jkjjpc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 BMW X5 40i, 2020 Tesla Model 3 Performance
Country flag
stop using the tesla charger and adaptor and see what happens. it is apparent that this your issue
I contracted the people at Tesla Tap Mini. They say “there is there is circuit or anything in the Mini that can sign an overcurrent situation, this is done completely in the HPWC.” They recommended I reduce the Tesla wall charger to 40 amps and try that. I did and the car is currently charging. I will report back on outcome.
Sponsored

OP
OP

jkjjpc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 BMW X5 40i, 2020 Tesla Model 3 Performance
Country flag
I contracted the people at Tesla Tap Mini. They say “there is there is circuit or anything in the Mini that can sign an overcurrent situation, this is done completely in the HPWC.” They recommended I reduce the Tesla wall charger to 40 amps and try that. I did and the car is currently charging. I will report back on outcome.
As an update. After I lowered the Tesla Wall Charger to 40 amps in the settings menu (still physically connected to a 50 amp circuit) the Taycan charged fine, albeit at a slower rate. Any experts out there with a theory of why I am getting errors at 50 amp setting? The slower charging will be not a big deal since the car will generally charge overnight, but faster is always better when it comes to charging. I can always switch to the Porsche charger that came with the car to get the 40 amp charging rate (on 50 amp circuit), but it means moving to the other side of the garage where the NEMA 14-50 plug is installed, which is a bit inconvenient, but not impossible.

GRV

First Name
Glenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW X7 | Tesla Model 3 | Taycan 4s (MY21)
Country flag
As an update. After I lowered the Tesla Wall Charger to 40 amps in the settings menu (still physically connected to a 50 amp circuit) the Taycan charged fine, albeit at a slower rate. Any experts out there with a theory of why I am getting errors at 50 amp setting? The slower charging will be not a big deal since the car will generally charge overnight, but faster is always better when it comes to charging. I can always switch to the Porsche charger that came with the car to get the 40 amp charging rate (on 50 amp circuit), but it means moving to the other side of the garage where the NEMA 14-50 plug is installed, which is a bit inconvenient, but not impossible.
I am using a Gen2 Tesla Wall Charger with a 60 AMP Tesla Tap. I completed the first-ever home charge just fine. Charging was at 10.5kW (supply breaker is 60 amp so charging at 48 amps). During second charge, I received a charging error and Tesla Wall Charger has a single red flash every four seconds. Removed Tesla Tap and the charger goes back to a green light (red light clears). Tried to charge again, and as soon as I connect to the Taycan the red light comes on at the Tesla Wall Charger. Any additional thoughts? I have not yet tried to cut back the Wall Charger 40 amps. I know @daveo4EV has used a similar setup.

Last edited:

GRV

First Name
Glenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Maybe there's a defect with your Tesla Tap...
Could be. I'll be giving Tesla Tap a call. I do have a Gen3 Tesla Wall Charger too that I will try this week to see if I have the same issue and also much easier to down-scale charging to 40 amps.

GRV

First Name
Glenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Could be. I'll be giving Tesla Tap a call. I do have a Gen3 Tesla Wall Charger too that I will try this week to see if I have the same issue and also much easier to down-scale charging to 40 amps.
An update. Spoke with Tesla Tap and they were puzzled by the fault behavior and asked that I send it in for testing. We'll see what happens.

GRV

First Name
Glenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
An update. Spoke with Tesla Tap and they were puzzled by the fault behavior and asked that I send it in for testing. We'll see what happens.
I may have jumped the troubleshooting gun thinking it was the Tesla Tap. Turns out I cannot charge A/C at all. PMCC at 6 amps trips the GFCIs on 15 amp circuit and even on a 20 amp circuit the breaker trips. Then, this morning tried to charge at two separate 6.6kW ChargePoint chargers - no joy. Taycan is now at the dealer for service.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
I may have jumped the troubleshooting gun thinking it was the Tesla Tap. Turns out I cannot charge A/C at all. PMCC at 6 amps trips the GFCIs on 15 amp circuit and even on a 20 amp circuit the breaker trips. Then, this morning tried to charge at two separate 6.6kW ChargePoint chargers - no joy. Taycan is now at the dealer for service.
oh my, you need to upgrade to a 240 service and a 50 amp line.
hire an electrician.

GRV

First Name
Glenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
oh my, you need to upgrade to a 240 service and a 50 amp line.
hire an electrician.
I have a GEN2 Tesla Wall Charger -- the first component that showed a fault. I was then trying other sources to troubleshoot.

GRV

First Name
Glenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Confirmed that the A/C charging issue is with the Taycan. Tesla Tap was great in verifying that the Tap is just fine and sending it back. Awaiting on resolution from the dealer, though they said they have exhausted "their know-how" and are now reaching out to Porsche Technical for further guidance.

UPDATE: requires new A/C onboard charger which will take a week. Perhaps it will be a 19.2kW with a valid certificate :oops:
Sponsored

Last edited: