Charging Error - Every. Single. Day. (2022 CT)

Redsport00

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan Cross Turismo
Country flag
We’ve had our 2022 CT since March, but in the past few weeks, we’ve been getting charging errors every time we charge the Taycan. It’s infrequent that it reaches 80 to 100% anymore. If it matters, we’re using the Porsche Charging station that came with the car. I guess I’m reaching out to the dealership again...

Thoughts before I do?
Sponsored

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
the porsche charger sucks - recommend a non-Porsche EVSE - there are lots and lots of threads about how bad it is.

Get another EVSE and you'll be much happier.

if you want more help we're going to need more details about how the charging error is occuring and which end of the charging is reporting the error.

it's possible it's a warranty issue with your vehicle, but unlikely - the odds on favorite bet is it's the Porsche EVSE.

also it's unlikely the dealership will have a clue, will be able to diagnose the issue - it could have something to do with your home setup/electrical system that the dealer won't be able to replicate in their shop.

again I'm betting it's just one of many known issues that the Porsche EVSE simply isn't the best EVSE and others are more reliable and a better choice.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Mine works 100% fine but potentially this is a US issue rather than a generic one.

Check the earthing of the unit and the loading - might be a factor. Overheating can be a US issue predominately (we don't get that hot (despite the recent 40C in England) as a rule).

Skier

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
We’ve had our 2022 CT since March, but in the past few weeks, we’ve been getting charging errors every time we charge the Taycan. It’s infrequent that it reaches 80 to 100% anymore. If it matters, we’re using the Porsche Charging station that came with the car. I guess I’m reaching out to the dealership again...

Thoughts before I do?
I've had the same issue lately after 20 months of no problems. Curious if you find a cause.

Prit

First Name
Colin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4, Aspiring GTS ST owner.
Country flag
I’ve also had the same issue lately. I’ve had the car since January and it started in the last few weeks.

OP
OP

Redsport00

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
the porsche charger sucks - recommend a non-Porsche EVSE - there are lots and lots of threads about how bad it is.

Get another EVSE and you'll be much happier.

if you want more help we're going to need more details about how the charging error is occuring and which end of the charging is reporting the error.

it's possible it's a warranty issue with your vehicle, but unlikely - the odds on favorite bet is it's the Porsche EVSE.

also it's unlikely the dealership will have a clue, will be able to diagnose the issue - it could have something to do with your home setup/electrical system that the dealer won't be able to replicate in their shop.

again I'm betting it's just one of many known issues that the Porsche EVSE simply isn't the best EVSE and others are more reliable and a better choice.
I tell ya, it's a charger - lol. Never knew one charger could be better than another. Honestly, how do I tell what's causing the charging error? I believe the Porsche app only says "Charging Error" but does not specifiy.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I tell ya, it's a charger - lol. Never knew one charger could be better than another. Honestly, how do I tell what's causing the charging error? I believe the Porsche app only says "Charging Error" but does not specifiy.
generally you isolate by using other chargers - if the car charges fine with another charger we have a diagnosis - if it errors with all chargers it’s the car

jkoya

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Taycan CT4, 23 Mini Cooper SE on order
Country flag
I have been charging my 2022 CT4 with a Chargepoint Home Flex EVSE and a Tesla Wall Connector EVSE (with a Lectron 48 amp Tesla to J1772 adaptor) and have gotten no errors. I haven't tried the Porsche EVSE yet - in fact, I never unpacked it, come to think of it.....

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
If you could share more detail on your timers and profiles used as @daveo4EV suggested earlier then we could likely reduce the guesswork and advise further.

Could be hardware, could be installation, could be weather, could be timer / profile settings are at odds and more besides..

amamoy2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Macan GTS, Range Rover, Ariel Atom
Country flag
Have seen other threads on this. My primary home (Porsche charger) has shown the same problems everyone here is highlighting. After months of normal behavior, started to see random charging errors almost every time I plug in for the night, never getting to my 80%. When I go to my lake house w a Chargepoint charger (flawless).

I have noticed that the cable on the Porsche charger is getting very hot and previous threads have talked about it potentially being a thermal error but no way to confirm that. My local dealer in NC had heard of this issue and shared that it was being reported more frequently but no fix or recommendation from Porsche other than to reduce the Amperage on the circuit. By charging slower and lower amps temp maybe goes down and no errors. That is not really a viable option for a Porsche charger for a 180k vehicle IMHO.......

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
Have you tried both sides of the car? My passenger side started going out a few months ago and got progressively worse. Now it only charges about 10% at a time.

Driver side works fine though.

Last edited:

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
could be a bad cable between the charger and vehicle - these are fragile and i had one replaced already - charge port idea is a good one also

basically you have to try different thing to really get an idea of where the failure is

OP
OP

Redsport00

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I'll try a few things and report back.

Temperature could definitely be an issue, too. As we've been mid-90's lately. Add the heat of the garage, and I could see it getting too hot, but it's mid-70s today, and the garage is fairly cool. If it throws an error today, I'll swap to the passenger side and try as well.

RPSRPS

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 TAYCAN GTS / '22 F150 HYBRID / '19 RANGER
Country flag

Thoughts before I do?
I've experienced it 2 or 3 times. I also have a Juice Box at another location, never an issue. I find (at least for me), there is not a single feature the Porsche Mobile Charger Connect has (except for the nice screen) that I use or need over the other units.

OP
OP

Redsport00

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Update: last evening we charged it on the passenger side (first time) instead of the driver side, and it charged to 100% without an issue. Next time we charge it, I'll try it on the passenger side again and see if we avoid the charging error.
Sponsored