key after time window, car would wake up start charging and switch itself off at the set end time.
Easier if you share the settings you had active before the introduction of your new setup.

The key has no role in charging so not clear what you mean?

Blue 'pause' status light doesn't stay illuminated all of the time - it can go out, this is quite normal.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I spoke with Porsche they said if you have a timer set the charging point on the car should constantly flash blue till car charges.

mine flashes blue for 2 minutes and stops flashing, until I press lock unlock on key to on the car and it

I’ve tried all combinations of profiles only, timers only and timers with profiles.

every time the charging port turns blue but stop flashing after two minutes, At this point the car itself will not wake up unless something is pushed to it (unlock car with key, connect and instigate something from my Porsche.
I spoke with Porsche, who said the charging port should continue flashing blue till the charge window is hit. I don’t know if that is because I’m using a very old dumb rolec charging point.

I’ll take it into Porsche and they can check it and just rely on octopus intelligent which is working fine.
Your timer and profile settings are what I'd expect them to be. If your Rolec has no control settings in place and is acting simply as a free flow of electricity then it should work as you'd imagine.

Have you tried just using your PMC+ EVSE which came with the car - no need to use a 3rd party EVSE such as Rolec - as an experiment with the timer and profile settings you have, suspect it will work just fine?

I use OVO Charge Anytime for home charging with my PMCC EVSE. OVO talks directly to the car PMC to control profile and timer settings - so no need for anything else (as long as your supply has a Smart Meter attached) - to control the charging session, does the Octopus service not work the same?

OP
OP

Noelh

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
Your timer and profile settings are what I'd expect them to be. If your Rolec has no control settings in place and is acting simply as a free flow of electricity then it should work as you'd imagine.

Have you tried just using your PMC+ EVSE which came with the car - no need to use a 3rd party EVSE such as Rolec - as an experiment with the timer and profile settings you have, suspect it will work just fine?

I use OVO Charge Anytime for home charging with my PMCC EVSE. OVO talks directly to the car PMC to control profile and timer settings - so no need for anything else (as long as your supply has a Smart Meter attached) - to control the charging session, does the Octopus service not work the same?
Thanks that will be my next check, dealer forgot to put in the Porsche mobile charge connect but will try that tomorrow. Thanks for your help.

OP
OP

Noelh

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
yes octopus is able to create a profile and start the charge, but it creates the profile as soon as it wants the car to start its charge. Suspect if it created it in advance it would get the same issue and not start the charge. Thx

not urgent to figure out but if I’m not on an intelligent tariff I’d rather work out why the car will not wake itself up.

but as you say could be the Rolec charge or the third party charging cable

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
yes octopus is able to create a profile and start the charge, but it creates the profile as soon as it wants the car to start its charge. Suspect if it created it in advance it would get the same issue and not start the charge. Thx

not urgent to figure out but if I’m not on an intelligent tariff I’d rather work out why the car will not wake itself up.

but as you say could be the Rolec charge or the third party charging cable
ok - I thought you were on the intelligent tariff - worth it when you get there.

If you can be bothered I would unplug your Rolec and connect your PMC+ to the same socket and give it a whirl with your own / Porsche profile and timer config - pretty certain it will.

OP
OP

Noelh

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
Tried connecting the car directly to then pmc+. Get the same behaviour it flashes blue to determine a future time related charge on car and on the pmc+ but doesn’t start at the set time. As soon as I go into my Porsche app the car wakes then recognises the profile is active and starts to charge.

Not urgent but at least I know the issues with the car, they had changed a high voltage cable before I picked the car up. I’ll take it into Porsche and they can fix it.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Tried connecting the car directly to then pmc+. Get the same behaviour it flashes blue to determine a future time related charge on car and on the pmc+ but doesn’t start at the set time. As soon as I go into my Porsche app the car wakes then recognises the profile is active and starts to charge.

Not urgent but at least I know the issues with the car, they had changed a high voltage cable before I picked the car up. I’ll take it into Porsche and they can fix it.
But you can't control the start time of a charging session - you set the departure itime when you want the car to be charged by.
Sponsored